Rolex and other high-end time pieces prices

You can always go lower, there's the classic Casio F91W-1.

Would like a F91W-1 for a trip to where a watch may be damaged. It would be my only digital.

buying a rolex at retail is simply a no-go, unless you want something undesirable like a datejust.

naturally people are going to other brands….

Hans Wilsdorf, founder of Rolex once said they made luxury items, not mere watches. They are a very good marketing company, but their watches despite being well made with quality ingredients are not worth anything near what they charge. Omega and Grand Seiko represent a better balance of quality, innovation to price charged. IMHO.
Hmmm, I cannot agree with this. I cannot say anything about Grand Seiko's, never fixed one, but the quality of mouvement construction and general craftmanship is higher with a rolex. I do not see how all that technology omega says is coming up with adds any real value to their watches. Rolex fell in that trap with their "new" 32XX series and got it wrong (new escapement desing). Google "rolex 32xx series problems".
I have no affiliation with any watch brand, just 20 years working on wristwatches.

About 6 months ago I bought a 14 y.o. Omega Seamaster from a seller in Japan. The watch has been great. +/- 2 sec a day. Recently it kept perfect time for 8 days straight when it was worn every day. I paid $1900 after all the ins and outs of luxury watch buying were taken care of. It doesn't look like a "Dive Watch" with the white gold, kinda neutral rotating bezel. The movement is the Omega 1130, the last of the non coaxial movements in a Seamaster 300M. Since purchase it has appreciated about $300 according to Chrono 24. Yes the market is crazy. Omega and their AD's have recently instigated a no discount policy for new Omega. We'll see how long that lasts. AD's need to move product. If their is no waiting lists they have product to sell.

Sorry for the boring Covid ramblings
that is a good score, omega collectors will pay more for that watch than for the following coaxial version (lots of problems with those...)
the 1130 (ETA 2892 base) is a easy to service reliable movement.

that is a good score, omega collectors will pay more for that watch than for the following coaxial version (lots of problems with those...)
the 1130 (ETA 2892 base) is a easy to service reliable movement.
The 1130 Caliber movement was a powerful motivating factor. I guess the 4th version of the co-axial is finally right. Just loving the look and the accuracy. Uber comfy bracelet that still clicks and locks like it is a year old, not 14.

I'm way at the bottom of the barrel with my Timex Expedition and Swiss Army watches. 😖
I have a vintage Victorinox Swiss Army Quartz from around 1995. It has lume that will light the night. Loses about 2 min a month. Funny thing is the newest version of the watch uses the EXACT Same wrist band 25 years later. Go figure :unsure:

Upkeep can be expensive on some of these watches. A friend of mine has an IWC. I was surprised to hear how much it costs to service, and how often it needs it.
I have a 1971 Orient Kingdiver 21. Bought it new as a graduation present for myself. It cost about $45. It was one of the early diver's style large watches. It's still quite striking in appearance.

I've replaced the crystal and have had to make a few minor repairs but it still runs well. I don't wear it very much because it costs a lot to keep it going. It needs a clean and oil every 3 - 5 years which (at last count) cost about $300.

My everyday watch is a recent Seiko quartz. Blue face, 100 meters waterproof, quartz crystal. Nice watch but nothing special. If it gets scratched or dented, no harm done.

My dress watch is a 7 year old Swiss Army diver's style watch. Black face, 100 meters waterproof, quartz crystal. It was a retirement gift. It's a nice watch, and should go a long, long time. My last Swiss Army quartz watch lasted about 20 years in hard everyday use. That old watch is being refurbished for my grandson as his first real watch.

I don't own an expensive watch. None of my well off friends own one either.

I used to be big into watches but never the really high dollar ones. I think the most I ever paid was about $1,500 for one of my Doxa watches back in the mid 2000's. I prefer dive watches but since I retired about four years ago, I don't wear a watch that often.

Most of my watches are automatics and the price to service one has gotten outrageous over the past few years and is why I now mostly wear a quartz watch when I do wear one.

I paid 680 to have my old Rolex DJ from 1991 serviced ...and was a local repair guy not sending it to Rolex in Dallas......last time it it took 3 months to get my GMT back and cost 837.00 bucks last year.

Back