Reno Air Races Gone Forever

It looks like this year, (2023), will be the last year for the Reno Air Races. High accident rates, costs, land encroachment, along with declining attendance have basically killed off something that has been around for the last 60 years.

It seems racing in general is dying off, as the up and coming generation shows little, if any interest in it compared to the generations past. NASCAR and Indy Car racing has had declining attendance for quite a few years now.

Both motorcycle sales, as well as attendance at motorcycle races has also been dropping off. Interest in speed and mechanics has been replaced by interest in electronic devices. Sad.

Bummer it was on my bucket list. Maybe they need to rethink their marketing? I'm on the local airport advisory board and we've had alot of the public pushing for another airshow.

When you next go to a classic car show look at the demographics of the car owners and the attendees. I've asked numerous owners why there is a declining interest from younger people and they universally say the same as bilt460.

I suspect insurance rates if not outright availability is a big part of this as well as overall profitability. Not sure about encroachment being a major factor, it is only a few days a year and the area around the circuit is still mostly open. I know a few of the warbird crowd out there and went to many of the races including being there for 2011...used to be a great boys trip; few days hiking the Sierras then offsetting all that healthy living w/ a few days in Reno.

Seeing and listening to Bob Hoover is one of my favorite experiences, as is meeting Hoot Gibson (the pilot, not cowboy) after a win.

The accompanying airshow and especially static displays were good, but through the years those became smaller with the event seemingly focusing more on racing, which may not have helped the draw. Same with the moving the show line post 2011, but the view was still great.

Changing demographics are a big issue for many hobbies including aviation as a whole...GA is withering around here...

I suspect insurance rates if not outright availability is a big part of this as well as overall profitability. Not sure about encroachment being a major factor, it is only a few days a year and the area around the circuit is still mostly open. I know a few of the warbird crowd out there and went to many of the races including being there for 2011...used to be a great boys trip; few days hiking the Sierras then offsetting all that healthy living w/ a few days in Reno.

Seeing and listening to Bob Hoover is one of my favorite experiences, as is meeting Hoot Gibson (the pilot, not cowboy) after a win.

The accompanying airshow and especially static displays were good, but through the years those became smaller with the event seemingly focusing more on racing, which may not have helped the draw. Same with the moving the show line post 2011, but the view was still great.

Changing demographics are a big issue for many hobbies including aviation as a whole...GA is withering around here...

Maybe because GA is so expensive and most don’t have the money for GA hobby.

I work a booth at Hot August Nights every year. Even the attendees joke that it's coming to an end unless we market performance walker and wheelchair accessories.

There are numerous factors for lower interest in mechanical toys. The cost of living relative to income. lower rural population, cant have large toys as a kid if you live in a concrete jungle. cheap electrical manufacturing making new gizmos cheaper and easier to get. fewer two parent households. one parent cant afford to buy large expensive toys. that's just some of the multitude of factors.

There are numerous factors for lower interest in mechanical toys. The cost of living relative to income. lower rural population, cant have large toys as a kid if you live in a concrete jungle. cheap electrical manufacturing making new gizmos cheaper and easier to get. fewer two parent households. one parent cant afford to buy large expensive toys. that's just some of the multitude of factors.
I don't know if I can buy into that. I grew up in the city, and in a one parent apartment. I had a strong interest in both cars and motorcycles. And at 18 years of age I owned one of each. Both new.

But I also had a very strong work ethic. And worked 2 to 3 jobs to be able to afford them. As did many of my friends at the time. I'm not so sure that exists today. It seems to be more about excuse making, and entitlement thinking today.

I've always wanted to see the Reno Air Races, but it certainly is inconvenient to attend when you have to take time off from work, travel 1,000+ miles, pay for lodging, etc. For the average person there isn't enough interest to spend that kind of time and money to attend.

I'm on the local airport advisory board and we've had alot of the public pushing for another airshow.
An air show is one thing, air races have to be another level of organization, safety, permits, liability etc.

Fatalities used to be part of most racing, now it's pretty rare. Pilots don't seem to walk away from mechanical failures much when racing airplanes.

I'm sure the costs now are astronomical. It looks like some of the jets are "cheap" to buy in as I've seen Dehaviland vampires come up for sale in the $150,000 range but the fuel burn is astronomical and I'm sure parts are difficult to source. The L-29 that is allowed in the jet class has two external 79 gallon fuel tanks and two internal tanks that are 270 gallons each. That last 2.5 hours from what rental and websites are saying. That's 270.2 gallons per hour and jet fuel is 7 bucks a gallon. Thats an expensive weekend.

I'm sure the costs now are astronomical. It looks like some of the jets are "cheap" to buy in as I've seen Dehaviland vampires come up for sale in the $150,000 range but the fuel burn is astronomical and I'm sure parts are difficult to source. The L-29 that is allowed in the jet class has two external 79 gallon fuel tanks and two internal tanks that are 270 gallons each. That last 2.5 hours from what rental and websites are saying. That's 270.2 gallons per hour and jet fuel is 7 bucks a gallon. Thats an expensive weekend.
Cost is definitely a factor. And as the fellow mentioned in the video, it is very difficult for many of these air racers, especially the Unlimited guys, to recoup their expenditures. Even if they win, because the top prize winning money won't cover their costs to just show up and run.

That's what I could never understand about these unlimited tractor pulling guys. There never was any real money in that, compared to what some of those tractors cost to build, run, and maintain.

I mean some of those creations have up to 6 fully blown, nitro burning engines in them. Not to mention all custom built transmissions and gearboxes. And they self destruct constantly. They all seemed like a bunch of wealthy farmers, with money to burn just for bragging rights.

I don't know if I can buy into that. I grew up in the city, and in a one parent apartment. I had a strong interest in both cars and motorcycles. And at 18 years of age I owned one of each. Both new.

But I also had a very strong work ethic. And worked 2 to 3 jobs to be able to afford them. As did many of my friends at the time. I'm not so sure that exists today. It seems to be more about excuse making, and entitlement thinking today.
you're the exception, not the rule.

Lots of small race tracks and even drag strips have closed over the years. The spectatorship just isn't what it use to be.

Back