Road hazard warranty..Is it worth it to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto for Sam's Club.

Now you are paying the annual membership. However, we now have 5 cars. It's far cheaper than any road hazard coverage offered by a traditional tire dealer.

Originally Posted By: ramammoth
I buy tires from Costco and its included in the tire price. Prices are very competitive and peace of mind.

If you avoid any extended/extra/hazard warranty/low deductibles in your life and place some (not all)into a bank account. You'll have plenty money in a rainy day fund.

Companies bet you never use it so why not use those odd in your favor with your own account?

Road Hazard warranties are for folks who don't understand stats or really basic odds well.

My dirt road must attract nails.im guessing they are in the bed of pickups and the bumps allow them to bounce out the back,under the tailgate. We probly get 6 or so flats a year between my wife and i.

I ocasionally take my metal detector down the road and pick up hand fulls of nails.

Depends what you are insuring and what the cost is.

14 inch tires on my saturn were 60 dollars each. Not worth spending 12-15 dollars on insurance for road hazard.

18 inch tires for my RAV4 are $111 each, still not worth insuring.

I could see if you have very expensive tires on something like a runflat BMW or a corvette, but on a regular car I would say no.

Costco builds it into the cost of the tire, so it is really not free, you just do not have the choice of not buying it.

Several tire manufacturers include it with some of thier new tires. Covers it long enough to get you through the first year or 2 anyway. Beyond that, with a purchased hazard warranty, it ends up being pro-rated. IMO, it is not worth the extra charge. I have saved plenty over the years by not paying extra for it. It is a big money maker for tire dealers though.

My latest set from DTD comes with free RH. Maybe it's worthwhile in places that are really hard on tires, like equatorial countries with unimproved roads or if you live by the nail factory. Otherwise I have this conversation every time I get a new set of tires:

Counter Guy: Do you want Road Hazard with that? I covers...
Me: Does it cover Sidewall damage?
Counter Guy: No, but it covers...
Me: No thanks.

I'm approaching 1 million miles of motoring, and the only tires I've had to replace early had sidewall damage. Every single one of them had RH and it never paid back. Now I don't buy it any more. One flat repair costs about the same as one tire's worth of RH coverage. I've never had a set of 4 tires with more than 3 flats between them.

I've heard of places or brands that covered sidewall damage... if I have ever bought from them, I never got a chance to use it.

Also road hazard should not cover a repairable tire that was driven on flat, which is how many tires get destroyed. Rolling the dice is cheaper in the long run, and paying attention to the road, and tires.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
My latest set from DTD comes with free RH. Maybe it's worthwhile in places that are really hard on tires, like equatorial countries with unimproved roads or if you live by the nail factory. Otherwise I have this conversation every time I get a new set of tires:

Counter Guy: Do you want Road Hazard with that? I covers...
Me: Does it cover Sidewall damage?
Counter Guy: No, but it covers...
Me: No thanks.

I'm approaching 1 million miles of motoring, and the only tires I've had to replace early had sidewall damage. Every single one of them had RH and it never paid back. Now I don't buy it any more. One flat repair costs about the same as one tire's worth of RH coverage. I've never had a set of 4 tires with more than 3 flats between them.

I've heard of places or brands that covered sidewall damage... if I have ever bought from them, I never got a chance to use it.
Should have gone to Discount Tire

Originally Posted By: BamaDiver
Now that got me thinking.......is RH worth the extra $$?

Statistically, it's not. If, on average, customers received more benefit than the cost of the service, the service would either not be offered or it'd cost more.

I get road hazard when I buy tires from Sam's or similar because it's part of the package and you can't buy tires without that coverage. If I buy tires where road hazard is not included in the basic price, I do not pay extra for it.

Looking at the responses, seems as though it depends on ones experience with frequency of tire punctures.

In my experience with tire purchases at Discount Tire which include free puncture repair and proration of replacement tire(s), not worth it for me to purchase the 'Certs' or certificates of full replacement (new tire). And sometimes within a certain time limit DT will replace a newer tire with a puncture in an unrepairable area for the price of the certs, which is generally less than the cost of a new tire.

Having gone the proration of tire cost route before with DT on a tire with a puncture in an unrepairable area, it was very reasonable. And that was on an OE new vehicle BFG matching tire.

So generally speaking ime with DT, not worth it.

I got tires at a local club store that offers it as part of the installation package. For the wife's car and the conditions it will see, it makes sense to purchase tires locally from places that can do road hazard warranties quickly.

I was thinking same thing. I'm not bad on tires (knocks on wood) but the last time or two i bought tires i did not get rhw.

BD

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looking at the responses, seems as though it depends on ones experience with frequency of tire punctures.

Absolutely. I used to get it, but would run a lot on a few bad highways and get some serious tire damage. I ended up claiming twice without problems on one car in under about three years. Both times, the sets were fairly new. So, it was well worth it. Since then, I haven't had it, and that's worked out well, too.

My biggest issue with road hazard warranties is that they normally have a time limit and IMO, should last the life of the tire, instead of only something like 3 years.

It depends.

Do you wear your tire out fast? Drive in area with lots of construction sites? How long do you plan to keep your current ride? and most importantly how much do they charge?

For expensive long lasting tires on car that drives near construction sites a lot I'll definitely get it. For cheap Chinese tires on a car that I only drive once in a while and plan to get rid of soon, probably not.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Do you wear your tire out fast? Drive in area with lots of construction sites?

Those issues are what made the road hazard warranty worth it for me years ago. I didn't have time for the warranty to expire on time, and boy, were there hazards out there!

It was worth it for me this year, I bought 4 set of Continental ExtremeConcact DW summer tires a few months back, after a week of install, I hit a pothole and the left tire developed a sidewall bubble, I though I was out of luck, I contacted DTD by chat and they were quick to offer me the road hazard package even after I bought the tires already. I paid the road hazard protection and they sent me 2 new front tires. I could not believe they sent me 2 tires for replacement. I now have an extra tire brand new sitting in my garage. BTW, just to note that continental tires tend to have softer sidewalls than other tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back