Rice Prices, Buying Local

Rice is rice the same way all cars are toyotas. If thats what rice means to one, just make sure they dont mix plastic in rice (yes thats a thing).

If you are on health fit, paraboiled.
Stick to the origin country of rice depending on the dish you are attempting to make. They pair better. Added cost doesnt necessarily equate to better rice.
Finally there are grades and variety in the traditional Jasmine/Basmati rices. Most folks will probably never drill down past those two generalized types though.

I like to avoid rice grown in the South USA.
I prefer Thai and Indian rice the best, and Lundberg from California seems good.
I seem to recall rice grown in the southern states is the highest in arsenic, exceeding that grown overseas. Can't seem to recall if any conclusions had been drawn from that "scare" a number of years ago.

I'd love to take a class from you on rice selection and cooking. I am afraid of cooking rice- so I just go with the rice a roni box.....
Cooking rice itself isn't hard; most just boil them in a pot with a ratio of 1:1 water. Just fluff it once it's done. The easiest way is using any good brand rice cookers that you find at an Asian store usually do the job well. I use a 20+ year old Zojurishi rice cooker where the white is turning yellow (like old PC cases) and has a big burn on the front that looks like it's smiling. Using a proper rice cooker makes the rice taste way better than on the stove top.

You can steam rice too with a bamboo/metal steamer, that usually ends up the best tasting way but is a bit more tedious and isn't worth it IMO unless it's a special night.

The best Thai rice I remember is Golden Elephant, and it is EXPENSIVE. I found it in a Korean store but not Chinese / Taiwanese store. Want something similar and cheaper? Try Vietnamese.

I'll keep my eye out for that, I'm almost out of rice and I'm curious to see how it tastes compared to Three Horses.

Reactions: GON
Cooking rice itself isn't hard; most just boil them in a pot with a ratio of 1:1 water. Just fluff it once it's done. The easiest way is using any good brand rice cookers that you find at an Asian store usually do the job well. I use a 20+ year old Zojurishi rice cooker where the white is turning yellow (like old PC cases) and has a big burn on the front that looks like it's smiling. Using a proper rice cooker makes the rice taste way better than on the stove top.

You can steam rice too with a bamboo/metal steamer, that usually ends up the best tasting way but is a bit more tedious and isn't worth it IMO unless it's a special night.

I'll keep my eye out for that, I'm almost out of rice and I'm curious to see how it tastes compared to Three Horses.

Those Zojirushi rice cookers are the best. We bought one a little over 30 years ago and it still works. We have a second one that we’ve had for 6 years now.

Those Zojirushi rice cookers are the best. We bought one a little over 30 years ago and it still works. We have a second one that we’ve had for 6 years now.

Zojurishi and Tiger are the best! We had a Tiger one before this Zojurishi since before I was born (it's in my baby pictures LOL!) They both worked great, always cooking rice 24/7. It's showing it's age now though; it's not keeping rice as fresh for as long when on - but definitely got our money's worth out of it.

Bonus: the more flowers and cherry blossom pictures on the rice cooker, the better your rice is going to come out.

Last edited:
Using a proper rice cooker makes the rice taste way better than on the stove top.

I'll bet cooking rice in an Instant Pot will do just as well as any rice cooker. And an Instant Pot has a stainless-steel tub, whereas most rice cookers seem to be lived with Teflon or some other non stick coating I'd rather not use.

I used to have 2 IPs, a 3 qt and a 6 qt. I sold the 6 qt.
I use my IP several times a week, mostly for rice, millet, and meats.

I'll bet cooking rice in an Instant Pot will do just as well as any rice cooker. And an Instant Pot has a stainless-steel tub, whereas most rice cookers seem to be lived with Teflon or some other non stick coating I'd rather not use.

I have a Pampwred Chef large rice cooker. Love it. This is a package of soup bones. Co worker made just one (was 2 per package) in his Insta Pot. Turned out beautifully

Attachments

• CE214EA6-D86F-4EBC-A260-B9B2387A7F93.jpeg
    CE214EA6-D86F-4EBC-A260-B9B2387A7F93.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DF53E60A-BEC3-4A67-9BDC-5EF79284F29F.jpeg
    DF53E60A-BEC3-4A67-9BDC-5EF79284F29F.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 3
  • AE8AF845-A1B7-4227-8AFA-F7F46123C9D5.jpeg
    AE8AF845-A1B7-4227-8AFA-F7F46123C9D5.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 3

A good rice cooker will create a crust on the bottom of the batch of rice being cooked. Then that gets mixed in with the batch and adds flavor. That is one advantage over a steamer.

The non stock material they use on the rice cooker pots is very durable. I’m talking about Zojirushi and Tiger and Panasonic along with a few other brands. If you use the appropriate plastic or wood paddles then you will not have scratches. Don’t clean with abrasives either.

• Helpful
Yes but as a rule I think most white rice is quite bland.
Like tofu and potatoes, rice is meant to be eaten with other foods and not by itself.

Brown rice seems to have more flavor.
If it works for you, that's great. I think the better analogy I can think of for non rice eaters is: 99c store brand cheap bread vs Oroweat vs fresh loaf from a pastry baker daily. You should have no problem telling the difference between them even if you don't eat bread growing up.

Maybe you just haven't had good rice growing up so far, I don't know. One chef told me even in a large Chinese restaurant (the ones that serve dim sum in the morning and do wedding banquet in the evening) use different grade of rice in different departments.

My grandma's generation would say clay container cooked rice taste best, but I'm not sure if I will use that today when both parents work. I'd just use a rice cooker and if I really care about quality I'd just one with a "pressure lid" feature that cost $100+

My parents told me Vietnamese rice wise, 3 ladies taste the best. My wife likes the Taiwan / Japanese style rice and would complain if I get the store brand vs at least 2nd cheapest. I can't tell as she blend brown rice into white rice and ruin the taste anyways, but if it is all white rice I can tell when washing, that the cheapest brand has a lot more starch and broken pieces. I'd pay not to get the cheapest since finding that out.

My parents told me Vietnamese rice wise, 3 ladies taste the best. My wife likes the Taiwan / Japanese style rice and would complain if I get the store brand vs at least 2nd cheapest. I can't tell as she blend brown rice into white rice and ruin the taste anyways, but if it is all white rice I can tell when washing, that the cheapest brand has a lot more starch and broken pieces. I'd pay not to get the cheapest since finding that out.

On second thought, my mom and I both use 3 ladies for their sweet/sticky rice. For some reason I thought it was labeled 3 Kings. I gave my younger brother whatever I had left of it, too much work! My mom won't deviate from 3 Ladies when she's making sticky rice either. I use them for spring rolls.
Wait what?
*Execute Uncle Rogers AAYYYYAAAAAAAA*

I can tell the difference but you may not. If an IP works for you and you can't tell the difference then the more power to you, as you can have a tool that does more than just cook rice (absolutely nothing wrong with that) but I can't use an IP for rice, it usually overcooks it. It's like coffee lovers who roast/ground and french press their own coffee compared to the rest of us that are happy just buying supermarket grounds and drip-brewing it.

Last edited:
Wait what?

Yes, I like cooling my rice in cold water, then putting it right into the fridge. Then when you eat it, the RS resistant starch is the highest possible.
Plus it doesn't clump when it's cooled like this, and no oil needed. Rinsing it in cold water ensures you won't end up with sticky rice.

I can remember many times, cooking white rice and ending up having to scoop it out with a big spoon like it was oatmeal or millet porridge or something. Those days are gone. Instant Pot rice comes out perfect every time.
I'm cooking some Golden Star Jasmine rice tonight, but I will get some higher quality Jasmine white rice in the future and see if it's worth the extra cost.

I prefer white rice over brown rice. Brown rice is too sweet and seems almost addictive and I tend to eat too much of it.

I bought a 5 pound bag of Thai Jasmine brown rice at the Indian food store the other day for $9. They have a great selection of rice there.

I used to buy 5 pounds bags of Thai white Jasmine rice at Aldi for about $5 but they haven't had any of it lately.

Today I was in Walmart and they had 5 pound bags of Golden Star brand white Thai Jasmine rice for $7.

The Indian Market has white Thai Jasmine rice for $10 for a 5 pound bag.

So should I buy it from Walmart for $7 or from the Indian Mkt that's next door to it for $3 more?
The indian market sells to people who know rice, Walmart to people looking for low prices, where do YOU think you have better chances for quality. Your Call!

I can't seem to get the instant pot rice consistency correct, either too dry or too sticky. A cheap rice cooker or pot on the stove I don't have this problem - it just boils the extra water off.

Yes, I like cooling my rice in cold water, then putting it right into the fridge. Then when you eat it, the RS resistant starch is the highest possible.
Plus it doesn't clump when it's cooled like this, and no oil needed. Rinsing it in cold water ensures you won't end up with sticky rice.

I can remember many times, cooking white rice and ending up having to scoop it out with a big spoon like it was oatmeal or millet porridge or something. Those days are gone. Instant Pot rice comes out perfect every time.
I'm cooking some Golden Star Jasmine rice tonight, but I will get some higher quality Jasmine white rice in the future and see if it's worth the extra cost.

I prefer white rice over brown rice. Brown rice is too sweet and seems almost addictive and I tend to eat too much of it.
I can see why you say white rice is bland now. (or is it someone else?)

If that's what you like good for you, and you can save money buying whatever on sale.

I can't seem to get the instant pot rice consistency correct, either too dry or too sticky. A cheap rice cooker or pot on the stove I don't have this problem - it just boils the extra water off.
Typical rice cooker use temperature (when water is dried up) to regulate on off using a magnet. Instant pot doesn't as it is a pressure cooker. So you are completely relying on time alone. It is less forgiving on water amount precision.

Time doesn't matter in an Instant Pot if the right amount of water is used, and I prefer 1c rice to 2c water.
You can set it and forget it. Once it stops cooking the pressure releases naturally.

Bought two 5 pound bags of millet and a 2 lb bag of Scotch oats from Azurestandard dot com this week.
The millet is far better quality than the organic millet sold in bulk at Earth Fare for $3 a pound, plus it's less expensive.
If you buy in 50 pound bag you can get it for about $1 a pound.
Free shipping on all orders over $50. Plus, they ship refrigerated and frozen foods as well.

Azure drops ships to my city once a month and I plan to buy more food from them in the future.
You pay a very small shipping cost and get lower prices on many things.
You order online before a cutoff date, and you get it in a few days.
About 50 people were there to pick up their orders.
They email you exactly when their truck is expected to arrive in our city.
They're based in Oregon.

Earth Fare and other stores charge way too much for millet, IMHO.
EF are now owned by greedy capitalists and it's not the same store it once seemed to be.
I can remember when millet sold for 49c a pound or less in bulk.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

It sounds like you like your rice with a 0.9:1 ratio of water:rice instead of 1:1. If your rice comes out too sticky then you used to much water or a bad brand. I eat rice and water in a bowl together but rinsing rice after cooking is like somebody crashing my car.

Back