Replace or resurface rotors

Howdy all,

So I’m planning on doing brakes all the way around on my ‘17 Highlander in a week or so. It has about 65,000 miles on it and the rotors have plenty of thickness left and are in great condition. My plan was to take them to an auto shop down the street from me that will resurface them for $10 each on a bench brake-lathe; however, I just got a “Black Friday/Cyber Monday” type deal where I can get all four of a new OE set (Advics ultra-premium high carbon) for about $232 ($58 each). What would you guys do? I don’t live in a rust-prone area, but I just want to minimize any issues with vibrations/pulsations/noise. The Toyota dealer here told me they can resurface 2-3 times with an on-car lathe without issue because these OE rotors are built so well.

"The Toyota dealer here told me they can resurface 2-3 times with an on-car lathe without issue because these OE rotors are built so well."
I would go with the dealer's recommendation and resurface, they wouldn't resurface if it resulted in dissatisfied customers. As well as eliminating any pulsation, resurfacing removes that ridge between the pad contact area and the rest of the disc.

Isn’t it best for brake performance/longevity to start new pads on a machined/new rotor surface?
If done correctly, yes.

Very few bench lathe operators can produce the same results as an on-car lathe. If you have the rotors resurfaced using a bench lathe, measure the lateral runout using a dial indicator. It needs to be .001” or less.

Agree with this.

If the braking is smooth, just do the pads. If the rotors need resurfacing in the future, you will have plenty of thickness to do that.
I'd do that too. Saves the cost of resurfacing if all goes well, and if not, it doesn't take long to pop the rotors off again if need be.

I usually just replace my rotors but on my little cars they are pretty small. Recently I did the brakes on my Impala and I just didn't have the heart to scrap its comparitively-large rotors. So I had them resurfaced..... Turns out, where I live, no one does that any more. I finally found one shop that would do it, but I had to drop off and leave them. The one guy there that knows how to do it only works one day a week!

Controversial - I hand sand used, excellent condition rotors with 120 grit sandpaper to break/remove the pad transfer glaze when re-using them. Never a problem so far. I also am glad I followed recommendations here to use a dial caliper to confirm run out. The very cheap Harbor Freight model works good enuff for rare diy use.

If it needs rotors I just always replace mine. I don’t machine any on my personal cars. At work we do a lot of machining them but I really don’t see the point these days. We don’t have an on car lathe I wish we did though it would make doing it way more convenient and I would probably enjoy it more. If it is not scratched up then I would not worry about it. If they are pulsating they need to be replaced because that means they are warped.

I find any reputable aftermarket rotors better than OE Toyota. I had to change so many of OE on my Prado that I am not sure I change oil that many times on that vehicle. Had same vibrating, pulsating issue on Sienna, and had same solution: aftermarket rotors.
Get Raybestos, EBC, Brembo….

Isn’t it best for brake performance/longevity to start new pads on a machined/new rotor surface?
If that's a worry, go over the rotors with a disc like,

81v1jBTQ3+L._SL1500_.jpg

I'd take the original used Toyota discs over some new Chinese ones any day, especially if it save over $200.

Back