Right to travel "unrestricted" upon the roadways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was to pursue a State Non Drivers I.D. card, I should be able to maintain this right meanwhile providing a photo I.D.?

Or does the "non drivers I.D." puts me into a contract that strips me of my right to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon?

Last edited:
A non driver's id simply means that you have a legal state issued id, BUT you CAN NOT operate motor vehicles on the roads of any state that you do not have a valid drivers license for.

If you are driving a car, get pulled over, and hand the officer a non-driver's id, and you do not have a valid driver's license for one of the 50 US states, you're going to jail.

BC.

Agreed, but I think the question is: must I forfeit my existing license to get a non-driver ID?

Without a "drivers license" you can't drive. You can still use public transportation or travel as a passenger in someone else's vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Agreed, but I think the question is: must I forfeit my existing license to get a non-driver ID?

I would think so, because one is "worth" less then the other.

State ID

Or

State ID + Licence = Drivers Licence

Originally Posted By: Astro14

That might vary state to state. But I doubt you'd have to forfeit your driver's license. To be sure you'll need to call your local DMV or wherever you'd go to get the state issued non-DL ID.

But why would you want both? A DL suffices for all of the same identification purposes that a state issued ID would.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Without a "drivers license" you can't drive. You can still use public transportation or travel as a passenger in someone else's vehicle.

From what I've read, citizens of the states have a right to travel, without approval or restriction, and that this right is protected under the U.S. Constitution. A drivers license will put you legally under the jurisdiction of the State. Requireing vehicle registration, mandatory insurance, etc. by "contract only".

Just trying to understand this.

Last edited:
When I was a Mass resident going to (undergrad) college in NY I pursued and got a NY state ID to go with my Mass license... so I could drink. I signed no such document claiming to not drive and I gave up no "rights".

"They" only accepted passport, military ID, and NY state IDs and DLs, so this was the out. The NY ID had my MA address right on it; residency was not a prerequisite. I could have collected all 50 if I so wanted.

A person has a right to use a road with shoe leather, a horse, and sometimes a farm tractor. Motorized vehicles are a privilege, and must yield in most jurisdictions to farmers moving cattle etc. thanks to common law going back 100s of years.

I had an Ohio driver's license and I picked up an Illinois state ID to apply for a FOID card. I got pulled over once and handed him my Ohio driver's license (not expired). He came back and said that my driver's license was voided. I assume it was the state ID that did it.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

From what I've read, citizens of the states have a right to travel, without approval or restriction, and that this right is protected under the U.S. Constitution. A drivers license will put you legally under the jurisdiction of the State. Requireing vehicle registration, mandatory insurance, etc. by "contract only".

I know this has been pushed through the courts before. Not sure what the outcome was. I watched a youtube video on it. You might try there.

Yea, but the youtube "constitutionalists" are the ones who a stink at chain control, agriculture checks at state borders, as well as DUI checkpoints and refuse to hand over their license in the first place or identify themselves because asking you to throw out your fruit before coming into CA so you don't bring fruitflies in, is an organized cabal effort to the police state and before you know it the people will be rounded up and put into work districts with a hunger games every year. Please don't be that guy that listens to youtube for basic human interactions.

Last edited:
Driving/operating a motor vehicle is a license, not a right. A state issued ID is a form of identification that allows a person to cash checks, apply for welfare, etc. WITHOUT the license to drive. In OH it's either one, or the other, NOT both.

You have the right to move freely about.

Operation of a motor vehicle is a different matter. That's subject to regulation as it's not a right.

Yes this is sovereign citizen nut job horsehocky. Get your advice elsewhere, because they offer terrible advice.

Let me guess, something along the lines of, "I am a free man, free to travel the highways from point A to point B without interruption or delay". Something along those lines, huh?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yes this is sovereign citizen nut job horsehocky. Get your advice elsewhere, because they offer terrible advice.

Let me guess, something along the lines of, "I am a free man, free to travel the highways from point A to point B without interruption or delay". Something along those lines, huh?

Yeah. When I see someone posting about contracts with the government and right to travel, circus music starts playing in my head.

There's a guy who lives close to me that watched too many YouTube videos. He went the sovereign citizen route, started filing massive tax returns claiming millions of dollars owed to him. He made fake license plates for his car and then put leins on the homes of the police officers that wrote him tickets. He's in federal prison now, doing some years for tax fraud, wire fraud, etc. The guy had a successful dental practice and family before that.

Travel is a right. Operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway is not. Abide by the laws of your state and stop watching YouTube videos.

That might vary state to state. But I doubt you'd have to forfeit your driver's license.

It does. In Colorado, you can have one or the other, but not both.

This is just some made up wordplay by conspiracy theory sovereign citizen nutcases. If you claim this, you'll find yourself in trouble, and rightfully so. Public roadways are paid for with tax dollars, and your elected representatives determine the laws that govern them.

Unlicensed operation is a crime, as is operation of an unregistered motor vehicle, and uninsured/uninspected too in some states. This keeps me safer, as there are fewer dangerous drivers, vehicles, and uninsured folks on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back