Rental review - 2024 4Runner

You can't beat the 4.0 V6 and 5-spd auto if you want longevity and reliability. So many people here complain about turbos, DI, and CVT...well, these 4runners are the antithesis of modern vehicles until the 2025 model rolls out. Also, the 4Runner is built in Japan at the well-esteemed Tahara plant which is worth something.
I definitely am reassessing my opinion of the 4runner after reading these comments. And I do think the vehicle being made in Japan is 'worth something'. I didn't realize you could still get actual Japanese made vehicles in the US.

Prior to getting the ZR2 I was interested in a new 4Runner. I liked the 4Runner despite it being a dinosaur. If you're not interested in all the new technology, and just need an extremely reliable SUV that has off-road capability, it's still competitive and why it has continued to sell.
That ZR2 - like my Rubicon - actually runs 4 😷

We considered these for the 21 model year, but went with the JGC for the Wife. The only real complaint we had was the seats were terrible. But I respect it for what it is.

Not sure what she’ll go for next. She usually wants a new one about every 5 years. She doesn’t like the new JGC either.

They have the best engines! None of these Turbo or DI trouble makers ...
Hope they don't change them any time soon.

Edit:
Just read more posts and googled to find out 2025 will have a 2.4L Turbo, 8-Spd Auto. Too bad. it's off my list now.

I've had v6 Tacommas for decades and always wanted a 4Runner but didn't need one! Maybe I should find an excuse to buy a 2024! :unsure: lol

Last edited:
Seems a lot of folks are complaining about the seats.

As many here know, the wife and I had a 2021 4Runner for 3 years and 69,000 miles (we just traded it for an Odyssey out of necessity - our family outgrew it).

We never had a problem with the seats. We found them to be quite comfortable. In fact, the 4Runner has much more leg room than the Odyssey (that's my only complaint with the Odyssey - I'm over 6' and the pedals are too close, even with the seat fully aft).

So I guess, like a lot of things, the seats are very much subject to individual opinion/preference.

We liked the 4Runner a lot. It just felt very solid, and you knew it just wasn't going to break. Like, nothing was ever going to break, LOL!

Needless to say it required zero trips to the dealership in our 3 years of ownership (I took care of all routine maint).

I had only very minor complaints about it, and that's if I was being picky.

The first was fuel economy (obviously, and it's the same complaint I still have with my Tacoma). It's the definition of dismal when you're getting the same economy as vehicles that are FAR larger, heavier, and more powerful (we usually got between 15-18, depending on if my wife or I was driving it).

The powertrain doesn't pack much punch, and isn't very refined, by 2024 standards (or 2014 standards, haha). It's loud. It's buzzy. The engine is rated at 270 HP and 278 FT-LBs, but it feels pretty anemic because the truck is heavy and the engine is tuned more for torque, so it's not the happiest camper when you rev it up.

Other than that, we really liked it.

We considered these for the 21 model year, but went with the JGC for the Wife. The only real complaint we had was the seats were terrible. But I respect it for what it is.

Not sure what she’ll go for next. She usually wants a new one about every 5 years. She doesn’t like the new JGC either.
For some reason, many Toyota/Lexus products don't have long enough seat bottoms for my 6'0 build. This is usually something the Germans excel at, especially with those thigh extenders. I would much rather have the seats out of my business partner's new Audi Q5 than my GX460, they are truly excellent.

I'm really trying not to hate on this, but after a few days I have a few more things to comment on.

Japanese build quality, I am not impressed with. The gear shift lever flops around like a fish out of water. The doors close with the sound a 1990 Geo Metro would be embarrassed of. 2,500 miles on this 4R. Who decided to put a third row in this thing? It eats up cargo space and anyone that can fit back there should be in a car seat. The car reports 19 MPG which is hilarious considering I've set the cruise at 59 (speed limit is 55 and cops are pulling people over all over the place). It has a 5 speed auto and needs to downshift to 4th to maintain a speed in the 50's?

I do like auto down on all 5 windows, and the back glass lowering is a huge plus.

G6OuV1A.jpeg

D19lYnG.jpeg

CK6pLEU.jpeg

Cw2BPQq.jpeg

Seems a lot of folks are complaining about the seats.

As many here know, the wife and I had a 2021 4Runner for 3 years and 69,000 miles (we just traded it for an Odyssey out of necessity - our family outgrew it).

We never had a problem with the seats. We found them to be quite comfortable. In fact, the 4Runner has much more leg room than the Odyssey (that's my only complaint with the Odyssey - I'm over 6' and the pedals are too close, even with the seat fully aft).

So I guess, like a lot of things, the seats are very much subject to individual opinion/preference.

We liked the 4Runner a lot. It just felt very solid, and you knew it just wasn't going to break. Like, nothing was ever going to break, LOL!

Needless to say it required zero trips to the dealership in our 3 years of ownership (I took care of all routine maint).

I had only very minor complaints about it, and that's if I was being picky.

The first was fuel economy (obviously, and it's the same complaint I still have with my Tacoma). It's the definition of dismal when you're getting the same economy as vehicles that are FAR larger, heavier, and more powerful (we usually got between 15-18, depending on if my wife or I was driving it).

The powertrain doesn't pack much punch, and isn't very refined, by 2024 standards (or 2014 standards, haha). It's loud. It's buzzy. The engine is rated at 270 HP and 278 FT-LBs, but it feels pretty anemic because the truck is heavy and the engine is tuned more for torque, so it's not the happiest camper when you rev it up.

Other than that, we really liked it.
The seats are rock hard-maybe you and your wife are one of the very few whose anatomy some how doesn't get affect by it. But the fact remains the seats are extremely poor.

The seats are rock hard-maybe you and your wife are one of the very few whose anatomy some how doesn't get affect by it. But the fact remains the seats are extremely poor.

The weird thing is they aren't rock hard on first glance, they have a ton of cheap cushioning that collapses into nothing. It's like the cheapest foam they could get at Jo-Ann Fabrics they stuck in the seat.

Reactions: CKN
The shifter knob screws on, turn it clockwise until it's snug. As for the seats, we like ours fine, but we don't have the cloth.

For some reason, many Toyota/Lexus products don't have long enough seat bottoms for my 6'0 build. This is usually something the Germans excel at, especially with those thigh extenders. I would much rather have the seats out of my business partner's new Audi Q5 than my GX460, they are truly excellent.
Absolutely horrid.
I rented a new Sienna on Turo to check it out and was in awe of how short they are. Measure and they came 2" shorter then wife's Tiguan, almost 4" shorter than BMW with extension.
The same was true with my 2015 Sienna, and the same is true with my 2004 Prado I have in Europe. Not sure how is in 2nd generation Sequoia as those seats look beefy.

The shifter knob screws on, turn it clockwise until it's snug. As for the seats, we like ours fine, but we don't have the cloth.

Japanese build quality. I have to finish putting it together?

Absolutely horrid.
I rented a new Sienna on Turo to check it out and was in awe of how short they are. Measure and they came 2" shorter then wife's Tiguan, almost 4" shorter than BMW with extension.
The same was true with my 2015 Sienna, and the same is true with my 2004 Prado I have in Europe. Not sure how is in 2nd generation Sequoia as those seats look beefy.
I see this in rentals often - the short people revolution is on …
(the struggle is real for six foot plus) …
See the same things in pants/jean selections - but for some reason my inseam has gotten shorter 😷

A lot can be said to defend the 4Runner but they sell a 100k a year for a reason and look at the resale value after 10 years or 100k miles and compare it to pretty much anything else. There is a reason.

Finally, I would never criticize any rental car for things like the shift knob. People do all kinds of horrible things to rentals, including attempting to steal parts - that is why they never have floor mats. So if this happened on a GM or Honda vehicle, or anything else, I would give the benefit of the doubt. And I have rented a lot of cars over the years and have seen some really unbelievable things, in terms of dishonesty or stupidity.

Last edited:
We’re about the same height and that assessment is Spot on. Since we’ve been doing road trips now a few times a year, seat comfort is now a top priority.

Back