Retired from the USN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Sir.
At our change of command today in VA and turned over my duties as CMC.
And flying United home Sunday
smile.gif

Thank you for your service!

Astro, what jet do you fly for United, I haven't kept up with which airline is buying the most Boeings but is the 787 Dreamliner in service yet? I recall it was having some teething issues.

I have flown one of the longer routes on United B789 - LAX to MEL ... nice ride - a few of the old tennis pros now coaching were around me ...

Well done Astro! Thank you for your service. The days I spent in the Navy, primarily stationed in Norfolk, were the best years of my life. Listening to Reger/Jimmy and the bull on FM 99 WNOR, Driving by Mt. Trashmore, and going to Military Circle mall on Military Highway, and many, many other things was always a good time. Had the opportunity to be in Norfolk and Va. Beach a couple times back in 2009 and it was unreal how much it had changed since i got out.

Last edited:
Congrats and thanks for your service ...
United is great these days - hope to fly them more and get my Global Services rank back again ...

"Long may your big jib draw" ... (Newfoundland sailor)

Thanks for your service! Good luck in your "retirement"! My son will be leaving soon for deployment #5, it looks like he will be making a career out of the Navy as well.

Thanks for your service Astro! You certainly got to participate in the Hey-Day of the USN flying the F-14 Tomcat. They don't make them like that anymore.

Thank you all very much for the kind wishes. Bittersweet indeed.

The party was great. We were surrounded by the squadron memorabilia, with familiar names, including many who are no longer with us. There were lot more folks than I expected and, of course, it was over much too soon.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Astro, what jet do you fly for United, I haven't kept up with which airline is buying the most Boeings but is the 787 Dreamliner in service yet? I recall it was having some teething issues.

I fly the 757/767. We have several models.

757-200 with PW 2037
757-200 with RB211
757-300 with RB211
767-300 with PW 4060
767-400 with GE CF6*

We have 25 787 airplanes. We were the first US airline to get them. I hope to fly it some day. They're beautiful machines and incredibly capable but not as reliable as we would have liked. We swapped some near term 787 deliveries for immediate 777-300 deliveries which are already showing up in service.

*completely different PFD/ND display, much like the 777. All the rest are round dial and EFIS/MAP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Thank you for your service! must have been quite some ride(ahem flight, ahem maritime navigation)

Now, since you've seen it all ,
are you:
-going to look at the sky more?
-take your wife some place nice/quiet?
-open up one of the cars and make it new again?
-stay with us more on BITOG?
-drink more wine?
-teach more flight-ers?
-learn new skill?
-visit sleddriver and volvobrick to talk about volvo's and construct wood furniture?

Those are all excellent suggestions and closer to the truth than you might have guessed. My wife and spent 10 days in London together just last month. And I bought the Tundra to be able to move the '32 Packard closer so that it can get the attention that it deserves...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
Thank you for your service Sir! Whilst I may be North of your border, I grew up alongside NAVFAC Argentia & my family made some life-long friends w/ members of the USN. There was some wide-eyed conversations that I recall experiencing in the presence of an old Naval Aviator. Used to fly the S2 Tracker. Was in the Cuban blockade, off Viet Nam, etc. There but for the Lord & NATO go all of us & people like Cpt. Tom Orr, USN (Rt'd), my cousin Cpt. Craig Blandford, RCAF (Rt'd, flew NATO AWACS last going off) & you Astro, took to the skies (& seas!) to stand guard for me. You didn't know me but you risked it all. For me. A young Newfoundland kid that learned to love the USN as a true Force for good in our world. Some may chide me for my youthful naivete on the subject but I truly disagree. You left your home & family to serve.

As I say to all those who have served & start to take their pension, "Long may you draw from the Pension Fund brother!"

John.

Thank you!

That is quite a memory. I doubt what I did will inspire anyone, but I think the key point of military service is the willingness to sign up and be sent wherever your country needs you to go. What you did, where you went, is less important to me than that first act: signing up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Congrats Sir.
At our change of command today in VA and turned over my duties as CMC.
And flying United home Sunday
smile.gif

Thank you for your service!

Awesome!

We may have met in that other life and never known...

I was genuinely honored that my former SEL/CMCs made a couple of long treks to be there for me. That meant the world to me.

As you look back, you wonder if you made a difference, if you were a good leader. Honestly, just having those guys and gals there helped put me a bit more at ease about that question...

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I joined the Navy on 18 July, 1986.

fjYBbcJ.png

That movie prompted me to try to become a Fighter Pilot. The Recruiter told me I was too tall.

Congrats on your 30 years, and Thank You for your service.

Thank you!

That movie came out two months after I had been accepted for an AOCS slot. I was still a college senior. None of my friends had any idea what I was in for, as we were all in a small, liberal college.

But then I dragged them all to that movie,..

You will miss it.

I had a "normal" job for a year before I decided I missed Submarines. I know you still fly, but I missed Submarines so much I got a job maintaining/fixing them. I am now a SME for Mast and Antennas and various other systems on Tridents. Wouldn't want to do anything else.

Happy for you Astro. Glad you got to finish with a smile.

And

This RM1(SS) Salutes you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back