Remy Alternator failure after 1 year (BBB Industries)

Annoyed to report that the Remy Alternator (apparently owned by BBB Industries) I installed on a car failed after only 1 year of service. The alternator charges, but the bearing went out, causing a loud chirp and squeal. This was a brand new unit.

The Remy was purchased off Rock Auto. Pain in the butt to do this job again. I cannot recommend that brand.

Last edited:
Annoyed to report that the Remy Alternator (apparently owned by BBB Industries) I installed on a car failed after only 1 year of service. The alternator charges, but the bearing went out, causing a loud chirp and squeal. This was a brand new unit.

The Remy was purchased off Rock Auto. Pain in the butt to do this job again. I cannot recommend that brand.
Sadly, all the remains that aren’t Bosch or Denso are either Remy/BBB(Borg-Warner bought out Remy International but not aftermarket business) or WAI. I’d buy this the next one at a parts store just for the warranty.

I had to educate my buddy just recently about how NOT to be deceived by brands

He wanted everything AC Delco on his 2014 truck when we did a bunch of work on it. AC Delco means factory parts to the uninitiated, but they're really not. Same goes for Motorcraft / Mopar.

Basically it goes like this -- contract manufacturer for GM/Ford/Stellantis/etc. makes XXXX number of parts for the vehicle-- that covers vehicle assembly line for the model, and whatever said manufacturer expects to need for warranty. Probably a clause in the contract that says they can order more if the need arises for X amount of time.

After 5-10 years, all those parts get transferred to aftermarket companies, basically Chinese / East Asian or mexican clones.

AC Delco slaps their "professional" or "gold" label on them, and sell them for top dollar. Everyone without a brain (or with a brain but lacks time to do research) goes nuts over AC Delco brand and pays the top dollar thinking that's what came on the vehicle. Probably the same for other manufacturers.

Long story short, REMY or any other brand means nothing when the vehicle gets old enough; even the manufacturer will be selling aftermarket parts with their logo on it, or whatever brand gives you the warm and fuzzies. Most reman electrical components (starters and alternators) are shipped to Mexico in bulk, returned with a nice shiny case and minimal work done and sold as Duralast, O'Reilly brand, Advance Auto brand, or even AC Delco!

Last edited:
Most reman electrical components (starters and alternators) are shipped to Mexico in bulk, returned with a nice shiny case and minimal work done and sold as Duralast, O'Reilly brand, Advance Auto brand, or even AC Delco!
I happened to take a gander at the reman electrical at O’Reilly a few weeks ago. Most of it was from Mexico but some was from China or Indonesia.

A while ago on a Subaru a friend owned, I replaced the PS pump. The one that worked was a Chinese reman, also O’Reilly. The Cardone I got from the parts house was DOA.

He wanted everything AC Delco on his 2014 truck when we did a bunch of work on it. AC Delco means factory parts to the uninitiated, but they're really not. Same goes for Motorcraft / Mopar.

Basically it goes like this -- contract manufacturer for GM/Ford/Stellantis/etc. makes XXXX number of parts for the vehicle-- that covers vehicle assembly line for the model, and whatever said manufacturer expects to need for warranty. Probably a clause in the contract that says they can order more if the need arises for X amount of time.

After 5-10 years, all those parts get transferred to aftermarket companies, basically Chinese / East Asian or mexican clones.

AC Delco slaps their "professional" or "gold" label on them, and sell them for top dollar. Everyone without a brain (or with a brain but lacks time to do research) goes nuts over AC Delco brand and pays the top dollar thinking that's what came on the vehicle. Probably the same for other manufacturers.

Long story short, REMY or any other brand means nothing when the vehicle gets old enough; even the manufacturer will be selling aftermarket parts with their logo on it, or whatever brand gives you the warm and fuzzies. Most reman electrical components (starters and alternators) are shipped to Mexico in bulk, returned with a nice shiny case and minimal work done and sold as Duralast, O'Reilly brand, Advance Auto brand, or even AC Delco!

The sad part is quite often the assembly parts are junk too now.

I agree it's an inconvenience but every alternator I've taken apart has been straightforward. I'd order a quality (Nachi/VXB) bearing and drop it in.

Honestly the odds of a different reman from the usual suspects being any better is slim. It's Iike buying a used car: you get mad at the first one because a wheel bearing went out so you trade it for a different one with a NEW set of issues and the fuel pump dies.

Consider this a shakedown run - you found the one major weakness (hopefully!)

Are you buying a Denso or Bosch next. That is parts my relatively inexpensive Indy will use.

Update,

I appreciate the suggestions of ordering a quality bearing, or buying a Bosch or Denso unit, but my son needs the car back on the road ASAP. No new Bosch or Denso available locally or even on Rockauto.

So I had to buy a new Alternator last night from O'Reilly's. Branded as Ultima. Fingers crossed. Looks identical to the Remy unit.

I think O'Reilly even uses the BBB/Remy part numbers for their Ultima house brand....?

As someone who works in supply chain for auto and heavy equipment, I want to add my .2 and agree with you on the repackaging. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Man, China is inescapable.

We'll see how it goes. The terrible quality parts they use is not confidence inspiring.
Actually I dug into a couple listings and I'm incorrect. It's AutoZone that often clearly uses Remy part numbers for their Duralast stuff.

Doesn't mean the Ultima isn’t also Remy, but there's no telling -- at least with my cursory mediocre web sleuthing

Actually I dug into a couple listings and I'm incorrect. It's AutoZone that often clearly uses Remy part numbers for their Duralast stuff.

Doesn't mean the Ultima isn’t also Remy, but there's no telling -- at least with my cursory mediocre web sleuthing
I replaced an alternator on my 1997 Lexus with a "Lifetime " Autozone (DuraLast) alternator. I was experiencing failures every few months with their alternators. Some didn't work new out of the box and they said it was something wrong with my car. Finally, I went in to exchange one and had them test the new one before I left the store and it failed. They gave me a refund and I bought a rebuilt Denso. It has lasted five years so far.

When I did AC many times a customer would want a compressor bought from the gm or Ford dealer. No amount of talking would change their mind. They were determined to spend 3x more for the same part just because it had motorcraft or a GM name on the box.

I replaced an alternator on my 1997 Lexus with a "Lifetime " Autozone (DuraLast) alternator. I was experiencing failures every few months with their alternators. Some didn't work new out of the box and they said it was something wrong with my car. Finally, I went in to exchange one and had them test the new one before I left the store and it failed. They gave me a refund and I bought a rebuilt Denso. It has lasted five years so far.
I honestly don't know how the reman industry works so I may just be perpetuating internet lore but I'm inclined to believe that they often do just replace that which appears to need replacement.

One would hope that doesn't include bearings but I again wouldn't be surprised if they just said, "Eh, feels pretty smooth" and left existing bearings unless obviously crunchy.

If you're truly paid by the piece and leaving bearings saves ~5 minutes and $1 (I'm assuming they're buying Chinese bearings at huge volume discounts), it adds up over the course of a shift.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic.....

It wasn’t possible in OP’s case but for alternators and starters, I have found a local shop that specializes in quality parts and rebuilds of alternators and starters.

I’ve had them do same day work in a couple of instances and it’s always nice work and lasts forever. If it’s the weekend, though, that’s a different scenario.

Back