Replacing the Central A/C Unit

My first unit was a Goodman and it lasted from when the house was built in 1998 to 2017. It ran well and was the older R22 freon. The unit I got now is a Carrier unit and it works fine but one thing I notice is this is the newer type freon and a rotory type compressor. The newer units run at a much higher pressure then the old R22 unit. I do notice more noise from the compressor and the linset tubing...Kind of like a humming sound.

2 ton Carrier was replaced this spring, original install was when the house was built in 1996. Still worked, just knew it was getting there so got ahead of a failure. In my climate it's a shorter season of hot weather though.

2 ton Carrier was replaced this spring, original install was when the house was built in 1996. Still worked, just knew it was getting there so got ahead of a failure. In my climate it's a shorter season of hot weather though.
Do you notice any humming type sound from the unit and the line set...??? If I put my hand on the cold line you can feel the slight humming sound/feel in the line... Carrier says it is normal...sounds like a new car dealership service dept....

My two units are over 20 years old, the top floor can’t seem to maintain temp, I’ll probably start getting estimates. I’m hearing to replace both units will probably cost upwards of 12,000-15,000 thousand. Not looking forward to that. Especially with another kid starting college next fall.
I’m getting a full system replacement with a 5ton Amana 16 SEER 2 stage for $13k. When I priced up the full replacement a few years back, before the supply chain issues, it was closer to $10k. Kind of wish I had done it back then.

My A/C unit was installed in 2000, looks and performs like new.. However, it has had an easy life so far here in Ohio and has not had the hard life as many who have posted in the really hot climates.

The old saying applies here, "location, location, location".
And wife wife wife 😷

One of the problems here is once you go really high - the system could be VFD and the control side can only handle so many of those ugly thunderstorms (you will recall) … and you are waiting on a Techie to come by …
In my case - we have a long tree line with open land behind it - nice magnet for strikes too …

My dealer walked me through all the plus and minus stuff (like that) and then I asked him what did you put in your home.
He smiled and said two stage - so we rolled with that …
Yeah, I’m getting a two sage

What most people did not do yearly is washing the outside coil at least once a year.
It is important in TX and it cools down better because the AC works more efficiently.

Now, speaking about replacing.
There are supply issue with new ACs. So, the price is actually 2x what it was before.
I talked to my AC service company owner in Sept. said he had been waiting for 2 months for a new Trane unit for his customer.
The price is very high. The only one that has better availability is Rheem since it is made in Mexico.
Keep that in mind.
Yeah, supply chain sucks right now for just about everything. But the installer can get an Amana (I believe made in the US) for us pretty quick. Should have it next week. Getting a 10yrs parts and labor warranty and 0% financing for two years, which was the deal closer for us... I don’t plan on keeping the house that long, I’m tired of fixing the old unit, and I’m good with borrowing some interest free money.

I did something I have never done before and got 6 estimates.
That is what everyone should do.
I found companies that sold the lowest rated units were as high or higher than top rated systems.

Those who sold the bottom wrung products loaded up the estimate with warranties the higher end units came with.

In the end I got a great deal on super efficient models with a great warranty and I cross shopped dealers who sold the same brand.

The price difference was huge and a one day install on four units where the higher estimate company wanted 2-3 day install time.

Beware of the dealer who says you don't need this or that.

My central air was installed in 1996. It works fine. I did wear out a window unit that I ran a lot that I used to keep my upstairs cool. It was the smallest window AC that you can buy, and it lasted 7 years.

Do you notice any humming type sound from the unit and the line set...??? If I put my hand on the cold line you can feel the slight humming sound/feel in the line... Carrier says it is normal...sounds like a new car dealership service dept....
No, are you talking about the line outside at the unit or inside at the handler?

I'm getting a new American Standard Gold 3.5 ton installed 12/21. Right now I have no heat, something broke...not too big a deal here. 19 years to the month I got out of the old unit which is an AS, too. The wire from the unit to thermostat is literally falling apart due to age and heat on the roof. Prices are going up 12% 1/1/22. I figured with the very high usage here in HOT AZ, get it done now while its cool, solve multiple issues, save some money with current pricing, avoid it going out mid summer and supply shortages, and have to wait a couple weeks with temps well into the 100s.

One think I was told by the installer of my Carrier unit after I told him that my Goodman R22 unit lasted for 20 years.... Dont expect 20 years out of these newer units....

Around 12-14 years on compressor the coil was replaced once during that time. The biggest mistake we made was just replacing A/C rather than the entire system because it prevented us from exploring a multi-stage or heat-pump. We replaced the furnace about 2-3 yrs after the A/C.

The original system was builder-grade R-22 with the failure prone bi-metal coil and no TXV. Never mind the lowest-bidder install made a comfort almost an impossibility. In fact, I wouldn't mind if our place caught fire and burned to the ground.

Last edited:
Back