Rental truck review - 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 Crew Cab

I will say I watched that video.. and It may be a winner.
6speed mt available and not just base package.(but not iforce max)

Its a very good video from a marketing perspective too.

" 326 net combined horsepower and an eye-popping 465 lb.-ft. of low-end torque at 1700 rpm."
obviously pricing will matter in how much of a homerun it is.
if it creeps up 10k+ in price...

The bad/odd.. a built in jbl flex portable dash speaker??????

Last edited:
He certainly didn't say that either was "so bad".

All cars and trucks have features that can be improved upon.
That is absolutely the subtext from what he rather diplomatically said. I disagree that one can equivocate away the very real and very unique problems with the 3rd Gen Tacoma.

Try driving a Frontier (or even Ridgeline) if you want to feel what an NA v6 midsize truck drivetrain should feel like. Try driving a Highlander if you want to feel what the 2gr-fks can do with a better transmission. The 3rd Gen Tacoma has more serious issues than is typical.

That is absolutely the subtext from what he rather diplomatically said. I disagree that one can equivocate away the very real and very unique problems with the 3rd Gen Tacoma.

Try driving a Frontier (or even Ridgeline) if you want to feel what an NA v6 midsize truck drivetrain should feel like. Try driving a Highlander if you want to feel what the 2gr-fks can do with a better transmission. The 3rd Gen Tacoma has more serious issues than is typical.
I have driven all of them. The Taco isn't that bad to me, and the Frontier (current and previous generation) is ok as well. I don't find the seating position or transmission to be particularly offensive.

I owned a 2019 SR5 4x4 V6 for about a year. The transmission is terrible, any hill would make it skitzo and shift terrible, let alone low speed up to 45 again the transmission could not decide what to do. I got a tune to try and sort things, and it helped but somehow the computer still made things unbearable. This platform is on my no thanks list.

Back