Replacement windshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Just had the windshield replaced in the 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek. I've been REAL lucky given it's been a good 20+yrs since I've had to have one replaced! Caught two stones on my way to work a few weeks ago. Made it through the first one. The second, BAMM! with a big bulls-eye chip that turned into a 12" crack some days later. Anyway.. I see the replacement is made by Pilkington? I've never heard of them.

The local shop that did the replacement seems to have done a nice job, but I see all the push-plugs they had to pull on the cowling have been replaced with universal type plugs. That kind of irritates me.

This is a weird looking w/s with heating elements behind the wiper blades. The glass isn't symmetric, with the lower right hanging down a good 6" lower than the left.

I asked him what this would have cost paying cash. He said "around $300". Seems cheap scarily enough.

Pilkington is a OEM, and has a good reputation for quality.

the heating elements is the wiper deicer. It will come in handy in the winter

I hear you on the w/s deicer. Totally felt like a goof not knowing it was there until I went to check (glass guy asked if w/s was so equipped before he ordered). Part of Subaru's "all weather package" It turns on with rear and side mirror defrosters per the manual.

Last edited:
Driving a new car (windshield) on the road is akin to wearing your hard earned, newest, bestest Levi bell bottoms while servicing an acid car battery. Their both doomed to similar fates.

I had our new car windshield replaced two months into ownership.
11.gif

Have had several replaced. Get in contact with your insurance company.

They will come to your home or place of work and replace it.

Last one was done at home. Took about 30 minutes or so.

Had one vehicle with a total of 3 windshields replaced.

If more people would get mud flaps it would be a +.

My aunt has a 2013 VW Beetle TDI and she got a really big chip in the windshield when it was 1 week old. 4 months later it turned into a crack and Safelite installed the windshield and put in a Pilkington. It's already getting pretty pitted and the windshield only has around 12k miles. It also has a lot of wind noise.

Next one will be at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My aunt has a 2013 VW Beetle TDI and she got a really big chip in the windshield when it was 1 week old. 4 months later it turned into a crack and Safelite installed the windshield and put in a Pilkington. It's already getting pretty pitted and the windshield only has around 12k miles. It also has a lot of wind noise.

My VW seems to have soft glass; one year of driving and the pitting is noticable. I've replaced it twice already, and am just waiting for one of the chips to get worse so I can replace it again--I really ought to just do it, as it's getting to the point where driving into the sun is getting hard.

Always nice getting a nice new one! Always amazed at the difference. Just like cleaning ones eyeglasses, the world seems a much brighter place.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Agreed. I have been very happy with the Pilkington I had installed about a year and a half ago. Crystal clear with no wavy areas.

Just recently I replaced the windshield on the Mazda 3. It is also a pilkington. It came with a windshield wiper sensor and so far it works like the original one. The quality of glass also matches the OEM with no distortion like many cheaper aftermarket offerings.

and Safelite installed the windshield and put in a Pilkington. It's already getting pretty pitted and the windshield only has around 12k miles. It also has a lot of wind noise.

The generic chinese one Safelite put in mine a few years ago is pitted something fierce. It has taken quite a few hits.

Has anyone noticed any cowling/fastener funny business after the w/s replacement? Like I say, I'm not thrilled with the universal replacement push-plugs, but they seem to be doing their job. I know one of my buddies found his cowling siliconed in place after a w/s replacement. Nightmare.

Pilkington is British and one of the largest makers of auto glass in the world. They did have a near-monopoly on the manufacturing process for a certain type of glass and fought hard to protect it even after their patents expired.

Still - they're OEM quality as many indicated. They're OEM on a lot of European cars.

I got a replacement Pilkington windshield on my WRX. My main issue is that it's tinted slightly green, while the rest of the factory glass is smoke tinted.

Originally Posted By: supton

My VW seems to have soft glass; one year of driving and the pitting is noticable. I've replaced it twice already, and am just waiting for one of the chips to get worse so I can replace it again--I really ought to just do it, as it's getting to the point where driving into the sun is getting hard.

Always nice getting a nice new one! Always amazed at the difference. Just like cleaning ones eyeglasses, the world seems a much brighter place.
Yeah maybe they use soft ones especially on VWs? Even the 04' is getting pitted, and it's had 6 or 7 windshields. All in town interstate miles in the desert, lots of rocks to flip up and crack the windshield.

Check above the windshield. I had several strikes above the windshield, like six, with attendent rust spots now.

Not that rust is an issue for you and all, but otherwise you might not notice a chip in your black paint normally.

Leading edge of the hood took a beating too, but at least you expect it there.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Have had several replaced. Get in contact with your insurance company.

They will come to your home or place of work and replace it.

Last one was done at home. Took about 30 minutes or so.

Had one vehicle with a total of 3 windshields replaced.

If more people would get mud flaps it would be a +.

It's a requirement in some European markets. Volvo and SAAb used to have flaps on all their cars.

The body shop that repaired my CR-V put a replacement windshield in. It's also made by Pilkington...so I should probably say that it's a replacement windscreen. The factory glass didn't have the blue tint at the top, but the Pilkington one does, so that's a nice touch.

Check above the windshield. I had several strikes above the windshield, like six, with attendent rust spots now.

Not that rust is an issue for you and all, but otherwise you might not notice a chip in your black paint normally.

Leading edge of the hood took a beating too, but at least you expect it there.
The paint above the windshield is near perfect, but not the fron of the hood, that literally has hundreds of rock chips in it. It's also cra.ppy paint after a semi-truck tire tread smacked the front of the car about 6-7 years ago.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

I agree with the above statement.

I agree with the above statement, and the one above that!
banana2.gif

If insurance will replace it you might as well, especially if there's no deductible.

However, for anyone that has a high deductible, or doesn't have full coverage, if the windshield is just getting pitted but isn't cracked look for soemone who will compount and buff it. I used to know a guy that did a compound and buff on a normal sized window for about $40. It looked brand new when finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back