Restaurant chains you wish would come back

Most of them went out for the reason of price and quality, and they probably won't come back unless someone starts a new restaurant and just buy a name to get instant recognition. I don't mind them not coming back.

The only one I wish to have, was closed due to pandemic. Specialty Cafe and Bakery. They have some of the best catering sandwich and cookies you can get and I will always go to a lunch meeting if they are the cater, no matter how bad the meeting is. Technically they are not "closed" (opened 1 location back) and technically they are not a chain (husband and wife owned).

I knew someone who previously worked in the corporate office at Specialty's. However, I also remember what it was like when it was pretty new. What it turned into in the late 90s was way different than it was in the early 90s. Back then a sandwich order was mostly thick, sliced bread and not sandwich rolls. Their prices were ridiculously cheap - I mean really cheap for a guy working a part-time and summer job in my college years. I think a rather large chicken salad sandwich (my favorite) on 7-grain wheat was a little over $3. They also sold full loaves of all their breads.

Before they closed I had a business meeting in Mountain View that was catered by the location that I think reopened. I basically got an $18 credit sent by email and was allowed to order (online) whatever I wanted as long as it was under the limit. I couldn't order over the limit and pay the difference though.

Another place I'm kind of bummed about losing is Gordon Biersch, but that's mainly because of the garlic fries. The founder reopened his original location as Dan Gordon's in Palo Alto, and that's gone too. However, I went there before they finally closed and the garlic fries were exactly what I remember from Gordon Biersch.

I knew someone who previously worked in the corporate office at Specialty's. However, I also remember what it was like when it was pretty new. What it turned into in the late 90s was way different than it was in the early 90s. Back then a sandwich order was mostly thick, sliced bread and not sandwich rolls. Their prices were ridiculously cheap - I mean really cheap for a guy working a part-time and summer job in my college years. I think a rather large chicken salad sandwich (my favorite) on 7-grain wheat was a little over $3. They also sold full loaves of all their breads.
Back in the mid 90s I remember I can eat a meal in a restaurant in Clement, lunch special Chinese food, with tea and soup for about $4.50 before tax and tips, and I remember people were making about 35k a year and houses were about 250k-300k to start. How has the world changed.

Back in the mid 90s I remember I can eat a meal in a restaurant in Clement, lunch special Chinese food, with tea and soup for about $4.50 before tax and tips, and I remember people were making about 35k a year and houses were about 250k-300k to start. How has the world changed.

I worked in downtown San Francisco during my college years. There were actually quite a few places around downtown that had Chinese food. My go to was dry style beef chow fun - typically less than $4 and available at a few places. One at Embarcadero Center and had huge lines and a large room. Another was B&M Mei Sing on 2nd although they closed maybe 5 years ago.

B_M.jpg

But working in downtown as a part timer was a lesson on how to eat cheaply. One place was Pepito's although I remember a few who refused to eat there because it didn't seem all that clean.

And one of the really good places on a budget was Chevy's at 2 Embarcadero on the second floor. They had this little room separate from their main dining room that only did take out, and rather quickly too. Most of what they had was already on steam trays like a typical Mexican-style takeout place, but the tacos were basically what they had in the dining room other than they were just making them rapid fire, although one could make special requests. But it was less than $5 for something like two tacos or a burrito with a lot of sides. Maybe 75 cents for chips on the side. But Chevy's as a whole has suffered. They used to have locations everywhere in the Bay Area and even around the country, but now there are a few locations that are still doing well. The location in Emeryville has a great view.

If you’re under 30 you more than likely won’t remember these. Mostly in the Southeast, Po Folks, Honey’s, Toddle House, Burger Chef…

My mom opened the first Quizno's Subs on Long Island. It was GREAT for the first year or so. When management saw what a gold mine LI was, they got stupid and put up so many restaurants that you could throw a rock from one and hit another. All the owners complained that they weren't making any money so corporate's answer was to buy cheaper food. The quality tanked and soon after, they all closed. Too bad. They were actually really good for a short time.
Their commercials were hilarious.

My mom opened the first Quizno's Subs on Long Island. It was GREAT for the first year or so. When management saw what a gold mine LI was, they got stupid and put up so many restaurants that you could throw a rock from one and hit another. All the owners complained that they weren't making any money so corporate's answer was to buy cheaper food. The quality tanked and soon after, they all closed. Too bad. They were actually really good for a short time.
It's like it should be restaurant 101. Don't cheapen the food quality. Once people leave, they don't come back. I've had a few that happened with local mom and pop places, the place changes hands and either food quality gets worse or the prices go up too much and then you don't go back. Actually easier to take higher prices than lower quality food, at least for me.

I think Subway is doing the same thing, opened too many stores now a bunch are closing.

they have a pepper bar!

Kenny Roger's Roasters (its the wood that makes it good!) Also missing Long John Silvers. It may still be around someplace, not around here. The same goes for Arthur Treacher's.

Does Arby’s count? I haven’t seen one in a long time.
I had to check their website..... There's still a few around me. It almost looks like someone laid them out on a grid, no two locations closer to each other than x-number of miles. But none of the ones I can remember from the old days are around any more. Same with Burger King.... There are lots of former-Burger Kings around, but an open one is rare.

Does Arby’s count? I haven’t seen one in a long time.
Arby's has 3472 locations so it's not like they're a small chain. They're not really around my area though. There's lots of local mom and pop roast beef places here that all claim to be famous and they're always better than the roast beef you get at Arby's. Those places basically slice the roast beef on site. When you can get fresh blood red roast beef, why would you want brown roast beef that looks like it's a week old?

Last edited:
The Ground Round...Village Inn Pizza...Boston Market...Dog and Suds...

Hi all,

A while back I came across an article about a couple of restaurant chains that I hadn't been to in years. Baja Fresh, which used to have the best homemade salsas, and their steak was grilled to order for their burritos. Boston Market used to have a dozen or more Colorado locations on the front range as I loved their meatloaf sandwiches. Now I think there might be two left in the whole state. I never managed to eat at Taco Cabana but remember the goofy commercials on tv. By the time I got a car and could drive they closed their remaining restaurants. With the holidays coming up what are some nostalgic places you remember eating?
Long John Silver's, none left around here. To me they were a little better than Cap'n D's for fast seafood.

I had to check their website..... There's still a few around me. It almost looks like someone laid them out on a grid, no two locations closer to each other than x-number of miles. But none of the ones I can remember from the old days are around any more. Same with Burger King.... There are lots of former-Burger Kings around, but an open one is rare.

There used to be more around here, but it looks like several around my area have permanently closed recently. But now there are only 4 in the 9 county San Francisco Bay Area.

As for Burger King, there's no shortage of those around my area. The one that I remember opening in the 70s is still there. I do remember locations that closed, but we've got a new one (less than a year old) that's a combination Valero/Circle K/BK.

Back