Rental truck review - 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 Crew Cab

Had one for a rental not long ago. Was not impressed. the seating position is odd, practically sitting on the floor. I am 6’5” and that truck is not for folks my size. The ride was a bit rough, a little unpredictable at times. The motor was loud, and I did not come close to 20 mpg, more like 16 combined. I liked the looks though, cool color and styling.

This is my take on the Tacoma as well... I like the idea of them, absolutely do not like being in or driving them.. The seating position in the passenger seat is equally bad. The seat is so low to the floor I felt like my knees were up at chest level.

It is definitely in that wierd spot that is also occupied by the gladiator but at least with those you can drive on a dirt road (sarcasm)

When in the market a few years back I test drove the taco, gladiator and both were sorta MEH.. and got worse/similar gas mileage to a
2020 ram with offroad package and hemi.

The ram you could play cards in at the rest stop. its that big inside and rides like a luxury car by comparison. Long wheelbase + Rear coils ftw.

A friend of mine had a '90 with a 5-speed..... Yeah, several generations ago in the Toyota timeline but it had the same low seats. I drove it several times and the seats were remarkably similar to those in my Fiero. You sit low to the floor with legs straight out in front of you. Working the clutch was fatiguing because I pretty much had to lift my leg to step on the clutch.

I thought one of the appeals of trucks/SUVs was the upright seating? Apparently that doesn't apply to the Tacoma.
If you're going to have a good ground clearance, a ladder frame, and a reasonable CoG with an off road friendly vehicle width, then having a car like seating position makes sense. If you want to drive around sitting in an office chair in your living room, while towing a small house, then get a different truck. This one isn't for you...
Its built for a purpose, and its design reflects that. A 1 ton mega cab does some things well, and a Tacoma does other things well, pick your truck accordingly.

It is definitely in that wierd spot that is also occupied by the gladiator but at least with those you can drive on a dirt road (sarcasm)

When in the market a few years back I test drove the taco, gladiator and both were sorta MEH.. and got worse/similar gas mileage to a
2020 ram with offroad package and hemi.

The ram you could play cards in at the rest stop. its that big inside and rides like a luxury car by comparison. Long wheelbase + Rear coils ftw.

Or you could play cards when you're in the dealer waiting for repairs on the Ram.

If people are buying trucks trying to get good MPG's they're gonna be sorely disappointed.

If you're going to have a good ground clearance, a ladder frame, and a reasonable CoG with an off road friendly vehicle width, then having a car like seating position makes sense. If you want to drive around sitting in an office chair in your living room, while towing a small house, then get a different truck. This one isn't for you...
Its built for a purpose, and its design reflects that. A 1 ton mega cab does some things well, and a Tacoma does other things well, pick your truck accordingly.
Toyota’s chief engineer said they changed the seating position and power train in the new Tacoma because the 3rd gen was so bad. These excuses are invalid; they are a false dichotomy.

Or you could play cards when you're in the dealer waiting for repairs on the Ram.

If people are buying trucks trying to get good MPG's they're gonna be sorely disappointed.
Haha. That is a very Tacoma response. I am glad you like yours and I'm very pro anything with a manual transmission so that is neat. My buddy has a Tacoma and he is 100% in love with it still (2019 or 20 model). Different strokes for different folks.

There's that tiny little HVAC display that I complained about.

I think I have a $5 solar calculator from the 1990's with a display that big.

1698158041566.jpg

Haha. That is a very Tacoma response. I am glad you like yours and I'm very pro anything with a manual transmission so that is neat. My buddy has a Tacoma and he is 100% in love with it still (2019 or 20 model). Different strokes for different folks.

Honestly Tacoma's are just fashion statements, especially the TRD Offroad's and Sports (yes, I called out even myself in that).

Several co-workers that have domestic trucks deep trading them due to issues that keep happening. Just what I've seen. I just trade to get a different color or options... :censored:

Toyota’s chief engineer said they changed the seating position and power train in the new Tacoma because the 3rd gen was so bad. These excuses are invalid; they are a false dichotomy.
Well, I think its more likely they want to increase market share, so now the old truck is "bad" and the new truck is "good"... And it's probably better for the average buyer, and so they will sell more, but its probably going to be a bit bigger and a bit higher, and probably not as easy to drive a trail with, but that's a design compromise that the average buyer doesn't care about.
There is still the fact that having a large upright seating interior space forces compromises in other aspects of a vehicle. Simple geometry and engineering shows this.

There's that tiny little HVAC display that I complained about.

I think I have a $5 solar calculator from the 1990's with a display that big.

View attachment 184962

Meh, to each their own. I don't like having a giant computer screen on my dash to display that info. Another reason why I went with a '19 Subaru instead of a '20 due to the newer ones looking like they have a big Android tablet stuck in the dash...

Meh, to each their own. I don't like having a giant computer screen on my dash to display that info. Another reason why I went with a '19 Subaru instead of a '20 due to the newer ones looking like they have a big Android tablet stuck in the dash...
Its funny you say that.. I have a 22 and I think its about normal.. about the same as a 8.4" uconnect etc.

Have you seen the new top model trax/envista.. or even a mazda.. giant tablet sticking out of the dash in "midair"
I mean... as long as it still has knobs for hvac and switches for heated seats(both gone on the mentioned gm product) I would be ok but

the Top of the line envision has buttons and 20" wide giant dash screen with no sunshielding overhang.

Hopefully they are real push buttons and not that haptic (touch buttons) bs VW was starting to use.

Edited for clarity (and to fix wrong model name.. dang buicks)

Last edited:
Its funny you say that.. I have a 22 and I think its about normal.. about the same as a 8.4" uconnect etc.

Have you seen the new top model trax/envision.. or even a mazda.. giant tablet sticking out of the dash in "midair"
I mean... as long as it still has knobs for hvac and switches for heated seats(oops thats gone) I would be ok but

the Top of the line envision has push buttons and 20" wide giant dash screen with no sunshielding overhang.

Pretty sure we're gonna be driving giant computer screens in the near future...

A "car-like seating position" would be a big improvement in these trucks. These trucks don't have that.

Honestly Tacoma's are just fashion statements, especially the TRD Offroad's and Sports (yes, I called out even myself in that).

Several co-workers that have domestic trucks deep trading them due to issues that keep happening. Just what I've seen. I just trade to get a different color or options... :censored:
TRD Offroad has a rear locker.

Here comes the barf.
Touch buttons all over and tons of glare who thought that was a good idea?? Some guy who takes the bus to work and has no driver license?

Also why arent we using matte screens. for this.
Same guy who thought plastic chrome all over the inside of car is a good idea? (sunglare).

1698158964448.png

AND number 2 because its the ....
1698159302602.png

If you stay away from the top trim at least it has a couple knobs.. I'll give it that.

non top trim
1698159173775.jpg

Last edited:
Back