Rheem or Whirlpool Water Heater

Wow, you installed the water heater yourself ? Great job !

The last time I bought a water heater for my previous home about 10 years ago, I had Sears installed it on delivery day.

Take a couple more pictures. Like where the vent goes into the chimney and the gas connection. Not sure how tight you have it, may need some furnace cement. I also don't see a back flow preventer, should have that on the cold water inlet. Did you also use screws to connect all the metal exhaust pipe? Is the relief value tube about 6 inches from the ground? Interesting use of the flexible pipe, I always seem them as solid pipe and people these days just use shark bite fittings to make the connection.

The gasses are never going to exhaust correctly with the water heater installed on it's side...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Take a couple more pictures. Like where the vent goes into the chimney and the gas connection. Not sure how tight you have it, may need some furnace cement. I also don't see a back flow preventer, should have that on the cold water inlet. Did you also use screws to connect all the metal exhaust pipe? Is the relief value tube about 6 inches from the ground? Interesting use of the flexible pipe, I always seem them as solid pipe and people these days just use shark bite fittings to make the connection.
Thanks for reminding me about those screws, I need to screw the vent down onto the water heater. Those are the old vents, the vent in the ceiling isn't directly above so it does need those 90 degree bends. The relief valve tube sits all the way down to the ground and exits outside, I used the existing tube. Never heard of a back flow preventer, doubt it needs one since they haven't had a problem with the same setup after owning the house for 43 years.

i3rvw6.jpg

They're also called vacuum breakers. Most plumbers would put it in. Lots of DIY people don't and it's usually against the code. It's how you tell if something was DIY or done by a professional. Prevents water from a hose connected outside from entering the home water supply.

http://www.watts.com/pages/faq.asp?catId=65&faqId=6

http://www.slideshare.net/sherylwil/backflow-preventers

I think you're also missing a drip leg or sediment trap on your gas line.

http://www.summerville-home-inspector.com/content/what-drip-leg-or-sediment-trap

^ must be a local code, I just had one professionally installed and I don't have one. Can't say I ever remember having a backflow preventer on any water heater. I also don't have a drip leg on my gas line and don't remember ever having one on previous houses.

The previous water heater was installed by a veteran plumber, I'm sure it's fine.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
The gasses are never going to exhaust correctly with the water heater installed on it's side...
grin.gif

Bravo!

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
grin.gif

Bravo!

I don't know what you guys mean by on its side?

I know you installed it yourself but any idea on what they were quoting for labor if they installed it for you?

We just had to replace ours and went to a plumbing supply place and bought an American Standard. No cheap plastic valves,etc,everything is metal.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Your picture is tilted 90 degree counter clockwise.
Strange. I uploaded the pictures on my phone and they look straight to me.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
In California that installation would only meet half of code. No straps and sitting on the floor along with no drip leg on the gas line wouldn't pass.

Phoenix isn't in an earthquake zone. Everyone keeps applying local codes to this install!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: tom slick
In California that installation would only meet half of code. No straps and sitting on the floor along with no drip leg on the gas line wouldn't pass.

Phoenix isn't in an earthquake zone. Everyone keeps applying local codes to this install!
Lol yeah I'm not the least bit worried. This is how water heaters have been installed for at least the 43 years my grandparents have owned the house, more than likely longer. No issues.

And what are people talking about with "code"? Do the water heater police come in to your house in California and write you tickets for not having drip legs?

> And what are people talking about with "code"? Do the water heater police come in to your house in California and write you tickets for not having drip legs?

When your home suffers a damage large enough for a claim your insurance company hires an inspector, to see if things were installed to code.

No police involved - both you and the insurance company are private parties.

I'm pretty sure the drip leg is required by code everywhere. Even if it's not specifically required by code, it's still the right way to do it. We have a drip leg on both our furnace and water heater, and another one on the main supply line. The purpose of the drip leg is to catch moisture and debris before it enters the appliance where it can interfere with the operation of gas valves. This can cause the appliance to not operate properly, or even worse, it can cause a gas leak which can result in an explosion. In this case, doing it the right way only requires a couple extra dollars in materials, and only requires a couple extra minutes of your time. Why not do it the right way?

Back