RLI 5W-30, 13,235 miles, 2001 Saturn SL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: hate2work

Isn't this the oil Terry Dyson was touting on his website recently?

No reference about it now
21.gif

RLI is in the "links" section on his site.

So it is, good catch :)

RLI is not a slouch oil by any means. Saturn engines have traditionally been rough in terms of consumption. A non-OEM PCV valve has been the ruin of many a UOA on a Saturn LOL! All and all I've seen, and posted, worse for the mileage.

I don't see any problems here in the UOA, except the oil consumption. You've either got a solid leak, or serious consumption problem, either of which is preventing any real outlook of this oil.

Is this your first run with RLI? I'd expect some higher iron if so, due to the new formulation.

Also, I actually thought it was unwise to add a quart of synthetic such as Mobil One to an RLI sump.

Viscosity looks great, flashpoint is a little low for the rest of the report. TBN is wishy-washy....we just don't have enough information/UOAs on these types of oils. Maybe it just sits at 2.8 for 5000 miles, for all we know.

I see no reason for concern with this UOA. Little fuel, reasonable insolubles, low incidence of dissolved lead, no real surprises anywhere. But you've got an out of control consumption issue, unless the engine has ALWAYS been this way.

FYI, for anecdote, my 2006 Civic SI consumed 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles for the first 26,000 miles of it's life. Now it's about 1 quart every 5000-6000....and the engine is running just fine at 63k :)

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back