Rheem or Whirlpool Water Heater

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: tom slick
In California that installation would only meet half of code. No straps and sitting on the floor along with no drip leg on the gas line wouldn't pass.

Phoenix isn't in an earthquake zone. Everyone keeps applying local codes to this install!
Lol yeah I'm not the least bit worried. This is how water heaters have been installed for at least the 43 years my grandparents have owned the house, more than likely longer. No issues.

And what are people talking about with "code"? Do the water heater police come in to your house in California and write you tickets for not having drip legs?

The items being suggested are additional safety items. If you take pride in your work, you'd want to have your job look like a professional did it and either meet or exceed code. The fact that you haven't had an issue yet doesn't really mean anything. In theory you don't need a pressure relief value either if nothing malfunctions, but it's there as a safety feature. Same thing with the vacuum breaker, people can get sick if there's any reverse flow of water from an outside hose. If you never use an outside hose, then you might never encounter that problem, but if you sell the house and the next person does, they could get sick.

As for the water heater police, it depends, it's more of inspection item, depends if the local authorities there for other reasons like a heating system install or an electrical upgrade looks around the basement and notices that the water heater wasn't installed to local code. Usually they just tell you to get it permitted and to correct any violations. Some towns that are hard up for cash will issue fines.

Also many states now require carbon monoxide detectors in the basement. Do you have one? Again, just a life/safety issue. I think there's some statistic that says in about 1/3 of the fires, there's no smoke detectors or the batteries were taken out of the smoke detector.

Ok I'll look into putting in a drip leg.

And Phoenix homes don't have basements. Literally maybe .001% of houses here have one.

Richmond is made by rheem or ruud ,same company read where it is made I think it is Montgomery al. Most water heaters are rebranded by the manufacturer so they sell to different box stores and hardware chains.

Nick you don't need a backflow preventer ,they are for use where non potoble water is fed to non potoble device such as a boiler.

Originally Posted By: wog
Nick you don't need a backflow preventer ,they are for use where non potoble water is fed to non potoble device such as a boiler.

I think I meant to say a vacuum breaker, not backflow preventer, they're two different things. I normally see them all the time when the water heaters are in the basement. Maybe he doesn't need one.

You are correct vac breaker protects tank from a sifon on supply side.everyone gets vac relief mixed up with vac breaker.

Well, just shy of 5 years later and the Rheem started leaking. 6 year warranty though, I called Rheem and they approved it, I printed out the email and took it to Home Depot with the water heater. They weren't too thrilled but gave me store credit and I bought another water heater. Will finish up the install in the morning.

Also, had trouble draining it. Turns out there was a chunk of sediment blocking the drain. On this one I replaced the piece of junk plastic drain with a metal one with a hose bib on the end so I can drain it every 6 months or so.

Too bad your new water heater only has a one year warranty. I guess you can consider yourself lucky it didn't go out a month or two after the warranty expired.

Too bad your new water heater only has a one year warranty. I guess you can consider yourself lucky it didn't go out a month or two after the warranty expired.
It is typical the new replacement tank will have the balance of the warranty left. It really shouldn't start all over again at six years for a warranty claim.

Well, just shy of 5 years later and the Rheem started leaking. 6 year warranty though, I called Rheem and they approved it, I printed out the email and took it to Home Depot with the water heater. They weren't too thrilled but gave me store credit and I bought another water heater. Will finish up the install in the morning.

Also, had trouble draining it. Turns out there was a chunk of sediment blocking the drain. On this one I replaced the piece of junk plastic drain with a metal one with a hose bib on the end so I can drain it every 6 months or so.
If you had sediment blocking the drain, did you ever drain it 1-2 times a year to get rid of the sediment?

Also, you might want to install a grounding clamp on each copper line in/out on the tank, above the dielectric couplings. Then run a heavy copper wire and tie the two together. Dielectric couplings are not always reliable and can contribute to an early demise for a tank.

My plumbing has fittings configured for the 40 gallon Rheem , I get about 10 yrs out of one. Last change took an afternoon including picking it up. I have the main connections on unions. When you go shopping for a 40 gallon gas water heater, it is hard not to end up with a Rheem, They make them for many appliance sellers

It actually has a new 6 year warranty. They gave me store credit and I just bought a new water heater with it.

If you had sediment blocking the drain, did you ever drain it 1-2 times a year to get rid of the sediment?
I think I drained it once. Will definitely drain this one more often.

Rheem has a good reputation on the plumbing forums I visit. I imagine you got one that had a small flaw and you are fortunate about how your warranty was handled.

My Rheem 50 gal propane water heater made it 11 years before it corroded to the point where it replacement was necessary.

They sure don’t make them like they used to. My brother has a natural gas water heater that was installed in 1973. It’s still heating water and no sign of age or corrosion.

I vote for Rheem. We got a Rheem Performance Platinum and couldn't be happier. Our previous unit was a 28 year old 30 gallon gas water heater, this new one is night and day better. We have it on a very low heat setting and it always provides hot water. We rarely run out, if we did we could just bump up the thermostat a bit.

Most people are surprised that a standard 40 or 50 gallon gas water heater will provide so much hot water. If you are used to an electric water heater, you will be shocked (no pun) at the performance of a standard gas tank water heater. They are cheap, simple and you get hot water when the power is out.

Back