RLI Biosyn 5w-30, 08 Acadia 3.6, 4107 on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
NO, he's saying stick with the same oil/filter combo to get a baseline.

But which oil do you suggest he start as baseline, or does it not matter? It seems a shame not to be closer to a decision on oil after the OPs many UOAs (i.e lots of money and no closer to the 'truth')

Last edited:
on the UOAs I did, I didn't look for the "best" oil. I was looking more for coolant, fuel, and dirt contamination. That is, as long as the wear wasn't triple digits

Originally Posted By: zoomzoom
wow you changed to many variables here, diff oils and filters

looks like engine is broken in and wear settled down...

Try to stick with one oil/filter combo for a bit and see what happens.

I think GC might work well here as well.

nope, there is an engine design flaw that's killing the oil and filter. You'll notice that the EaO47 filter is no longer offered by Amsoil.

Last edited:
maybe not a flaw in as much a challenge for the oil to contend with. You might do some searches on GM VVT and see what comes up.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4

nope, there is an engine design flaw that's killing the oil and filter.

A bit OT but is there any reason to suspect that the DI version of this engine (a MY one year more recent ie 2009) will show any differently?

Last edited:
Quote:
But which oil do you suggest he start as baseline, or does it not matter? It seems a shame not to be closer to a decision on oil after the OPs many UOAs (i.e lots of money and no closer to the 'truth')

The RLI and then look for trending over the next two OCI's. Keep the same OCI, oil weight, etc so you reduce the number of variables.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

The RLI and then look for trending over the next two OCI's. Keep the same OCI, oil weight, etc so you reduce the number of variables.

That is the plan right now, all except the filter, Terry wants me to try a Mann. I did drain out 3 qts and replaced it with the same 5w-30 Biosyn and left the AC filter on. Going to run that out another 4k and see where we stand from there.

As stated before it is interesting that there isn't any other 3.6l VVT engine samples on here. I know of one individual that posts on the Acadia forum, that he runs 10k miles on Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 filters. It would be really interesting to see what a sample of his oil would look like.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: RI_RS4

nope, there is an engine design flaw that's killing the oil and filter.

A bit OT but is there any reason to suspect that the DI version of this engine (a MY one year more recent ie 2009) will show any differently?

The only difference I can see with the DI motor would be more fuel dilute. It is my understanding that DI engines all have that in common. The rest should be the same.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
nice downward trend on the lead wear, it really spiked at 58ppm. Was that when you were having filter problems?

Not really sure if we had filter problems but that was when I pulled the EaO47 off and went with a K&N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back