Review: Gabriel Ultra ReadyMount Complete Strut Assembly on 2015 Toyota RAV4

Back to Gabriel in general, I put Ultra shocks on the back of my last family truckster, the 05 Honda Pilot. It saved me from buying fresh springs, raised the rear right to where it should have been, and I had to align the front headlights again. Ride and handling were great. I would give them a chance in any situation.

I've heard the "replace with OEM Strut Mounts" thing in different contexts, including when I helped my buddy replace his Volvo sedan front struts with Monroes, and we swapped out the tops with OEM components her bought. I can't say whether it was necessary, but it's been several years, and the combination has been doing fine.

Chinese products have improved the lives of millions of Americans. Without China a lot of products would be unaffordable.
I respectfully disagree; NAFTA, along with China being "given" most favored nation trade status. "Granting China this trade status contributed to the "China Trade Shock" that destroyed 2 million American jobs after 2001. It also led to a surge of business investment in China that made the CCP stronger and more dangerous." - Tom Cotton, U.S. Senator for Arkansas

I wanted to point out that on the Chevrolet Suburban or the Lincoln MKT the standard shocks last about 40k to 50k miles. On the MKT I have with the fleet 150k warranty which covers the shocks Ford wont replace them until it fails their bounce test or there is oil leaking out of them. The problem is the ride goes bad way before it fails the bounce test or leaks oil. Replacing Fords 2 front struts has cost me at least $500 in the past and no mechanic around here seems to enjoy replacing struts. When you say replace a strut they will try to convince you out of it. However, the quick struts were not only cheaper but took the mechanic 2 hours to turn around which is amazing.

Fords electronic shocks I have gotten them to 130,000+ miles without problems, but standard OEM shocks whether it be GM or Ford its like 40,000 miles before you feel the ride degrade.

Toyotas OEM shocks which I believe are either Denso or KYB seem to last a bit longer I think.

In any event if the quick struts dont last long then it will just be like my experience with the Suburban and MKT. I can just order up more quick struts off of RockAuto and get it taken care of quickly.

I respectfully disagree; NAFTA, along with China being "given" most favored nation trade status. "Granting China this trade status contributed to the "China Trade Shock" that destroyed 2 million American jobs after 2001. It also led to a surge of business investment in China that made the CCP stronger and more dangerous." - Tom Cotton, U.S. Senator for Arkansas

It has hurt those in the manufacturing industry. On the flip side American farmers can sell sorghum and other product to China. Whether is net pro or con would require a full analysis.

Consumers do get way cheaper products though. I don't think it is possible to manufacture a $130 retail Lexus-quality strut assembly domestically.

I wanted to point out that on the Chevrolet Suburban or the Lincoln MKT the standard shocks last about 40k to 50k miles. On the MKT I have with the fleet 150k warranty which covers the shocks Ford wont replace them until it fails their bounce test or there is oil leaking out of them. The problem is the ride goes bad way before it fails the bounce test or leaks oil. Replacing Fords 2 front struts has cost me at least $500 in the past and no mechanic around here seems to enjoy replacing struts. When you say replace a strut they will try to convince you out of it. However, the quick struts were not only cheaper but took the mechanic 2 hours to turn around which is amazing.

Fords electronic shocks I have gotten them to 130,000+ miles without problems, but standard OEM shocks whether it be GM or Ford its like 40,000 miles before you feel the ride degrade.

Toyotas OEM shocks which I believe are either Denso or KYB seem to last a bit longer I think.

In any event if the quick struts dont last long then it will just be like my experience with the Suburban and MKT. I can just order up more quick struts off of RockAuto and get it taken care of quickly.
I think quik strut assemblies have lifetime warranties. Still a pia to deal with, but not that bad.

Update! The struts are still working great on the RAV4! Better ride and better handling! I can heartily suggest this as a worthy upgrade on an older 100k+ Toyota.

I noticed Gabriel is now a supplier for AC Delco. I think Gabriel picked up its game. Better then Monroe or stock shocks.

Update! The struts are still working great on the RAV4! Better ride and better handling! I can heartily suggest this as a worthy upgrade on an older 100k+ Toyota.

I noticed Gabriel is now a supplier for AC Delco. I think Gabriel picked up its game. Better then Monroe or stock shocks.
Who would have made the RAV4's OE I wonder....KYB? I know when I saw my LS430 on the lift, the tech pointed out they were made by KYB--literally pointed out where they said KYB on them with the Toyota part# (OEs still on car).

I actually need struts front and rear on my '06 LS430, and as much as I would love to keep it all original, it is cost prohibitive. I'm talking pricing like the boots are almost $50 each discounted, that's simply a no can do. But they look intact and they are heavy rubber, not the plasticky material of aftermarket. And people say those $13 aftermarkets, you may as well use the originals and skip them, they're fine and much higher quality. So I bought KYB Excel-Gs. Still made in Japan, which I like. KYB strut mounts though, fronts China, rears India. Struts were about $100 rears, $110 fronts (way cheaper than OE), and a $50 rebate. Haven't installed them yet. Whomever makes the OE on my wife's GM SUV, not good as we bought the car new and they all failed at 60-80k. First time was warranty (extended warr covers struts, not shocks though), 2nd time no.

Last edited:
I hope your experience is different than mine. Installed these on 2006 Sentra ~25K miles ago. They are already leaking. Last month during annual inspection, the mechanic mentioned about these and asked me think over what I am going to do, Spend another $500 to replace them and keep the car or replace the car. The car has rotten really well due to the road salt and I am seriously considering replacing it.

Last edited:
I hope your experience is different than mine. Installed these on 2006 Sentra ~25 miles ago. They are already leaking? Last month during annual inspection, the mechanic mentioned about these and asked me think over what I am going to do, Spend another $500 to replace them and keep the car or replace the car. The car has rotten really well due to the road salt and I am seriously considering replacing it.
25 miles only? They would have to have been defective imho. Can they be replaced under warranty, but then again, imagine if it happened again. I did have a negative experience with Monroe all in ones as mentioned. When my car was junked a few weeks ago or maybe a month, I noticed they were severely rusted, which wouldn't be the case with OE or a quality part--that could lead to the strut towers collapsing, though not likely. I just personally don't believe that the spring in a all in one can stack up to the factory part. And kinda unbelievable given what they cost, that a muffler shop simply tosses into the garbage--it's all about not expending labor to them.

25 miles only? They would have to have been defective imho. Can they be replaced under warranty, but then again, imagine if it happened again. I did have a negative experience with Monroe all in ones as mentioned. When my car was junked a few weeks ago or maybe a month, I noticed they were severely rusted, which wouldn't be the case with OE or a quality part--that could lead to the strut towers collapsing, though not likely. I just personally don't believe that the spring in a all in one can stack up to the factory part. And kinda unbelievable given what they cost, that a muffler shop simply tosses into the garbage--it's all about not expending labor to them.
Sorry, typo, 25K miles ago. Made an edit.

Back