Windshield Biz Changing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
A few years ago, I cracked the windshield of my 2009 Genesis. Insisted I wanted an OEM replacement. My Hyundai dealer (who like most dealers) does not do windshield replacement.

Dealer ordered the OEM replacement, and it arrived in a Hyundai carton. (All Hyundai OEM parts come in a Hyundai carton). Dealer then got his local glass shop to change it. I paid a little more, the difference between what insurance pays and what it ended up costing, but I was very happy with the whole thing.

I believe in OEM.

Ditto. When a stone cracked the windshield in my 2 Series my insurance company wanted me to use Safelite. Instead I took it to my dealer and the OEM BMW windshield was installed in their shop(they don't sub out glass work). As it turned out I still paid $0 out of pocket.
When I worked there we had more than a few cars come in with issues involving the rain sensor and/or camera(s) after a non OEM windshield had been installed.
Shoddy installation was the usual culprit.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
About 5 years ago I had my windshield replaced. I did the usual OCD stuff and chose a local independent shop and managed to get an "OEM" windshield (original mfg, but no brand logo).

The quoted prices from all companies were within $15 of each other. Safelight started out $40 more, but then emailed me aggressively, first $30 off, then $40 off.

Sadly, it seems that Chinese glass is getting much more prevalent.

1. You spent umpteen hours "comparing". I am sure it was comparing pricing. You even say so above.
2. You wanted cheap.
3. The chinese know Americans want cheap stuff.
4. They are willing to supply it.

Americans want the cheapest of everything, but world-class quality. Don't work.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Stand 30 feet off to the side of your car even with the front tire and look through the glass at an angle. Some of this cheap glass has horrible waves in it. My last used truck had a cheap windshield already and you could see the distortion while driving. Junk.

YES. XYG glass(DOT 563) and Auto Temp(DOT 509) are the worse at that, so is Safelite. The FYG on my parent's car is OK, but I also sat in a bus with that had FYG-made glass and you can definitely see the waves in the glass, it looks worse with polarized sunglasses on.

PPG/PGW used to boast OEM quality - but now their aftermarket glass is rebranded XYG but the optical quality has improved. I still wouldn't trust it. I'd pick an FYG over XYG/Auto Temp any day of the week if had to get some glass replaced.

Decided to deal with my broken windshield today, called my insurance and found out I don't have glass replacement on my policy so I'm paying out of pocket. Called around.

Local company #1 wouldn't give me a price without providing all my personal info.

Local company #2 got a little snarky when I wouldn't give them my info (other than VIN) but gave a price of $253 for FYG or XYG glass, $383 for a Mopar. Tried pushing me to the cheaper glass but couldn't guarantee which I would get. Gave me his name and made a snarky comment about not knowing who I was even though I had given him my first name. Yelp reviews seemed suspiciously good, like they were fake. Hundreds of 5 star reviews for an auto glass company? I don't think so.

Local company #3 went to voicemail

Safelite - Liked the person I talked to, gave me a price of $259 for generic (didn't ask brand since I didn't want it) or $369 for Mopar. $29 fee if I wanted them to come to me. Said they could do it today. Sold! Used them for 2 repairs and a replacement in the last 4 years and was satisfied. We'll see how this goes.

I dont replace unless I have to. my windshield has been cracked two weeks since new, 10.75 years now. since it is not in my vision, and most places are hacks, I leave it as is.

Well, its very dependent on the nature of the crack. The most important thing to remember is that today's windshields are considered to be part of the roof structure and they contribute to the safety of the vehicle during an accident. In many vehicles, some airbag deployment is dependent on a sound windshield.

I also PM's with dishdude and shared information about the need for proper recalibration of the vehicle after an accident for sensors tied to the windshield (lane departure, etc.)

They showed up yesterday with the wrong windshield. My car doesn't have lane departure, but does have forward collision. Apparently they use the same camera...kind of my fault since the CSR said my VIN showed I had lane departure and I told them it didn't, neither of us realized both systems had a camera mounted under the rear view mirror.

Since then I received an email from them (I guess once they updated the order with the correct glass) that I might need to go to the dealer and get the camera recalibrated.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
who cares if the glass is of lessor quality since it will be replaced for free if it cracks again.

1) Some aftermarket glass is extremely wavy.
2) The windshield is a structural part of the vehicle.
3) Sometimes the LDWS or FCW can't be calibrated with aftermarket windshields because they vary so much from OEM.
4) Some dealers will not even attempt to calibrate your camera if you have aftermarket glass for liability reasons.
5) Aftermarket glass commonly transmits more noise into the cabin.
6) Just like aftermarket sheet metal, aftermarket glass is frequently misshapen in terms of curvature and/or dimensions, which probably has something to do with points 1,2,3,4, and 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back