Revived 1995 Geo Metro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Don't forget that the Geo Metro was also on the list of top 10 death cars..... if you drive mostly in the city you're probably fine.

Nah. Interstates & divided highways are actually the safest roads to travel..... meanwhile the city I would guess is the worst. Getting hit on your driver side at 40 miles/hour by a guy who drove-thru the red light will ruin your body.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Don't forget that the Geo Metro was also on the list of top 10 death cars..... if you drive mostly in the city you're probably fine.

Nah. Interstates & divided highways are actually the safest roads to travel..... meanwhile the city I would guess is the worst. Getting hit on your driver side at 40 miles/hour by a guy who drove-thru the red light will ruin your body.

Depends on the metric. Fatalities per mile, yes but that is deceptive as you are logging a lot of highway miles. If you go by fatalities per incident, highway jump up big time. Likewise, urban networks with speed limits of 35mph and less have a high amount of incidents and lower fatalities for in-vehicle occupants... but have a higher incident of fatalities per mile.

The dangerous places are the suburbs with higher speeds and higher traffic volumes and in places you have legacy infrastructure. Best example are rural designed roads in areas with a growing population. The roads have yet been designed for higher traffic flows, they have higher speed limits, and are designed for 1960 or older safety conditions. If you want a quick and easy way of IDing the dangerous places, it is the areas in an urban landscape ((not just talking the city boundary) where the speed pick-up when you "leave town".

Originally Posted By: blackman777

I used to travel for work. Easily 400 miles a week. A good mix of Interstate and Highway.

This what I noticed:
- More fatal wrecks on the highway
- Higher number of wrecks on surface streets

The thing that worries me about the highway is being way easier to get involved in a pile up. There's a minor wreck ahead of you, you stop, then you get plowed by someone on their cell phone.

The exit ramp I have to use to get home at night often backs up into the interstate. If it's backed up, I will take the next exit and circle back. Don't want to leave myself exposed.

With that said - there were a few intersections where I would see wrecks at least once a week. From red light runners.

At least when you are on a surface street, you can easily make a detour. If you are on the interstate and there is a wreck, be prepared to sit forever.

One morning I got stuck for 1.5 hours because someone entering the highway from an on ramp was not paying attention and cut across 3 lanes of traffic. She clipped a truck which spun out and hit a box truck. The pickup ended up on its side blocking 2 lanes of traffic and the box truck was stopped on the 3rd.

Let's see some pictures of the beast.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
This what I noticed:
- More fatal wrecks on the highway
- Higher number of wrecks on surface streets

That is exactly correct. In this city, there's maybe a fatality every year or two in a collision solely involving automobiles, and it's usually because of massively excessive speed, plus a bit of booze thrown in, or a gravel truck/cement truck running over something small. Every other fatal collision in the city involves a pedestrian, motorcycle, or bicycle.

The thing that worries me about the highway is being way easier to get involved in a pile up. There's a minor wreck ahead of you, you stop, then you get plowed by someone on their cell phone.

The exit ramp I have to use to get home at night often backs up into the interstate. If it's backed up, I will take the next exit and circle back. Don't want to leave myself exposed.

With that said - there were a few intersections where I would see wrecks at least once a week. From red light runners.

At least when you are on a surface street, you can easily make a detour. If you are on the interstate and there is a wreck, be prepared to sit forever.

One morning I got stuck for 1.5 hours because someone entering the highway from an on ramp was not paying attention and cut across 3 lanes of traffic. She clipped a truck which spun out and hit a box truck. The pickup ended up on its side blocking 2 lanes of traffic and the box truck was stopped on the 3rd.

Most of the interstates are/were not intended to handle the volume they currently experience. Furthermore, driving habits have also changed. The distances drivers allow between vehicles has decreased significantly, so much so that those who did traffic flow modeling had to change their parameters. So even highways without an increase in lanes experience as much as 40% more traffic per volume per hour that was thought possible than only a few decades ago. People use interstates for cross-town, intercity, and inter-regional travel... and not just interstate travel.

I expect distracted driving to increase as automaker continue to try and reduce the amount of attention needed to operate a vehicle. The more a car does for you, the less you pay attention.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61

Yeah, just grab a screwdriver, that shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. Jeez, it's a $325 car - run Maxlife until it dies and don't spend a nickel on it.

I agree 100%.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Originally Posted By: bigt61

Yeah, just grab a screwdriver, that shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. Jeez, it's a $325 car - run Maxlife until it dies and don't spend a nickel on it.

I agree 100%.

I think that's a perfectly valid approach, especially if the body has limited life left in it.

On the other hand, the cheeky screwdriver remark is not too far off the mark. We're talking about an engine that can be pulled by two strong men, a 2x4 and a chain. It might be worthwhile if the body and suspension has life left in it, and the owner needs a high fuel economy commuter. When gasoline hit $4/gal in the US, extreme commuters and hypermilers resurrected a lot of these little beasts.

I'd use the $300 car to deliver pizzas - not the nice one.

I was thinking the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back