which alternator brand TYC, REMY, Wai Global? any of these good?

mazda3lover

It’s a crapshoot either way. Remy(Borg-Warner) bought out a competitor recently or so I think(BBB) and I had a ACDelco reman go bad on me. The TYC is Chinese or Taiwanese new which might be better than Mexican reman.

go with the one with the better warranty.

yeah i guess reman is a crap shoot cuz they only change the item that went wrong, who knows how many miles of wear the bearing and other not broken parts have. in this case im staying with new for sure!
probably Ac Delco just because atleast i am promised quality and a big name but Remy is also tempting at 1.5x lower price ahah

No problem, please dont take me the wrong way.

I am not so concerned about Mexico, lots of companies have opened plants there and are totally legit,...

1) I didn't take you the wrong way. I was imprecise in my post - I didn't mean to imply Bosch "GMBH" was sloppy, just that because the casing is Bosh, not to trust it on that. I see "rebuilt Bosch" that is not from them. I try to be precise in language and I was not there. Getting called on that is always fair game.

2) I don't on spec hate all things Mexican; Indeed have met wonderful people there - and in the US - a lot. I have noticed a trend of rapidly failing alternators rebuilt there - someone has a mill for it - didn't mean to tar a whole country. The issue isn't "Mexican" specific, it's supplier quality control. Fair to be called on exactly what I meant when I was typing tired and not carefully.

Cheers!

TYC has been a decent brand lately in my experience installing several of their lights, radiator fans, radiators, condensors, starters and alternators. I usually only offer TYC to my budget concious customers - but to date - they have been good parts. I have no issues with a TYC alternator - it is all NEW not rebuilt and lifetime warranty.

It’s a crapshoot either way. Remy(Borg-Warner) bought out a competitor recently or so I think(BBB) and I had a ACDelco reman go bad on me. The TYC is Chinese or Taiwanese new which might be better than Mexican reman.

go with the one with the better warranty.
Just as an FYI, BBB Industries purchased "...the equity interests of the Remy North American rotating electric business..." as reported in Counterman on January 29, 2019. https://www.counterman.com/bbb-indu...ts-north-american-rotating-electric-business/

Whether or not that means the manufacturing assets I do not know or if it just the name. One thing I do know is that the Remy branded alternators and starters no longer have a limited lifetime warranty; it's now 1 year with unlimited mileage for remanufactured units, and 2 years with unlimited mileage for new units.

Mazda3lover, if you have any mechanical aptitude at all you can easily rebuild an alternator.

You should replace the bearings and brushes and it will be good to go for many years. You will need to insert some small metal rods to hold the brushes up while you put it back together. Long thin nails or other long skinny metal will work. They really are very easy to take apart and put back together. Your will need something to tap out the old bearings and put the new ones in. A socket that is the size of the bearings will work to tap it in.

Look at it this way. The brushes and bearing will be very low cost, and if you really can not get it back together and working, you can still use it as the core for buying one.
I would want to know if the bearings are bad or at least know the mileage before making that determination. IMO if it only needs brushes, just replace those and go with it. A bearing replacement would be not something I would recommend for a beginner who is going to need help just doing brushes.

Hello, I will need a new alternator soon enough for my mazda 3, and looking at rockauto for the new ones I can choose from these brands in around the same price range. are any of these brands decent or is it random china garbage and testing your luck? I am in Canada, so dealing with the core return for a reman/rebuilt alternator won't really work for me since I would probably have to pay $40-45 to ship the core to the states, however ill still include the options. Rockauto says they give discounted return labels but I feel like thats only for the states. **i live in a smaller canadian city so no alt rebuilders here**

I just returned a PS Pump core to Rock Auto. They gave me a shipping label that Fedex accepted and Rock Auto will be deducting $25 from the core return rebate.

So I was looking for an alternator for a late 1970s Ford 300 straight six engine. They are roughly $30 for reman. Various manufacturers. Maybe the demand is so low the bottom fell out of the market for alternators for this old an engine.