Rice Prices, Buying Local

I bought a 5 pound bag of Thai Jasmine brown rice at the Indian food store the other day for $9. They have a great selection of rice there.

I used to buy 5 pounds bags of Thai white Jasmine rice at Aldi for about $5 but they haven't had any of it lately.

Today I was in Walmart and they had 5 pound bags of Golden Star brand white Thai Jasmine rice for $7.

The Indian Market has white Thai Jasmine rice for $10 for a 5 pound bag.

So should I buy it from Walmart for $7 or from the Indian Mkt that's next door to it for $3 more?

Golden Star rice is disgusting. What brands do the Indian market have?

What makes it disgusting? I'm not a rice connoisseur but I like rice.. usually eat the vigo yellow rice with chicken or chops.
looking for a good rice for stirfry etc.

Slightly bland taste, it tastes more "commercialized" in the lack of better words. The only rice I buy is Three Horses for Jasmine, Boton for Calrose, and Three Kings for sweet/sticky rice.

Golden Star rice is disgusting. What brands do the Indian market have?

I've had Golden Star rice before and it seemed fine with me.
I don't know how white rice could be disgusting. It's a very bland food all by itself.
Or maybe if I compared it with other brands, I'd like other brands better for all I know.

The rice I got from the Indian Mkt this time is Dynasty brand.
They also have white Jasmine in the same brand.

White rice is a junk.
Bleached and completely stripped of nutrient rich fiber, bran and germ and has no nutritional value whatsoever.
I stopped eating this dead food 15 years or longer.

My healthy substitute for white rice always been faro, barley, amaranth, roasted buckwheat and quinoa. Same with highly processed rolled oats. Instead I buy oat groats. They take lot longer to cook but the difference is huge, not only in taste but also nutrition wise.

Last edited:
White rice is a junk.
Bleached and completely stripped of nutrient rich fiber, bran and germ and has no nutritional value whatsoever.

White rice isn't bleached and it certainly has lots of nutritional value to many people, FYI.

I can't stand barley or buckwheat. Amaranth tastes like wallpaper paste, and quinoa is disgusting IMHO.
I like millet, rolled oats 2-3x a week, and sprouted organic wheat bread 2-3x a week.
Not much of a fan of brown rice.

For people like me with very specific health tolerances and needs, white rice happens to be a functional food.
I've been into whole foods and health books for probably more years than you've been alive.

Last edited:
They take lot longer to cook but the difference is huge, not only in taste but also nutrition wise.

Oh, but I thought you said you stopped eating "dead" food?

Cooked = dead, FYI.

I've had Golden Star rice before and it seemed fine with me.
I don't know how white rice could be disgusting. It's a very bland food all by itself.

You'll notice the difference if you start having multiple different brands. I'm just super picky with my rice - it's the one thing that has to be perfect if nothing else at dinner is; I eat, sleep, and breathe rice.

First off, there are different grade of "Thai" rice, just like there are different grade of soy beans and coffee.

The best would probably not be something that cheap regardless of from Walmart or Aldi. I am not sure about Indian stores but if you want Thai rice I'd go somewhere Vietnamese or Chinese (or Taiwanese, Hong Kong, etc), or even Korean.

The best Thai rice I remember is Golden Elephant, and it is EXPENSIVE. I found it in a Korean store but not Chinese / Taiwanese store. Want something similar and cheaper? Try Vietnamese.

Don't listen to people telling you white rice is bland. Just like don't listen to people who tell you cheese is cheese or wine is wine.

You'll notice the difference if you start having multiple different brands. I'm just super picky with my rice - it's the one thing that has to be perfect if nothing else at dinner is; I eat, sleep, and breathe rice.
I'd love to take a class from you on rice selection and cooking. I am afraid of cooking rice- so I just go with the rice a roni box.....

I like to avoid rice grown in the South USA.
I prefer Thai and Indian rice the best, and Lundberg from California seems good.

I'd love to take a class from you on rice selection and cooking. I am afraid of cooking rice- so I just go with the rice a roni box.....

Rice is easy to cook. I prefer 1 cup rice to 2 cups of water for both white and brown rice, with a dash of salt.
Rinse it, then pressure cook it in my Instant Pot for 4 minutes for white rice (with 10 minute slow release), and 20 mins for brown rice. Perfect every time.
I like to rinse it in cold water when it's done cooking.
So easy even a caveman could do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
We buy "premium" jasmine rice from Thailand in 25 lb bags at the asian market. We buy a couple different brands, dancing elephants and I forget the other right now but as long as its "Premium" which is supposed to be the AAA grade. This was taught to us by our South Korean friends who lived here for a while. You want the newest date. I can't say it tastes different but it has a fresh jasmine smell to it, and its pretty cheap in the 25lb bag -like under 20 bucks.

Don't listen to people telling you white rice is bland. Just like don't listen to people who tell you cheese is cheese or wine is wine.

Yes but as a rule I think most white rice is quite bland.
Like tofu and potatoes, rice is meant to be eaten with other foods and not by itself.

Brown rice seems to have more flavor.

Like tofu and potatoes, rice is meant to be eaten with other foods and not by itself.

I just steamed a bunch of jasmin rice. Had some with some chicken girlfriend did in instapot with cream of mushroom soup.

Tofu I enjoy mixing in vegetable soup and chili. Yes, I’m a bit odd 👍😍🤣

Rice is usually with something else. Spam and rice are the ultimate combination.

Back