Rockauto not for the OCD prone

Bought a 6 pack of ACdelco pf64 from rock auto. They had 12 packs for a reduced price a bit but that was too many for me. Also, on ebay I saw the 12 packs were fleet packs, non indivually boxed. Well, I get my package today and the box has 6 bare filters with no individual boxes, ok no biggie. But on top of that the filters were banged around and not even bagged and one filter had paint that was decently chipped off. I found chippings of the blue paint on the base plate of other filters and fished some out of the threads of other filters with a tooth pick. Fair warning. I got a good deal on these buy not sure I would buy this again.

I just ordered and received a 12-pack of Motorcraft FL-500S filters from RockAuto. Something like $4.xx a filter.

Yes, they were sans individual boxes, but the sealed box they all came in had them separated by cardboard, and covered with bubble wrap. I was actually very impressed with the packaging.

Sorry you didn’t have the same experience. Maybe the Shipping Dept is staffed by Blue Oval fans. 😉

I just ordered and received a 12-pack of Motorcraft FL-500S filters from RockAuto. Something like $4.xx a filter.

Yes, they were sans individual boxes, but the sealed box they all came in had them separated by cardboard, and covered with bubble wrap. I was actually very impressed with the packaging.

Sorry you didn’t have the same experience. Maybe the Shipping Dept is staffed by Blue Oval fans. 😉
Hey, wait a minute...............😁

The problem with Rock Auto is there is no "shipping department". They consolidate orders, send them to various wholesalers, and they ship them to you. There appears to be zero quality inspection or standards. One part is perfect, next part shipped same day from different supplier arrives with no packaging at all.

Sometimes the price is worth the chance, but don't spend more than your willing to loose because good luck getting a return or warranty.

I do still buy a lot from Rock Auto, but only if I save half a lot and its worth chancing. . In fairness the wix filters I ordered a year ago were individually boxed and well packaged and shipped.

Its likely they are more familiar with blue oval parts since so many are required ;)

This has been my personal experience when ordering full cases, they are the shop packs and they have always come well packaged...

I just ordered and received 5 Mahle filters for my truck from RA and each was individually boxed with packing material around them. The filters also were wrapped over the base plate with stretch wrap.

The problem with Rock Auto is there is no "shipping department". They consolidate orders, send them to various wholesalers, and they ship them to you. There appears to be zero quality inspection or standards. One part is perfect, next part shipped same day from different supplier arrives with no packaging at all.

Sometimes the price is worth the chance, but don't spend more than your willing to loose because good luck getting a return or warranty.

I do still buy a lot from Rock Auto, but only if I save half a lot and its worth chancing. . In fairness the wix filters I ordered a year ago were individually boxed and well packaged and shipped.
This, I've used Rockauto for over a decade now? They have always been very hit and miss, some times I have absolutely no issue, some times I get the part and start to work on the vehicle to replace it, only to find out the part they sent me is clearly used. I've had them send me used brake pads before, it's kinda become a necessity for me to check the parts before I start working. They have some good prices, but the warehouse is full of drones, bright red 'RETURN' doesn't seem to catch their attention when packaging.

Ya good thing I used PayPal, I think I will return these with the free return shipping. I cleaned up most of the paint but I dont want this crap going from the clean side directly to oiling system.

That's not how Rockauto operates. They partner with auto parts distributors, the same companies that supply your smaller, independent auto parts stores (many are regional "chains"). If you go to a smaller parts store and they don't have the item on the shelf, but tell you "we can have it here by this afternoon" or "we'll have it in the morning", they're getting the part from a nearby warehouse. Those same warehouses supply parts and ship for Rockauto. Ever notice how random the packaging is with items rec'd from Rockauto ? It's because those warehouses weren't really set up for UPS or Fedex shipping, they use their own truck(s) to deliver parts to their stores.

Next time you get a package from Rockauto, Google the return address it came from (will be on the shipping label). You'll see what I mean.

That's not how Rockauto operates. They partner with auto parts distributors, the same companies that supply your smaller, independent auto parts stores (many are regional "chains"). If you go to a smaller parts store and they don't have the item on the shelf, but tell you "we can have it here by this afternoon" or "we'll have it in the morning", they're getting the part from a nearby warehouse. Those same warehouses supply parts and ship for Rockauto. Ever notice how random the packaging is with items rec'd from Rockauto ? It's because those warehouses weren't really set up for UPS or Fedex shipping, they use their own truck(s) to deliver parts to their stores.

Next time you get a package from Rockauto, Google the return address it came from (will be on the shipping label). You'll see what I mean.
I think we said the same thing?

Have to be careful, too-there have been reports of RA's distributors dumping their junk on unsuspecting RA customers... And RA doesn't want to give you your money back! I had to threaten a CC charge back when it happened to me to force them to (somewhat) make it right.

Reminds me, I need to check the RA box that's supposed to have a transmission filter in it and make sure it's not broken, or a used hubcap.
I meant known dented oil filters, used parts that had been returned, reboxed & resold, and listing incorrect filters for an application in their online catalog (what happened to me, still have a box of Cat 3208 filters that were supposed to fit a 7.3). RA is too concerned with taking care of their distributors, sometimes at the expense of their customers. I still buy from them, but I took a year+ break from them after the filter debacle.

Back