Rolex and other high-end time pieces prices

Rolex prices have jumped way up due to what is anybody guess.....mine would be that Rolex is holding back trying to drive the price up but again just a guess.....ive heard covid,supply issues etc...
Bottom line is do you think high prices are here to stay or will they drop in a year or so....my friends no date sub took 28 months on order to get and paid 5k over.... crazy 4 months ago.

Rolex sells via an authorized dealer network. The AD's are not allowed to charge above MSRP for a Rolex. Demand is high and the grey market is willing to pay double or triple the MSRP. Not too long ago a Rolex AD was caught selling for a massive profit to the grey market. Rolex should probably sell directly without a middleman. Some luxury brands already do that.

Rolex sells via an authorized dealer network. The AD's are not allowed to charge above MSRP for a Rolex. Demand is high and the grey market is willing to pay double or triple the MSRP. Not too long ago a Rolex AD was caught selling for a massive profit to the
This is GREAT for collectors.
Keeping a Rolex in your investment portfolio is like gold and silver, but it tells time.
Owner of a green Rolex Submariner. :D

grey market. Rolex should probably sell directly without a middleman. Some luxury brands already do that.
I know somebody who paid 5k over sticker for a Kia Telluride...they dont suppose to but do.
This is GREAT for collectors.
Keeping a Rolex in your investment portfolio is like gold and silver, but it tells time.
Owner of a green Rolex Submariner. :D
You are lucky! My Coke GMT is a D serial i bought used in 2008 for 3500.....sometimes you get lucky......I tried to get one of the ceramic subs before the price went nuts....but keep thinking it would drop and lost out.

Rolex prices have jumped way up due to what is anybody guess.....mine would be that Rolex is holding back trying to drive the price up but again just a guess.....ive heard covid,supply issues etc...
Bottom line is do you think high prices are here to stay or will they drop in a year or so....my friends no date sub took 28 months on order to get and paid 5k over.... crazy 4 months ago.

Make too much of anything high end and it becomes like a Toyota Corolla.
Produce very little to create a demand and then jack up prices.

Rolex are out of my budget, I’d love to own one.

I dont understand the fascination with $5K watches other then look at me.

I hear this often.

Bunch of ways to look at it that have nothing to do with narcissism.

Certain brands (about 4) and models will reliably appreciate over time - the basic SS Rolex Submariner being one such watch.

One can view it as a wearable stock certificate, or a wearable asset, more durable than almost anything one will own.

Omegas, too. I saw an old, beaten up one at a thrift shop for $1,900.
Omegas, due to low production and increased demand are now selling at or above retail for certain models, Especially the Speedmaster Professional, AKA "The Moonwatch" which recently transitioned to an updated METAS certified movement, With all the current activity with trips into space, the "First Watch Worn On The Moon" has taken on a whole new interest for many. Omegas are excellent watches but generally don't appreciate like the sport or tool watch Rolexes, except for the 2015 Omega "Snoopy" Speedmaster which originally sold for about $6500, now they're bringing $20-40K. It's uniqueness, scarcity and limited numbers produced along with its association with the Apollo 13 mission have skyrocketed it's appeal.

Omegas, due to low production and increased demand are now selling at or above retail for certain models, Especially the Speedmaster Professional, AKA "The Moonwatch" which recently transitioned to an updated METAS certified movement, With all the current activity with trips into space, the "First Watch Worn On The Moon" has taken on a whole new interest for many. Omegas are excellent watches but generally don't appreciate like the sport or tool watch Rolexes, except for the 2015 Omega "Snoopy" Speedmaster which originally sold for about $6500, now they're bringing $20-40K. It's uniqueness, scarcity and limited numbers produced along with its association with the Apollo 13 mission have skyrocketed it's appeal.
I own two Omegas A Seamaster 120 auto from about 1995 and the Speedy Moonwatch bought in 1999....I have not wore the 120 in many years but still wear the Moonwatch a few times a month....I just got it back from service back in June.....looks almost new again.....

Upkeep can be expensive on some of these watches. A friend of mine has an IWC. I was surprised to hear how much it costs to service, and how often it needs it.

i have an oyster i bought in 1993 for $3400. hardly wore it and gave to my son. i told him " every man has to have a nice suit, watch and pair of shoes" .
I really don't have a nice suit but two of these. Maybe I ought to spring for a new suit;

1631984577837.jpg

I have a 1982 Seiko Quartz now on its seventh battery. Almost forty years of continuous running and still keeps perfect time. Only problem is hatch slot has wallowed out somewhat and rubber gasket is fubar.

Upkeep can be expensive on some of these watches. A friend of mine has an IWC. I was surprised to hear how much it costs to service, and how often it needs it.
Most of the Omega and Rolex class watches, usually require a service between 5-7 years, Omega charges about $700, but that includes any needed parts, some of their newer METAS Co-Axial movements can be pushed to 8 years or so. I stay with the Stainless versions, they attract less attention than the gold "Mug Me" models, can't afford them either.......

Back