RIP Gary Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had not been on here in a while and got a phone call from a former member here, c3po, yesterday who told me the sad news. Gary was a great guy and actually cared about people. New guys would come on here with valid questions and he would kindly take a few minutes to help them instead of the old, "do a search, buddy!". He meant a lot to me and was great at diffusing discussions that were getting rather heated. I was really shocked to hear the news and have lost several friends his age recently. Reminds me of how short life really is. Better make the best of it...

Wow, I have not been as active on here as I once was...terrible news
frown.gif

RIP Gary and thanks for your words of wisdom over the years

Goose

Gary was a good man. Always kind and helpful, despite the pedantry of the internet that invades even here. Met him in person once and was just as impressed. My sympathies to his family. It ain't gonna be the same around here.

Sadest thread I have read in a long time.

Gary knew his BITOG stuff.

Its sad also some early forum memebers no longer post here.

Hope, they will also chime in from time to time.

They know who they are.

Makes me sad like when watching the clips of famous actors that have passed ways at the oscars, reliving the scenes from their movies as part of their honour and tribute.

Gary was a respected member of the site and his post were informative and he tried to help others. The post was pinned for over 2 weeks and that gave members enough time send condolences to the family. I am very sorry for the loss of a valued member and I hope the messages gave comfort to his family.

I am truly saddened to hear this news.
Never saw this coming, and I hate to hear this.

God bless Gary and his family.
He was a great member on this forum and he will be missed without question.

Say a little prayer for a good man, ya'll.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
"Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your Master."

cry.gif

Wonderfully put.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Gary and I tangled a lot and agreed on almost nothing but I always learned something from our conversations. His knowledge of lubricants and filters will be missed on this board.

RIP and I hope his family is well.

+1

I fondly remember those rather lively discussions that you, me, Gary, and a handful of other BITOG members had on G-MAN's old "forbidden topics" forum.

I miss those discussions, and I will miss Gary too.

I was lurking this site long before I registered. Garry is one of the few people on here I remember from day one. I've always enjoyed his posts, and the often witty exchanges between him and other members. He certainly had a way with words. I just learned about his passing the other day, and was surprisingly broken up about it. Didn't know him personally, and only interacted with him on the forum a couple times, but somehow Bitog just isn't the same without him.
Wherever Garry is now, I'm sure he's already teaching the locals a thing or two about motor oil.

RIP Garry Allen, you will be missed.

Had a correspondence with Gary about medical issues , and tried to help him with other stuff. His passing is a pain to us all, my respects to his family.

OMG! I wish I was able to get on more often!

I am very saddened by this news. Gary was an outstanding guy and I will always remember our oil and Jeep conversations. Running Bruce's 0W10 in your 4 popper Jeep was insanely awesome!

I am a better BITOG'er because of Gary Allan. RIP man!

Originally Posted By: pzev
I was lurking this site long before I registered. Garry is one of the few people on here I remember from day one. I've always enjoyed his posts, and the often witty exchanges between him and other members. He certainly had a way with words. I just learned about his passing the other day, and was surprisingly broken up about it. Didn't know him personally, and only interacted with him on the forum a couple times, but somehow Bitog just isn't the same without him.
Wherever Garry is now, I'm sure he's already teaching the locals a thing or two about motor oil.

His name is Gary Allan.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
Originally Posted By: pzev

His name is Gary Allan.

Well fortunately for me, sentiment cuts through simple typos. Wherever Gary is in this universe, I'm pretty sure he'd get the message.

Did not know him or have any interaction..but thought you might like to see this..

Friday, April 29, 2011
AMSOIL Wings of Passage
In Memoriam

GARY ALLAN
April 8, 2011
Dealer
Pottstown, PA

Information may be submitted for the AMSOIL Wings of Passage by clicking here or mail to:

Wings of Passage
AMSOIL Building
925 Tower Ave
Superior, WI 54880

I liked following Gary's posts and his vocabulary and grammar proficiency is what caught my eye in his posts. Soon after that I saw a picture of him in the post a picture thread. The first thing that came to mind was how I would never have thought a guy who is rough around the edges and a mechanics mechanic could have such proficiency in english. He is truely the "Don't judge a book by its cover" person.

I only shared one PM with him and we talked about Attleboro, MA. He was born here and I now call it home. I learned the history behind Attleboro, MA which I would never know if it wasn't for Gary. Thank you Gary for that.

His specialty was in oil filters. He could cross reference any filter you could throw at him. He was that good. Gary, thank you for helping the vast majority of people here with their oil filter questions.

Last, what do the members of BITOG think about renaming the oil filter section in memory of Gary? It could just say In memory of Gary Allan in prenthesis?

Gary, a great guy, taken away from us too soon, rest in peace brother. You will be missed dearly here.

deven,

What an outstanding idea! I would be strongly in favor of that if the Administration would allow it. It would be a fitting to Gary who gave so much to BITOG.

REDDOG

That's a fine idea. I used to throw all my strange filter questions Gary's way. Early on here, it was Gary who helped me find the oversize filters that you see in my sig and helped me understand what the different specs on oil filters meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back