Rockauto rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
If items on clearence have a 30 day return policy, anything 31+ days and they dont have to do a thing.

You might say its only a $2 item, but then again, so can they. The only difference is that you bought from them and per their rules (which you read I'm assuming), they are no longer required to provide you any sort of CS for that order.

I bought a Denso wiper blade for the Jeep along with some oil filters for her car. The bill came to $21 shipped. I attempted to install the blade the day after it came in, but it didn't work. I called their CS the following day and the lady just gave me the credit back and said I didnt need to return the blade. I still have it, but there isn't much I can do with it either. Seems wasteful to just pitch I guess.

What I DO like about the Rock is they are not shy about telling a poor soul stuck with a CARB emissions vehicle in a non-CARB state when they can use a cheaper non-CARB replacement part.

I had to return some wheel cylinders this week to Rockauto. You can fill out all the return paperwork and print a shipping label from their web site. You then get their discount on the shipping. 6 wheel cylinders for this truck (guess the application!) cost me less than $7 to return.

I experienced a quality problem with one of their "wholesaler clearance" items a few months ago. The part was rather heavy so they didn't ask for it back and sent me a new one. Problem is the new one was the wrong application so they sent me a prepaid label and refunded my money.

If you want the convenience and "service" available locally you're still able to pay for it!

Originally Posted By: buck91
So, purchased some wipe blades off Rockauto back at the end of August.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
You are arguing about $2 on a part they delivered to you 90 days ago.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Getting butt hurt over a $2 part that you waited 90 days to install is a little over the top, too.

Just FYI...end of August to end of October = 60 days, not 90 days.

As for my experience with RockAuto, yes their clearance items are almost always the cheap Chinese stuff, but the one time I had a problem with some parts (hood struts I believe) it was out of the warranty period and they actually made an exception to accept the return for a refund (not store credit).

Three out of my last four rockauto orders I have had issue with.

Received defective brake rotors with grooves machined into them.

Rockauto exchanged those for another set.

Ordered the 2 dollar wipers also, one of them worked fine, the other one had none of the mounting hardware for my toyota. I had to throw it out then buy a single wiper at napa.

The most recent issue was I purchased a transmission pan filter kit, with gasket.

The gasket worked fine, the filter was not for my application so I threw that out.

I still like the company, but sometimes I get better service just going to advance auto. The store manager knows me and makes sure I get the right stuff.

Last I checked, 60 days is still more than the 30 day warranty/return period.

Buyers fault for not verifying the part fit within the warranty/return period. Not Rock Auto's fault.

End of story.

I never understood the hate some have for Rockauto, they are a heavy discounter and sell overstock and closeout items as their mainstay.

I think for every once in a blue moon turd I have received from Rockauto, I am still thousands of dollars ahead overall.

It is like the "participation trophy" special snowflake generation is coming of age and threads arguing over $2 on principle or whatever will become more frequent.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I never understood the hate some have for Rockauto, they are a heavy discounter and sell overstock and closeout items as their mainstay.

I think for every once in a blue moon turd I have received from Rockauto, I am still thousands of dollars ahead overall.

Well, closeouts are not really their "mainstay." Most of the products listed on their site are new, normal stock.

I personally don't buy that many of their closeouts, because when I need a part they don't necessarily have a closeout option for that part. I have bought some closeouts, but most of what I've bought has been normal stock. Still, I've saved a good bit of cash using RA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back