Repairing Pot Metal Cable Hooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The self-propel on my LB pusher quit working because the hook at the end of the cable that runs up to the handle broke off. Are there any known good ways to fix these? I'd rather not have to buy a new cable when the only thing that's wrong is it's missing that last 1/4" of pot metal at the end. BTW, the missing bit is gone so glue is out but maybe make a new one with JB?

I've never had any luck fixing pot metal. The telegraph slice might work if you've got enough cable to work with. You can do a lot of things with JB Weld, but I suspect that fabricating a long lasting end to that cable is not one of them. Also, you've got to be careful jury rigging something on that self propelled mechanism. Depending on the details, you can wreck the drive unit if you don't get the amount of engagement force right, though that's usually a problem with stretched/too long cables (can cause the clutch to slip and wear out, if it actually has a clutch). If it were me and I wanted to keep the mower for any length of time I'd just spring for a new cable.

In sportfishing stores there are some steel crimp ferrules that could probably splice a thin old cable to a new segment. They are about 2mm ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back