Report of new Colorado Diesel mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even its low 181 hp isn't that bad knowing you get power right away at low RPMs anyway. The 2.5L gasoline 4 has 200 hp, but you have to hold it screamining at 6,200 RPM to benefit from it.
Still, almost $4k extra for the diesel. A forever payback period for MPG.

With the current pace of development of gasoline engines like the Mazda offerings the gap between gasoline and diesel for autos and light duty pickups is disappearing. On top of that this VW adventure is not helping the diesel market. For me I'd stick with gasoline.

Great idea but the $33k-$45k/crew cab and loaded versions mean this won't see commercial market where majority of truck sales are. Rather unique set of buyers they targeting albeit more profitable end.

You can acquire the base model long bed long bed with extended cab for $20k-$22k.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
You can acquire the base model long bed long bed with extended cab for $20k-$22k.
I always bought 2wd new work-trucks, lowest trim available, since I never thought a pickup was a luxury car, something many confuse these days. Price of work trucks (full size) has gone from around $18,000 to much higher now though. Maybe this Colorado/Canyon dealio might get the work truck price down.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
DEF. No thanks.

Hey, that's what VW said!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
DEF. No thanks.

Hey, that's what VW said!
smile.gif

And I'm okay with that.

I'll take marginally higher emissions that won't have any affect long term (remember, still significantly less than diesels of the mid 00s, even) than have to dump glorified urine in the tank or have the vehicle disable itself.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: madRiver
I always bought 2wd new work-trucks, lowest trim available, since I never thought a pickup was a luxury car, something many confuse these days. Price of work trucks (full size) has gone from around $18,000 to much higher now though. Maybe this Colorado/Canyon dealio might get the work truck price down.

Agreed. If they offered this drivetrain in a base truck they would have a great work truck. But up to $45K seems just way to high priced with many features that I personally don't want.

DEF. No thanks.
Until better technology arrives, DEF will be a fact of life for diesels (at least in the US).

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
DEF. No thanks.
Until better technology arrives, DEF will be a fact of life for diesels (at least in the US).

More to the point, DEF is already a lower-hassle alternative. The manufacturers that tried to avoid DEF wound up using much more EGR, and that had a host of problems all its own, an those problems tricked down to making the particulate filters less reliable because of all the extra soot from all the extra EGR. DEF is really fairly trouble-free. A bigger worry for me is how many regneration cycles can the particulate filters really take, even on the less-sooty DEF engines?

I would be fine if it did something annoying like beeping on the instrument cluster or flashing a light. Disabling the vehicle (or in some cases limiting the top speed) is completely asinine and potentially life threatening.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
DEF. No thanks.

More to the point, DEF is already a lower-hassle alternative. The manufacturers that tried to avoid DEF wound up using much more EGR, and that had a host of problems all its own, an those problems tricked down to making the particulate filters less reliable because of all the extra soot from all the extra EGR. DEF is really fairly trouble-free. A bigger worry for me is how many regneration cycles can the particulate filters really take, even on the less-sooty DEF engines?

Agreed. DEF allows the engines to be tuned for better power and fuel economy than is allowed by EGR systems. Maybe the engine out NOx is higher, but the DEF aftertreatment cleans it up. Even considering the cost of DEF, SCR is a net benefit for the customer. The downside is the need to add DEF at some interval, but the vehicle gives you plenty of warning before it stops or derates.

DEF is something like 13-15$ for 2.5gallons that lasts over 3000miles?

Its sold nearly everywhere including sams club.

I would be fine if it did something annoying like beeping on the instrument cluster or flashing a light. Disabling the vehicle (or in some cases limiting the top speed) is completely asinine and potentially life threatening.

The same argument could be made about keeping the fuel tank full. Running out of DEF isn't going to be a surprise nor is it tough to find.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Even its low 181 hp isn't that bad knowing you get power right away at low RPMs anyway. The 2.5L gasoline 4 has 200 hp, but you have to hold it screamining at 6,200 RPM to benefit from it.
Still, almost $4k extra for the diesel. A forever payback period for MPG.

Who cares about HP in diesel trucks? 369 lb-ft of torque is what matters.

They do beep. They do warn you. They even have gauges. But for the absolute idiot who doesn't understands beeps and alarms they will go into reduced power mode. You add DEF and all is good again. It's kind of like a dope slap.

Last edited:
On my '15 F350 diesel if I am doing mostly highway driving, which I do, it averages to be about 2,000 mi. per gallon of DEF. Its really not a big deal. I fill the tank at my OCI which is roughly 10,000 mi.

I agree if someone gets stranded along the roadside because they run out of DEF they shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Originally Posted By: Rand
DEF is something like 13-15$ for 2.5gallons that lasts over 3000miles? Its sold nearly everywhere including sams club.
I bought 5 gallons of BlueDef for $37 and range depends on the vehicle. My PSD has about 2.3K on it now, the light will come on at 50%, but I have not seen it yet. My tank is 5 gallons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back