Restaurant chains you wish would come back

Hi all,

A while back I came across an article about a couple of restaurant chains that I hadn't been to in years. Baja Fresh, which used to have the best homemade salsas, and their steak was grilled to order for their burritos. Boston Market used to have a dozen or more Colorado locations on the front range as I loved their meatloaf sandwiches. Now I think there might be two left in the whole state. I never managed to eat at Taco Cabana but remember the goofy commercials on tv. By the time I got a car and could drive they closed their remaining restaurants. With the holidays coming up what are some nostalgic places you remember eating?

Mel's Drive In. Terry the Toad was my doppelgänger.

images

Sambo's ( good luck on that one)
Co Co's

Coco's barely exists now outside of Southern California and a couple of locations in Arizona.

The original Sambo's location in Santa Barbara is still operating. Strike that - the name was changed.

But still a lot of this is more about nostalgia than anything else. Often if something is brought back it's never going to be the same for any number of reasons. I really wish McDonald's would bring back the deep fried cherry pie. But even when they tried it wasn't deep fried and kind of sucked.

86cutlass307, I'm not sure when the last time was you had a Godfather's Pizza, but I can tell you it is nowhere as good as it was in the 1980s. Just as an FYI, I was raised in Omaha and ate a great deal of Godfather's pizza between 1975 - 1990. On a recent trip to Omaha, my wife and I stopped and ate at a Godfather's and were very disappointed with what they are selling as pizza today.

Now, I would like to see Shoney's expand again outside of the Southeastern US.

Dickey’s BBQ. Still in some places just they closed the closest ones to me of course. Kind of miss Steak N Shake too but not really there food was nothing amazing or anything it was just good after the nights we would go to the baseball games or watch air planes late at night.

Let’s see also Cheeburger Cheeburger they had amazing burgers. Steak and Ale and Checkers too. Probably some others I can’t think of right now. Edit to add: Fuddruckers loved that place. And Ponderosa Steak House and Western Sizzlin and Hooter’s.

Last edited:
Dickey’s BBQ. Still in some places just they closed the closest ones to me of course. Kind of miss Steak N Shake too but not really there food was nothing amazing or anything it was just good after the nights we would go to the baseball games or watch air planes late at night.

Let’s see also Cheeburger Cheeburger they had amazing burgers. Steak and Ale and Checkers too. Probably some others I can’t think of right now.
Dickies nearest me is awfull. Downright disappointing! They have no gas so they have a very limited menu. I don't know how it stays open as I never see any customers in there.

I don't know if bringing it back would bring back what I missed, but I certainly missed what Elephant Bar used to be. Now down to a single location when I believe there used to be around 100.

Back