RLI Biosyn 0w20, 5106 Mi on oil, 2004 Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The viscosity dropped somewhat. Perhaps this is normal?

From UOA:
Visc40 38.5
Visc100 7.8

From RLI Spec for 0W-20:
Visc40 44
Visc100 8.8

There's 0.7% fuel dilution. By itself, this will drop the viscosity a bit. But, it's still well within mid-grade for a 20W at 100C.

While it is definately an improvement I can not see where the previous UOA was that bad. Sure fuel dilloutin was up a bit but did you ever try RTS to see how that did or M1 0W40??? I only ask becuase RLI is some expensive stuff. the only real significant difference in my mind is the level of fuel dillution.

Quote:

While it is definately an improvement I can not see where the previous UOA was that bad. Sure fuel dilloutin was up a bit but did you ever try RTS to see how that did or M1 0W40??? I only ask becuase RLI is some expensive stuff. the only real significant difference in my mind is the level of fuel dillution.

I'am I reading the tests wrong or were the blakstone fuel dilution numbers with M1 bruce

Bruce, Blackstone uses a open cup measurement for flashpoint, whereas Dyson's contract lab uses closed cup. Blackstone has shown consistently to miss fuel dilution. They compute dilution from flashpoint and seem to get flash wrong. The Dyson numbers for flashpoint and fuel dilution can be cross checked. Dilution is measured with FTIR, whereas flashpoint is measured with closed cup testing. The correlation between the two is extraordinarily good. The only valid comparison you can make for this UOA is against the last UOA done at Dyson Analysis, which is posted somewhere in in this thread.

Many thanks MolaKule
cheers.gif

Quote:

Bruce, Blackstone uses a open cup measurement for flashpoint, whereas Dyson's contract lab uses closed cup. Blackstone has shown consistently to miss fuel dilution. They compute dilution from flashpoint and seem to get flash wrong. The Dyson numbers for flashpoint and fuel dilution can be cross checked. Dilution is measured with FTIR, whereas flashpoint is measured with closed cup testing. The correlation between the two is extraordinarily good. The only valid comparison you can make for this UOA is against the last UOA done at Dyson Analysis, which is posted somewhere in in this thread.

Agree flash pt closed or open IMHO is not worth the test unless a baseline of the Virgin oil is done even then FTIR is much more accurate.
bruce

Here's a plot I did of Dyson Analysis Fuel Dilution vs. Flashpoint. I was surprised at how linear the relationship was over multiple samples and oil types. Fuel is measured using FTIR.

fuel%20vs%20flashpoint.jpg

Thanks for all the comments everyone. In some ways this analysis doesn't look all that great whenit is compared to earlier Blackstone analyses. TD's lab tends to report somewhat higher numbers so the results from different labs are not directly comparable. I am hoping to be able to extend my drain intervals if the fuel dilution stays under control. From what I understand the fuel dilution is not a good thing and the problem is missed by many labs that base fuel dilution on flashpoint, the problem is much more widespread in newer cars than most people realize.

Dennis

Is it possible to make a comparison between the Biosyn and the Mobil 1? To my simple way of looking at the numbers, the Mobil 1 appeared to do just as well as the Biosyn. Given that Mobil 1 noticeably cheaper, is Mobil 1 a better choice. I ask because I have been using Mobil 1 and am planning to switch to Biosyn for comparison.

Quote:

Is it possible to make a comparison between the Biosyn and the Mobil 1? To my simple way of looking at the numbers, the Mobil 1 appeared to do just as well as the Biosyn. Given that Mobil 1 noticeably cheaper, is Mobil 1 a better choice. I ask because I have been using Mobil 1 and am planning to switch to Biosyn for comparison.

There is a comparison in the thread using Dyson Analysis on M1 for a 14001 mile oil sample. If you assume linear wear rates (which is often not correct), aluminum is about the same and Iron is about 18% lower. Fuel dilution is running about 1/2 it's previous level. My best guess is that iron wear rates with BioSyn are running even lower than it might seem at first glance, since the BioSyn sample contains oil left over metal from the previous oil.

Another interesting point to note. It is my understanding the RLI is using the results of many UOA's in various engines to fine tune and improve their formulations. This oil, rather than being fossilized like most oils, is actually evolving. That bodes well for us consumers.

Quote:

It is my understanding the RLI is using the results of many UOA's in various engines to fine tune and improve their formulations. This oil, rather than being fossilized like most oils, is actually evolving. That bodes well for us consumers.

Good to know.
cheers.gif

I have often wondered whether part of Amsoil's success comes from their extensive field testing being they own Oil Analyzers Inc. Lot of oil analysis from many different types of engines.

If I'm not mistaken, these prius engines are not running for 100% of the miles in an oci. If you assume in city driving that they're running 65%, wouldn't you need to gross-up the ppm's to give you a real picture of the 5k miles OCI numbers? After all, a good percentage of the time, the electric motor is propelling the car with the gas engine turned off.

To put it another way, it is not strictly correct to compare a prius' wear metals against an engine that is propelling the car through every mile on the odometer.

How do prius owners account for this when interpreting their ppm's of wear metals? Alternatively, do prius owners increase their OCI's to account for this?

It's tough to compare one engine with a different engine. Driving habits and weather are major contributers to wear numbers.

In my work so far BioSyn is a completely different game. We are going to produce some smog test results with some additional analysis. As soon as we get a good baseline with one of our test cars I'll post the numbers. UOA's are good information but many drivers have to pass a smog test, not a uoa so this will be a different look. I will include compression testing and other stuff. We are also going to do some testing with Auto-Rx and use it a bit different by controlled test.

One good method the Prius uses to reduce engine wear is to turn off the engine. It also brings up it's own problems with fuel dilution and temp regulation. The thermos is a big help but this is also a new game and will take some time to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back