ridiculous consumption of GDI engine oil 110k miles

Yeah one of the five things I remember from high school spanish. In the real world I often have to use some spanish around here. I am fairly good at it. But never once have I needed to know where the library is.
Tengo el gato los pantalones!!

hey how are you all? I was trying to research this more and it seems to be typical for these GDI engines, it consumes about 2 quarts or more every 1000 miles, it's ridiculous (it consumes even using much more viscous oil than recommended). Ultimately I'll have to change the engine or just scrap the car haha it has 108k miles and it's silly for it to consume all that oil. I have a 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander with double the miles and the oil consumption is zero, ultimately I'm not a fan of GDI.

hey how are you all? I was trying to research this more and it seems to be typical for these GDI engines, it consumes about 2 quarts or more every 1000 miles, it's ridiculous (it consumes even using much more viscous oil than recommended). Ultimately I'll have to change the engine or just scrap the car haha it has 108k miles and it's silly for it to consume all that oil. I have a 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander with double the miles and the oil consumption is zero, ultimately I'm not a fan of GDI.

Yeah at that rate you're going to have catalytic converter failure sooner than later. I doubt there is anything you can do about it - probably have to replace engine. Here in the US Hyun/Kia has some engine recalls/warranty extensions. Not sure what years and engines qualify and if that is the same in your location though.

My sons 2014 Kia Rio (I have posted all the woes in the past on this car) is still going at almost 155K. Started burning oil around the 100K mark. Maintained every 5K OCI since new. All maintenance done IAW manual. ON time. Never missed any maintenance. Still started burning oil at 100K.

Fast forward, I have done piston soaks, etc. you name it. Dumped that cleaner stuff in oil and ran car at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes, then changed oil, etc. If anything, it got WORSE. So, my guess is it has carbon scoring on cylinder walls and all I did was clean it out, making it easier for the oil to "escape."

So, catalytic converter has thrown the check engine light multiple times now. I live in South Carolina, so no inspections done here. I dump some of that catalytic cleaner stuff in the fuel tank every 3 months or so. LIght goes out for a while.

Consumption: We check it every Saturday morning. GOes from full to add, so however much that is. Every week.......not lot of miles driven every week either.

YMMV, but I have given up trying to fix this car. Told him to drive it until it blows.

EDIT: Forgot to say, used every oil out there on this. All the way up to 10W-40. High MIleage, blah blah blah, QS, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Supertech, Havoline HM............doesn't matter......

It's not uncommon unfortunately
I look after a 2017 2.4 Theta II Optima with ~93k on it
It manages to suck down 1qt of top shelf Total 5w40 in ~400 miles 😤
I'll try piston soaking and 20w50 when hot summer weather comes, but the best outcome would be a P1326 and a new engine 🤷‍♂️
Then he could better maintain that replacement engine 🙄

Obligatory:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/kia-engine-issues-really-serious-or-overinflated.357444/

Hello how are you? I bring you a brief update. I took my little GDI car to my trusted mechanic and after checking it he concluded that the cylinder rings are full of sludge. He removed the aiming cover (that's what it's called here in my country) and the engine is full of sludge (Im the second owner of this car). The solution that the mechanic gave me was old school: fill the cylinders with some liquid to remove the sludge from the rings and clean the camshafts and the crankcase as best as possible until the dirt is as little as possible, he could even use gasoline or diesel to clean it. I will tell you about the progress of this. I'm using Google translate haha sorry.

Obligatory:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/kia-engine-issues-really-serious-or-overinflated.357444/

I thought that was kaschstans job (i don't know how to spell it)

Hello how are you? I bring you a brief update. I took my little GDI car to my trusted mechanic and after checking it he concluded that the cylinder rings are full of sludge. He removed the aiming cover (that's what it's called here in my country) and the engine is full of sludge (Im the second owner of this car). The solution that the mechanic gave me was old school: fill the cylinders with some liquid to remove the sludge from the rings and clean the camshafts and the crankcase as best as possible until the dirt is as little as possible, he could even use gasoline or diesel to clean it. I will tell you about the progress of this. I'm using Google translate haha sorry.
sound like a plan to me, it will definitely be better than it is now.

I have a thread on here about a piston soak I did on my kids Kia 2.4. It was using a quart of oil in about 500 miles. No smoke from the tailpipe either. So far the piston soak has helped a ton! She’s gone 500ish miles and used no oil. The oil would also get dark black really fast, which I assume was from the blow by in the cylinders. I hope you have as much success with your piston soak as I have so far!

The rings are probably clogged up. First, replace the pcv valve, those are a common failure item on these engines if they don't get frequent oil changes, second, do a piston soak with B12 and if you can find it in your country, I very highly recommend BG EPR, follow the directions on the can and change the oil right after.

Only if not properly maintained. No matter what the manual says or if it's synthetic the oil really should be changed every 3000 miles or 5000km on these engines. They are very hard on oil.

To me this represents what the internet is actually for. People in different countries with different languages being able to communicate and problem solve.

Para mí, esto representa para qué sirve realmente Internet. Personas de diferentes países con diferentes idiomas capaces de comunicarse y resolver problemas.

Back