RockAuto parts? Good or not?

I’m looking at getting a few parts but one of them kind of struck me. SKP Water Pump for like $20. Are SKP parts worth dealing with?

My vehicle is an 02 Chevy Trailblazer LS.

No.

As far as your question concerning Rock Auto Parts, they have some weird commercials. That is the best thing I can say about them.

Rockauto is the best online site for parts that exists. It usually gives many choices for any available part usually with a picture(s). It tells you upfront the cost with shipping. You can utilize their catalog to get part numbers to shop elsewhere. They are easy to deal with if you know what you need and order the correct part. Stay away from closeout and open box merchandise as most of the people that whine about Rockauto are the proof of concept. They play some games with their drop ship warehouses if you order multiple parts but as an informed consumer you can contrast their cost and shipping times to other online and brick and mortar stores. In the past when they have made the mistake and the order is not correct, they are prompt and courteous to resolve the issue. If the mistake is on you because you don't know what you specifically need and order the wrong part, take it out of its packaging, perhaps roll it around in the dirt and then contact Rockauto in a huff, you get to learn from your mistake.

I recently ordered 2 overhauled rear calipers and brake pads for my Jag from RockAuto. I did not pay for expedited shipping, yet they came FAST, from NY to FL. Many days ahead of the delivery date.

One minor issue, the pads shipped from a different warehouse, so I had to pay 2 shipping charges. However the $50 pads were $10 on clearance, so the $8 shipping charge was OK. It's best to ensure everything ships from the same warehouse if not getting a deal.

The core return was fantastic too, with a couple of notes:
1) must use original boxes and parts must be in the correct box.
2) must select "core return" online for both (all) parts before printing the label. (otherwise you will print up 2 labels, more cost)
3) the return is via FedEx ground. $8 to return 15 pounds, FL to NY. Even my FedEx account can't do it that cheaply.

Bottom line: Half the cost of the local auto parts store for the very same part.

Last edited:
Often great prices but you have to factor in shipping fees which can negate the good prices if you're not careful.

I tend to use them for jobs I’ll be doing in a few days rather than overnighting it in (way too expensive). I avoid the absolute cheapest parts because of fitment, or quality because I don’t want to have to re-do the job all over again.

I did that once on a (now trashed by its buyer) 99 Crown Victoria... I got the cheapest wheel bearing hubs. When I went to install them the inner race just fell off and all the ball bearings fell out. I packed it up and the other untouched one and returned them. RockAuto refunded it totally, so I have no issues. Learned a lesson to not always buy the cheapest parts. I ended up buying a set locally (oddly, one from OReilly and the other from NAPA; no one had a pair in stock).

I've been using RA since they started. The best listing and comparison online by far IMO.
Lately their shipping has been coming to me in a day or two for the standard price. I guess amazon competition is working as their prices are better now than amazon even with shipping.

^ I still find Amazon beating them around 1/3 of the time, more so when the item is big or heavy so the shipping cost rises, or an inexpensive part so the RA shipping cost is a high % of the total.

I usually check them for parts prices and then hit Amazon for reviews and order as the reviews show.Once in a while Amazon ,Parts Geek or some one on Ebay will beat their prices....

My thoughts are the same. Been using them for a decade, no wrong shipments. Sometimes go elsewhere when shipping costs are too high, but never got angry about that. Still need to comparison shop. Brand choice is on you.

The only disappointment was old wiper blades bought on closeout. About half lasted only a month. At a buck a piece, a very cheap lesson learned. I will continue to use them.

Just a quick update. I returned the 2 core brake calipers for $8.58 shipping charge. Rock Auto got them in 3 days, and credited me on arrival. The returned the core charges on both calipers and the tax charged. Nice!

Grand total, $163 for 2 overhauled calipers and brake pads. That's the same price as one local caliper and no brake pads!

If it is a reputable brand off of there yes if it’s a cheap brand no. Like I was looking for brake pads for my truck well they had the Raybestos ones on wholesaler closeout for $5 each so I picked up 5 sets out of 10 can’t beat that for better quality brake pads then you would get from the store and I have bought a lot of other things from them too

I got a good deal on Power Stop pads and rotors kit. They were shipped direct from Power Stop only about 60 miles or so from here. I ordered Wix filters and one of them was wrong. Their fault. They provided a shipping label and shipped the right one right away.

I've been using them for years and have pretty much always had great luck with them. Recently I did order some engine mounts from them for my 92 Cavalier and my fiancee's 94 Cavalier.

They were all the same brand but were made in two different country's. The China ones looked okay but the other ones looked like crap and some of the studs were bent. I requested a refund on a couple of the mounts but it was going to cost more to ship them back then they cost to buy and the refund I was going to get so I just used what I could and bought replacements locally which were not much better. The only real negative was that I had to pay for return shipping on a bad part and you don't get reimbursed for that.

I have not had any issues with them. I have returned a few parts too that I ordered incorrectly, no problems there either.

Rockauto has been great to me, I buy 90%+ of my parts from them. I've had pretty good luck with their cheap stuff (SKP, Ultra Power & others), but I try not to go too cheap on hard-to-replace stuff or crucial components. No sense saving $20 on a timing belt job when your engine is on the line if something breaks. I've bought many a SKP & Ultra-Power sensor and nothing has died on me yet. I have a feeling they come from the same factory as many of the (formerly quality) name brands that are also outsourced overseas, just without paying for the name.

Ultra-Power can be a good gamble sometimes, I've received a lot of stuff that's just reboxed OEM or top-tier brand. Other times it's foreign made, arguably junk, though again I haven't had any real problems with their stuff.

I'm a big fan of their closeout inventory. My older vehicles, that's pretty much all they get (when it's available.) I can see some trepidation buying rubber parts that might degrade (belts for example,) but what can go wrong with a spark plug or sensor that's been sitting on the shelf for a few years? I'm game for buying anything closeout, I've bought it all-- filters, belts, shocks, bushings, brakes, etc. If the part looks suspect, I toss it aside and eat the couple dollars. I've saved a boatload of money on closeout parts, it certainly helps me keep my 200k+ mile vehicles on the road.

As mentioned earlier, there's always a 5% off coupon to be had. Just search on Google, you'll find plenty of them. Retailmenot.com always has them.

Back