Riding a Film of Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very informative...thanks.

Worth the 11 mins IMO. Seemed like less.

Last edited:
I really love these old info/explanatory films
Thanks a bunch
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Really cool! I wonder what oil viscosity that was
grin.gif
! Thanks for posting...

It was probably 20W.

Years ago I rebuilt the 201 in my girl friend's Dad's '29 A (3.3L four cylinder). We used Valvoline 10W30. The compression ratio was about 4.25:1!

I liked the road draft tube "efficient crankcase ventilation"
smile.gif

also the mesh "filter" screen

Great video! Very well done camera, lens, and microscope work! Impressive for 1937. People these days don't even bother to make such difficult videos.

Good explanation on the oil circuits and basics of lubrication. However, they didn't go into the details of how lubrication actually works, such as the boundary lubrication and hydrodynamic lubrication. This is probably partly because this wasn't understood that well in 1937. The oil film between the block and incline is somewhat misleading because if there was load on the block, it would squeeze the film out after the load exceeds a certain amount and there would be metal-to-metal contact (boundary lubrication). When placed under load, the fast-shearing motion is what keeps the oil film in place in addition to the viscosity of the oil -- the so-called hydrodynamic-lubrication mechanism. This is the same reason why cars hydroplane -- when you drive on water, there will be tire-to-road contact (boundary lubrication) below a certain speed but when you exceed a certain speed, the tires will completely separate from the road by a water film and the car will start flying over the road (hydrodynamic lubrication), just as the shaft never touches the bearings at high RPMs in an engine because an oil film separates them thanks to the viscosity and fast shear motion, metal-to-metal contact only happening at low RPMs (low shear motion) and/or high loads.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Great video! Very well done camera, lens, and microscope work! Impressive for 1937. People these days don't even bother to make such difficult videos.

Absolutely. I was thinking the same thing when watching it. People put a lot of time and effort into that film. These days, with computer help, it's just too easy to avoid the hard stuff. That was one heck of a film!

Gohkhan, the theory of lubricationwas known for much longer than the early 30s.

WRT the block, as long as there was oil available to it, the block will (and does) tilt slightly and keep moving hydrodynamically...under load, "flat" surfaces can deform and create their own pressure distribution.

Yes, this is a purposely designed tilting pad bearing...

Patented by Michell in 1905.

I wouldn't say much longer. The Stribeck curve -- pillar of the modern lubrication theory -- was only discovered experimentally in 1902. Here n is the viscosity, v the speed, and P the load:

image1.JPG

I think it took scientists a while after the discovery of the Stribeck curve to formulate the hydrodynamic lubrication and understand the boundary lubrication, mixed lubrication, and elastohydrodynamic lubrication.

In fact, I believe a lot more understanding took place after 1964, when the science of tribology (= friction, lubrication, wear) was officially established.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I liked the road draft tube "efficient crankcase ventilation"
smile.gif

My thought exactly!

I couldn't help but think about the development in technology available between the short period of 1900 to 1945 or so. Just think about the development of automotive and aviation tech in that time frame. The basic framework of which is still in use today.

No I don't think so. Now we are supposed to feel guilty that we have so much and other countries have so little. Imagine it was once a thing of personal pride. I sometimes wonder if we would have left the native indians keep this country, if we would look a lot like Africa. I heard a talk show host once say, we use over 25 percent of the worlds oil, because we can. Makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back