Rolex and other high-end time pieces prices

I dont understand the fascination with $5K watches other then look at me.
I have a 20-year-old Tag Heuer Link that was a wedding gift that has been on my wrist every day through thick and thin. I just inherited from my FIL a 1987 Rolex Datejust. I sent it out to Rolex for an overhaul and just got it back.

They are both really nice and reliable watches and I enjoy them both. While I could easily go out and buy either of these watches new with little thought as far $, I just would never do it.

So I guess I really like nice but "free" watches...lol

P.S. - Not totally free - the Tag had an overhaul at 10 years and could use another (it is an automatic and starting to run fast) and Rolex overhaul was ~$1000 but it needed a new crystal too.
tempImageXZS4Ie.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the Omega and Rolex class watches, usually require a service between 5-7 years, Omega charges about $700, but that includes any needed parts, some of their newer METAS Co-Axial movements can be pushed to 8 years or so. I stay with the Stainless versions, they attract less attention than the gold "Mug Me" models, can't afford them either.......
Im old(er) at 64 and walk with a cane...so i scream "mug me" about 5 years ago i was getting in my car at a HEB when i hear "give me your watch (Rolex GMT) or im goin to slice you open" my reply was never bring a knife to a gun fight....lucky I had my little Ruger LCR .38
in my pants pocket.
all you could see was an a-hole and elbow.....he ran into a P/U .....idiot.

Rolex prices have jumped way up due to what is anybody guess.....mine would be that Rolex is holding back trying to drive the price up but again just a guess.....ive heard covid,supply issues etc...
Bottom line is do you think high prices are here to stay or will they drop in a year or so....my friends no date sub took 28 months on order to get and paid 5k over.... crazy 4 months ago.
Tried to sell my wifes Datejust and can't get **** for it. It's in very nice shape with all original boxes, receipt, papers etc.

Hans Wilsdorf, founder of Rolex once said they made luxury items, not mere watches. They are a very good marketing company, but their watches despite being well made with quality ingredients are not worth anything near what they charge. Omega and Grand Seiko represent a better balance of quality, innovation to price charged. IMHO.

Tried to sell my wifes Datejust and can't get **** for it. It's in very nice shape with all original boxes, receipt, papers etc.
Ladies Rolex DJ have never held their value well....the Mens sport models have increased 3x and 4x their purchase cost (Subs,GMT,Daytona)
mens dj models are flat too in price.....meaning they may go up in value some but nothing like the sport models.
knowing this i got my gf a slightly used 31mm dj two-tone last year.

About 6 months ago I bought a 14 y.o. Omega Seamaster from a seller in Japan. The watch has been great. +/- 2 sec a day. Recently it kept perfect time for 8 days straight when it was worn every day. I paid $1900 after all the ins and outs of luxury watch buying were taken care of. It doesn't look like a "Dive Watch" with the white gold, kinda neutral rotating bezel. The movement is the Omega 1130, the last of the non coaxial movements in a Seamaster 300M. Since purchase it has appreciated about $300 according to Chrono 24. Yes the market is crazy. Omega and their AD's have recently instigated a no discount policy for new Omega. We'll see how long that lasts. AD's need to move product. If their is no waiting lists they have product to sell.

Sorry for the boring Covid ramblings

I own Timex, Seiko, Hamilton and Omega. I enjoy watches of all types. Most precious to me is my Hamilton Khaki Field Manual which my wife bought me as a wedding day gift with an engraving on the case back. Automatic movements are fascinating. Grandfather bought an Omega Constellation in 1960s and my Dad now wears it.

Hans Wilsdorf, founder of Rolex once said they made luxury items, not mere watches. They are a very good marketing company, but their watches despite being well made with quality ingredients are not worth anything near what they charge. Omega and Grand Seiko represent a better balance of quality, innovation to price charged. IMHO.
I have read many time Rolex makes a great 1500 dollar watch.....is a sub worth 15k .....hell no.

Interesting 'timing' of this thread. I have a Omega 'Omegamatic' from the late 90's that I've worn daily for several years. Because it is a smaller case/dial (which I prefer) with skeleton hands, I'm thinking about selling it because without glasses I can't read it at times. Also, being a kinetic type movement I don't want to let it sit unworn for an extended period allowing the battery (capacitor) fully discharge.

I've seen them occasionally on auction on ebay, but wondering if anyone can suggest a better place to sell it.

Interesting 'timing' of this thread. I have a Omega 'Omegamatic' from the late 90's that I've worn daily for several years. Because it is a smaller case/dial (which I prefer) with skeleton hands, I'm thinking about selling it because without glasses I can't read it at times. Also, being a kinetic type movement I don't want to let it sit unworn for an extended period allowing the battery (capacitor) fully discharge.

I've seen them occasionally on auction on ebay, but wondering if anyone can suggest a better place to sell it.
I would try watch forums like watchtime etc....thats a watch Omega only made for 2-3 years i think....its seems to be going for about 2k or more

I currently own an Explorer 1 Rolex, Rolex GMT Coke, and a Rolex DJ roman numeral dial 2 tone from the late 90's
2 Omegas Seamaster 120 and Speedmaster Moonwatch
1 Blancpain Fifty Fathoms from 2019 blue dial
1 Breitling Superocean from mid 90's
2 Tudor's.... Chrono prince and a Blackbay 58

Trying to decide what Rolex to get a Sub date ceramic 40mm and GMT Ceramic 40mm with the green gmt hand or a Milgauss
of the three what would be your pick....Im partial to the Sub .....but having a hard time.

I have always wanted an Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. I am at a point in my life where I can afford one finally. But the price increased recently by about $2000 with the new movement. I will probably still buy one. I'm not getting any younger. I just spent almost that much on a crown for one of my molars and some gutter and drainage system work on my house and think I would have enjoyed the Omega a lot more.
I respect Rolexes but there is something about the history of the Speedmaster that appeals to me more.

I have always wanted an Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. I am at a point in my life where I can afford one finally. But the price increased recently by about $2000 with the new movement. I will probably still buy one. I'm not getting any younger. I just spent almost that much on a crown for one of my molars and some gutter and drainage system work on my house and think I would have enjoyed the Omega a lot more.
I respect Rolexes but there is something about the history of the Speedmaster that appeals to me more.
A Dentist will put you in the poor house...I lost 9 teeth in a motorcycle crash in 79....so i have had partial dentures most all of my life ....when i got a little cash ahead 5 years ago i went for implants for my whole mouth....it was pricie...but i wont be eating and have the dentures come loose on my left upper side and fall out.....which they did once! on a date! about 30 years ago.
Have you looked a used Speedmaster? I've had mine almost 20+ years now...still runs like a champ....its the older model which i like better thats 39 mm and not the larger ones of today.

The Omega Moonwatch is an iconic piece of history, I had an 1861 which i traded (for more than i paid for it) on one of the new 3861 Sapphire Sandwich METAS models on a bracelet, latv20210330_151724.jpger added a deployant strap. In short, it's a delight, a bit thinner and the dial/ face has been backdated to the contours of the caliber that was worn on Apollo 11. The movement now hacks and mine has been accurate to +1-1.5 sec/day. The latest update is, IMHO, well worth the price. I got the Sapphire Instead of the Hesalite because I wear it every day. The bracelet upgrade is also very nice.

Buying a Rolex or other high-end watch is a lot like buying really expensive golf clubs. I don't see how the market and prices can do anything but crash, and fairly soon.

If you hadn't noticed, few people under about age 40 wear a watch. To check the time, they use their phones. By the same token, golf courses are closing right and left as the golf players age and die. Few under 40 play golf. Eventually the market for expensive watches will dry up as Rolex buyers similarly age and die.

Tip: few of the extremely wealthy, such as the late billionaire Ross Perot, flaunt wealth by wearing Rolexes. To them that's unnecessary spending, and that's how they kept their fortunes.

You can't go wrong with a Speedy, whether it's the older or the new model.

Tip: few of the extremely wealthy, such as the late billionaire Ross Perot, flaunt wealth by wearing Rolexes. To them that's unnecessary spending, and that's how they kept their fortunes.
Urban legend

I have quite a few family members on Wall Street and many are second generation. They don't have billions but they certainly have tens of millions and they all have very nice watches, clothing, houses, vehicles, take really expensive vacations, all their kids go to private school, they belong to multiple country clubs, etc, and they still have tens of millions left over. All their friends are the same...

I dont understand the fascination with $5K watches other then look at me.
They last. I've got a SS date sub that I bought in 2000. I've worn it every single day since then. I've welded with it, dug post holes, poured concrete, changed oil and plugs, built engines, ported cylinder heads etc. I never take it off unless I'm water skiing.

Back