Rental review - 2024 4Runner

And yet they continue to sell every one they make . . . .
I don't know this for a fact-bit I'm guessing that those who buy one adventure off road a little more, or needs it for snow. I would also guess the demographics skew a tad younger-where ergonomics (which are terrible) are not as important. Again just a guess.

I don't know this for a fact-bit I'm guessing that those who buy one adventure off road a little more, or needs it for snow. I would also guess the demographics skew a tad younger-where ergonomics (which are terrible) are not as important. Again just a guess.
100k units a year is not a niche product.

Bumped into a guy at the car wash the other day with a new limited. Asked him about. Said he wanted the build quality and reliability of the 4Runner before they changed them for a new model that would take a few years to straighten out.

Basically same reason I got ours. Needed a utility vehicle and wanted something pretty bulletproof.

They are not inexpensive and neither his, nor mine purchased 8 years earlier, were purchased with much of a discount. You can do better on the Lexus version in terms of getting a discount (even though they are still more expensive obviously) but I wanted the roll down rear window.

What's your opinion about Sienna?
Haven’t driven one, but several factors took the current model out of contention for us:

1. Hybrid powertrain
2. CVT
3. Non-removable 2nd row seats
4. No magic-slide system on 2nd row seats (this has proven to be invaluable in our situation, with 1 kid still rear-facing (in middle row), and 1 of the bigger kids always needing to climb back into the last row)
5. Sienna is far more expensive, and I’ve heard availability is poor (honestly never checked, as the above took it out of consideration for us).

Haven’t driven one, but several factors took the current model out of contention for us:

1. Hybrid powertrain
2. CVT
Those are the two reasons why everyone wants a Sienna. If you had been more open-minded about the matter, you would have seen what you were missing out on.

The 4th gen HSD's durability is well-proven and the CVT keeps the powertrain in its power band.

Those are the two reasons why everyone wants a Sienna. If you had been more open-minded about the matter, you would have seen what you were missing out on.

The 4th gen HSD's durability is well-proven and the CVT keeps the powertrain in its power band.
Not everyone.

Some prefer the function of a non-hybrid engine with a traditional, geared automatic transmission. We fall into this category.

Granted, the hybrid kicks the Odyssey’s tail in economy. That’s a compromise we accepted. It still doesn’t do too bad if you keep your foot out of it. Certainly far superior to the 4Runner which we traded.

What we gained was a van that drives exceptionally well, and offers a fun, dare I say, even, sporty (for what it is), driving experience.

It’ll also leave any other van in its dust with regard to acceleration.

Absolute dog over mountain passes. I rented one for three days to see whether it would work for us. The powertrain is a real struggle. Whatever we gained in fuel economy in regular driving, we lost trying to keep up with traffic in the mountains. Maybe where everything is flat is fine, but here? And that noise? Yuck.

Back