Restaurant chains you wish would come back

My problem with the chains we all know and love, is that they get bought out, the recipes and formulas change and get cheapened out, and become nasty. The name remains but the recipes are nowhere near what they used to be.

Fuddruckers
We have a few in our area, slowly fading away. They are pricing themselves out of business. I ate at one in Chambersburg Pa a few years ago, a burger with fries, Cole slaw and a beverage was almost $20. For the money Red Robin is much better, hard to get a reasonably priced decent cooked-to-order burger in our area. 5 Guys is waaaaay overpriced and won't cook other than well done, their fries are kinda soggy as well. Wish some of the West Coast chains would come East.
When I lived in Connecticut years ago, there was an Augie & Ray's Drive-in in East Hartford near The Pratt & Whitney Aircraft plant that had the best foot-long hot dogs and burgers anywhere, I hear they are still in business. Yup, just checked, still there.....opened in 1946. When I was in high school, Augie's, Friendly's and The Farm Shop where the cruise-in places to show off your car.....I graduated in 1966, sigh....

Last edited:
Boston Market used to have a dozen or more Colorado locations on the front range as I loved their meatloaf sandwiches. Now I think there might be two left in the whole state.
Well they're not completely gone yet. They keep closing stores. They don't even have a store in Boston anymore.

Burger Chef, Friendlys, White Castle, Bakers Square and Hardees. Some are still around elsewhere but none near me.

Most of them went out for the reason of price and quality, and they probably won't come back unless someone starts a new restaurant and just buy a name to get instant recognition. I don't mind them not coming back.

The only one I wish to have, was closed due to pandemic. Specialty Cafe and Bakery. They have some of the best catering sandwich and cookies you can get and I will always go to a lunch meeting if they are the cater, no matter how bad the meeting is. Technically they are not "closed" (opened 1 location back) and technically they are not a chain (husband and wife owned).

I don't really care which but, I wish some of the chain steakhouses (Bonanza, Ponderosa, Quincey's, Golden Corral, Ryan's, etc) would put steak back on the menu instead of just having a buffet. The only decent steakhouse with reasonable prices in this area now is Logan's Roadhouse and I have to drive about 60 miles round trip to find a decent steak. There used to be 2 Logan's Roadhouse within 40 miles of home but one of them closed a couple years ago. Ponderosa and Quincey's were both pretty good back in the days when they were around this area 30-35 years ago.

Back