Reuse Mobil 1 EP filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glum
Short tripping is tough on oil. I've highlighted the "severe" conditions I regularly use this car under. Granted, Hyundai drew this up assuming the use of conventional oil, not synthetic. But I'm bound to it either way.

What's their OCI interval for non-severe conditions? ... 6,000 miles?

If you really fall in the middle between severe and non-severe conditions, then you might consider running something like Mobil Super 5000 (non-synthetic) [use to be called Mobil Clean 5000] and use the OEM filter and do 5K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: mjo
Too bad they don't have filter minders for oil filters.

I wonder if you could determine when to change the filter based on an oil pressure gauge?

Not sure if oil viscosity would change greatly at different ambient temperatures after the oil temp has reached steady state. How much is too much of a pressure drop?

It would have to be some kind of accurate delta pressure gauge across the filter. User would have to note baseline delta-P when the filter was new, and change it when the delta-P increased to some value under the same baseline conditions. Lots of trouble for a $5~$10 filter. Just change oil & filter at decent intervals.

It's stupid... The owner's manual (which I screen capped for the above image link) says 3K/3mo. But at least one other document--a "maintenance schedule" they have--says 3.75K/3mo. The regular interval is 7.5K.

I have to stick to their "severe" because I short-trip this poor car badly. I'm picky (read: neurotic) about using synthetic and about using top-tier filters. I'm pretty sure that if I put conventional in, I'd go into convulsions.

I'm pretty sure that if I put conventional in, I'd go into convulsions.

lol.gif

I guess since my opinion has been overruled by several BITOG'ers, my next question to Glum is:

With 3000 OCI's.....what is the point in using a synthetic....when a conventional 5w20 or 5w30 would work just as well? I don't think Hyundai suggests using 'only' synthetic ?

IMO....using a synthetic on 3000 OCI's....is a waste of good oil and $$$. Using PYB or VWB or any quality conventional would suffice....and work just as well.
One of the main reasons for using synthetics....is to extend OCI's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work

C'mon, there is no way that this $11 filter will not work perfectly fine for back to back 3k OCIs in this newer car. What happened to common sense?

It would be completely wasteful to change this filter at 3k, IMO.

+1....Agree...common sense has completely disappeared.

Common sense?

Then leave the filter on for 2-OCI's.

Once a filter is removed, its garbage.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
With 3000 OCI's.....what is the point in using a synthetic....when a conventional 5w20 or 5w30 would work just as well? I don't think Hyundai suggests using 'only' synthetic ?

IMO....using a synthetic on 3000 OCI's....is a waste of good oil and $$$. Using PYB or VWB or any quality conventional would suffice....and work just as well.

Yes, but longer OCIs is just one of several reasons to use synthetics. You know the others--better cold protection, especially at startup, better heat protection, wear protection...

At one point I asked how far I could push SynPower given the driving conditions, but I didn't get replies. My assumption is 5K/5mo but even after the warranty is gone, I'll probably stick to 4K/4mo.

Yes, but longer OCIs is just one of several reasons to use synthetics. You know the others--better cold protection, especially at startup, better heat protection, wear protection...

At one point I asked how far I could push SynPower given the driving conditions, but I didn't get replies. My assumption is 5K/5mo but even after the warranty is gone, I'll probably stick to 4K/4mo.

Better cold protection & startup? You live in North Carolina.

Better heat protection/wear protection? Your a short-tripper. Your vehicle shouldn't get hot often.

If you insist, and are comfortable with 3000 OCI's...a good quality conventional should easily do the trick.

If you insist, and use a synthetic...I can't see why a 5000 mile OCI would not work...even in severe driving conditions.

^I agree, aside from potential mechanical issues that could compromise extending intervals. 5K, or 5 months is fine on a full synthetic, in severe service.

Dumb question-how would the dealer know you run under severe conditions? Why couldn't you just run a quality synthetic and filter for the 5K that the normal schedule calls for? That way you're covered in case of warranty concerns & not having to reuse oil filters.

"Cold" doesn't just mean -50F. You know oil flows much differently at operating temp than it does even at 70F. And it does sometimes get into the single digits or teens (F), even in NC winters.

Better heat protection/wear protection? Your a short-tripper. Your vehicle shouldn't get hot often.

I am a short tripper but not exclusively. Also, it could overheat. If that were to happen, I'd rather have syn in there than conv.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Dumb question-how would the dealer know you run under severe conditions? Why couldn't you just run a quality synthetic and filter for the 5K that the normal schedule calls for? That way you're covered in case of warranty concerns & not having to reuse oil filters.

Not a dumb question at all. It's actually a very good point. Thank you.

"Cold" doesn't just mean -50F. You know oil flows much differently at operating temp than it does even at 70F. And it does sometimes get into the single digits or teens (F), even in NC winters.

I am a short tripper but not exclusively. Also, it could overheat. If that were to happen, I'd rather have syn in there than conv.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Not a dumb question at all. It's actually a very good point. Thank you.

How cold does it get in NC?.....A 5w conventional will work just about the same a Syn....in your weather conditions. How often does it go below 20 degrees in NC???

and a 5w conventional will work just as well as SYN....for the few times you go on longer trips....and your engine get warm.....with 3000 OCI's.

But...a 5w Syn...with a 5000 OCI....and a decent filter ( suggest a Puro Classic)....should meet all expectations as well as your warranty obligations.

Last edited:
Sorry, it wasn't obvious to me that short tripping increased the rate of particulate matter production. I guess my user ID should be "Dummy"!

Not really. Short trip does other things to the oil with moisture and lack of fuel dilution purging.

You go through the same fuel enrichment (and every other transition) in a longer driver, but what you don't get (all exceptions/exclusions/qualifications taken into consideration) is mostly hollow miles in between events.

Severe service covers both the taxi/police and granny Sunday drives to church. One has a poor measuring stick with an odometer, the other is a time component where "side effects" require the sump and filter to be changed.

So, ANY filter is good for plenty of mileage ..assuming the mileage is composed of a high bias towards (mostly) "hollow miles"

I had an M1-104 Mobil 1 oil filter on my dad's car for 1.5 years and did 5 OCI's (drain/refill 3 quarts) on a 4 quart sump. He only drives 3500 miles per year.

You can reuse an oil filter without any problems.

I know it's been awhile, but...

Common sense? Yeah, sure, imply that I'm an idiot because I wonder about these things. The oil filter holds dirty oil. On former vehicles I've had, the oil filter held up to a quart of oil. I'd never want that much dirty oil left in the system after an OC.

So, "common sense" fails me...

What's the cutoff for this? How much dirty oil is OK to leave in the system? 1 quart? 3/4 quart? 1/4 quart? Can the people with common sense provide a number?

That was rhetorical. I'm not really asking. My point is it's not common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back