Replacing the Central A/C Unit

Finally decided to bite the bullet and replace the central A/C unit. I’ve been limping it along for quite awhile. Broke down again this week and this will be the end of it. At almost 20yrs old it doesn’t owe me anything.

How long did you get out of your last unit and/or how old is your current unit?

The compressor died in our 5 ton unit at 11-1/2 years old. $3200 for a new compressor or $5600 for a new outdoor unit with a 10 year warranty...which is what we did. Two years old.

The other unit in the house is a 3 ton, and it's still running along fine after 13-1/2 years. (knock on wood)

My first house the AC was 28 years old and still worked but it was costing me about $500 per month. In my current house the AC was put in back in 1992 and I just replaced it last Spring so 29 years. Again, still ran and cooled fine but it was costing too much. Neither of those original ACs even required any service in a combined 14 years in those two houses with the old ACs.

There are a lot of potential pit falls with buying a new AC. People have preferences for different manufactures and everyone will swear one is great and another horrible but the truth is out of all of the variables the installer and how the install is done is probably the most important factor. The second is just making sure it's sized correctly. Lastly, if you got 20 years out of your last AC and it cooled well chances are there aren't any major issues with duct work/returns/size and I'd be suspect of anyone who wanted to change the size without providing a Manual J and some justification.

My grandfather has a 17 year old 3-ton York. It surprisingly (knock on wood) is running well even in this crazy Phoenix heat. It had some wires burn up about 8-9 year ago, and about 6 years ago the outside fan motor died. Other than that, good unit. It never gets maintained by an HVAC company. I hose out the coils and use coil cleaner every year for the last 7 years or so.

30 year old Trane unit at my house. If it broke down, I'd certainly spend a few thou to fix it. New systems, even from a U.S. company, are full of Chinese parts that won't last anywhere near as long as your original A/C. Put a new A/C system in my Florida place a few years ago. 18 months later the compressor went out. Part under warranty, but still $300 labor and wondering what's next to quit.

The one in our former home was 13 years old when we sold the house. It never gave us a minute of trouble. We had a complete cleaning of the inside and outside units every other year. We had the breakers and relays checked at the same time and replaced if needed. At this time, we also had the refrigerant checked and topped up if needed. We changed the filter once per month. Regularly scheduled maintenance is key to the long life of a hvac unit.

The unit in our current home is 8 years old. We follow our old service schedule. The unit was well maintained before we brought the house. The former homeowner gave us the service records when we purchased the house.

Last edited:
My 4 ton Trane XL was installed in 1994. The only repair in 27 years was a start capacitor 2 years ago.

After 17 years we went ahead and cut/blocked the central vents and installed a split system in our 3 bedroom house. It’s been great and our electric usage was cut 30-40%.

Split units are the way to go, High SEER and a ROI. Central AC can have high SEER, but you will never recoup that cost in the high price of purchase.

Certainly the SEER rating will be much higher than a 20 year old unit. Much more efficient and cheaper to operate.
One of the problems here is once you go really high - the system could be VFD and the control side can only handle so many of those ugly thunderstorms (you will recall) … and you are waiting on a Techie to come by …
In my case - we have a long tree line with open land behind it - nice magnet for strikes too …

My dealer walked me through all the plus and minus stuff (like that) and then I asked him what did you put in your home.
He smiled and said two stage - so we rolled with that …

......... How long did you get out of your last unit and/or how old is your current unit?

These things really need an hour meter on them, with a display that's readable somewhere inside the house. Because where you are located dictates length of service far more than years. For example, in the upper Midwest you have what amounts to a 90 day Summer. (June, July, and August). And over half of that time A/C isn't needed.

Out here in the desert Southwest, you start using A/C as early as April. And don't stop until late October, or even as late as early November. And it runs pretty much 24/7 from the end of May until mid September. And when it not, it doesn't rest for long. In June and July we can have 120+ F days, and an evening low of 95-100 F. So they basically never shut off.

An A/C system can see a lifetime of use in as little a 5 years. And yet some can last close to 20. It just depends. One thing there is no shortage of around here on the streets in the Summer months, are A/C service trucks. They're everywhere. My unit was installed in 2014. We bought the home in 2019. So this next Summer it will be going on it's 8th year. So it could cook off at any time.

These things really need an hour meter on them, with a display that's readable somewhere inside the house. Because where you are located dictates length of service far more than years. For example, in the upper Midwest you have what amounts to a 90 day Summer. (June, July, and August). And over half of that time A/C isn't needed.

Out here in the desert Southwest, you start using A/C as early as April. And don't stop until late October, or even as late as early November. And it runs pretty much 24/7 from the end of May until mid September. And when it not, it doesn't rest for long. In June and July we can have 120+ F days, and an evening low of 95-100 F. So they basically never shut off.

An A/C system can see a lifetime of use in as little a 5 years. And yet some can last close to 20. It just depends. One thing there is no shortage of around here on the streets in the Summer months, are A/C service trucks. They're everywhere. My unit was installed in 2014. We bought the home in 2019. So this next Summer it will be going on it's 8th year. So it could cook off at any time.
I've still got the A/C running now. Probably soon it won't kick on anymore though.

What most people did not do yearly is washing the outside coil at least once a year.
It is important in TX and it cools down better because the AC works more efficiently.

Now, speaking about replacing.
There are supply issue with new ACs. So, the price is actually 2x what it was before.
I talked to my AC service company owner in Sept. said he had been waiting for 2 months for a new Trane unit for his customer.
The price is very high. The only one that has better availability is Rheem since it is made in Mexico.
Keep that in mind.

What most people did not do yearly is washing the outside coil at least once a year.
It is important in TX and it cools down better because the AC works more efficiently.
While this is very true, it's not always easily possible. When I lived in Glendale, Arizona my unit was mounted on a slab that sat on the ground. It was very easy to wash the dust and dirt out of the coil in the early Spring, before the start of the A/C season. As you said, it makes the unit operate much more efficiently.

Out here in Lake Havasu, the bulk of the A/C systems are roof mounted. It's much more difficult to wash them down. Especially as you get older. For me at my age, I'm not too keen climbing ladders to get up on roofs, unless I absolutely have to. And most places won't come out to clean the unit, without giving it a, "29 point multi check", or some such, that all but assures they'll find something wrong, and you'll end up paying for far more than a hosing off. As a result you'll end up getting "hosed" in more ways than one.

My A/C unit was installed in 2000, looks and performs like new.. However, it has had an easy life so far here in Ohio and has not had the hard life as many who have posted in the really hot climates.

The old saying applies here, "location, location, location".

My two units are over 20 years old, the top floor can’t seem to maintain temp, I’ll probably start getting estimates. I’m hearing to replace both units will probably cost upwards of 12,000-15,000 thousand. Not looking forward to that. Especially with another kid starting college next fall.

Back