which alternator brand TYC, REMY, Wai Global? any of these good?

It’s a crapshoot either way. Remy(Borg-Warner) bought out a competitor recently or so I think(BBB) and I had a ACDelco reman go bad on me. The TYC is Chinese or Taiwanese new which might be better than Mexican reman.

go with the one with the better warranty.

yeah i guess reman is a crap shoot cuz they only change the item that went wrong, who knows how many miles of wear the bearing and other not broken parts have. in this case im staying with new for sure!
probably Ac Delco just because atleast i am promised quality and a big name but Remy is also tempting at 1.5x lower price ahah

No problem, please dont take me the wrong way.

I am not so concerned about Mexico, lots of companies have opened plants there and are totally legit,...

1) I didn't take you the wrong way. I was imprecise in my post - I didn't mean to imply Bosch "GMBH" was sloppy, just that because the casing is Bosh, not to trust it on that. I see "rebuilt Bosch" that is not from them. I try to be precise in language and I was not there. Getting called on that is always fair game.

2) I don't on spec hate all things Mexican; Indeed have met wonderful people there - and in the US - a lot. I have noticed a trend of rapidly failing alternators rebuilt there - someone has a mill for it - didn't mean to tar a whole country. The issue isn't "Mexican" specific, it's supplier quality control. Fair to be called on exactly what I meant when I was typing tired and not carefully.

Cheers!

TYC has been a decent brand lately in my experience installing several of their lights, radiator fans, radiators, condensors, starters and alternators. I usually only offer TYC to my budget concious customers - but to date - they have been good parts. I have no issues with a TYC alternator - it is all NEW not rebuilt and lifetime warranty.

It’s a crapshoot either way. Remy(Borg-Warner) bought out a competitor recently or so I think(BBB) and I had a ACDelco reman go bad on me. The TYC is Chinese or Taiwanese new which might be better than Mexican reman.

go with the one with the better warranty.
Just as an FYI, BBB Industries purchased "...the equity interests of the Remy North American rotating electric business..." as reported in Counterman on January 29, 2019. https://www.counterman.com/bbb-indu...ts-north-american-rotating-electric-business/

Whether or not that means the manufacturing assets I do not know or if it just the name. One thing I do know is that the Remy branded alternators and starters no longer have a limited lifetime warranty; it's now 1 year with unlimited mileage for remanufactured units, and 2 years with unlimited mileage for new units.

Mazda3lover, if you have any mechanical aptitude at all you can easily rebuild an alternator.

You should replace the bearings and brushes and it will be good to go for many years. You will need to insert some small metal rods to hold the brushes up while you put it back together. Long thin nails or other long skinny metal will work. They really are very easy to take apart and put back together. Your will need something to tap out the old bearings and put the new ones in. A socket that is the size of the bearings will work to tap it in.

Look at it this way. The brushes and bearing will be very low cost, and if you really can not get it back together and working, you can still use it as the core for buying one.
I would want to know if the bearings are bad or at least know the mileage before making that determination. IMO if it only needs brushes, just replace those and go with it. A bearing replacement would be not something I would recommend for a beginner who is going to need help just doing brushes.

Hello, I will need a new alternator soon enough for my mazda 3, and looking at rockauto for the new ones I can choose from these brands in around the same price range. are any of these brands decent or is it random china garbage and testing your luck? I am in Canada, so dealing with the core return for a reman/rebuilt alternator won't really work for me since I would probably have to pay $40-45 to ship the core to the states, however ill still include the options. Rockauto says they give discounted return labels but I feel like thats only for the states. **i live in a smaller canadian city so no alt rebuilders here**

I just returned a PS Pump core to Rock Auto. They gave me a shipping label that Fedex accepted and Rock Auto will be deducting $25 from the core return rebate.

If its a Denso reman leave it in the store, they are sketchy with their rebuilding process.
What exactly is sketchy about their rebuilds? I more than likely need to replace my alternator in my 08 silverado 1500 and a re-manufactured Denso is one of the main ones I am considering because they are used as the OE alternator by so many OEMs.

My experience with the TYC has been very favorable. I started using them 2 years ago due to #1 - they are NEW not rebuilt and #2 the price was unbeatable. I have had REMY, AC DELCO and Autozone rebuilds fail but never a TYC yet. I always explain the options to my customers and they almost always agree to a NEW TYC with LT warranty. I was very suspicious with TYC at 1st based on COE and cost so I installed the 1st one on my truck as a trial. That was over 2 years ago so it is lasting fine. I have also used TYC starters with no issue. I like that they include a performance printout in the box showing not only that the part passed but what the specs were.

My experience with the TYC has been very favorable. I started using them 2 years ago due to #1 - they are NEW not rebuilt and #2 the price was unbeatable. I have had REMY, AC DELCO and Autozone rebuilds fail but never a TYC yet. I always explain the options to my customers and they almost always agree to a NEW TYC with LT warranty. I was very suspicious with TYC at 1st based on COE and cost so I installed the 1st one on my truck as a trial. That was over 2 years ago so it is lasting fine. I have also used TYC starters with no issue. I like that they include a performance printout in the box showing not only that the part passed but what the specs were.
Now I'll sound like a commercial.. lol.. I have a TYC Alternator on my 96 Civic, installed it back in 2013, been working well ever since. Wow that was 9 years already! The test printout showed it actually puts out my amps at lower rpm's than the stock unit ever did! Which means the battery is staying charged a lot longer, getting more life out of the battery. Mine was made in Taiwan and I think the new ones are China. But GMBoy showed looks like that doesn't matter.

I do like what Trav reported on with the Bosch reman's, that would be my next choice based on what he has reported.

I will say that I have a couple of TYC parts, hvac blower fan, a/c condenser fan, headlights (capa/nsf certified version) and the alternator. All have been very good parts, and the alternator has a lifetime warranty. Guess if this alternator dies I'll see how TYC will warranty it out!

No problem, please dont take me the wrong way. I mean if Bosch has gone down the dark road of outsourcing to third rate outfits like so many others have then it is good to know and avoid them.
I am not so concerned about Mexico, lots of companies have opened plants there and are totally legit, I have a feeling in the not too distant future we will see a dramatic increase in this also.
I was following your glowing review and opinion of Bosch on the other thread, but I've had not good luck with Bosch. Everything from garbage Platinum+4 gimmick plugs, L-Jetronic fuel injection issues on early 80s BMWs (?? Maybe maybe not. Still. Bosch,) to ultra high priced and finicky MAFs that may or may not be OE, I get different information depends on who I ask, on Japanese name makes. Even their name on a battery, I question value (Exide. Makes many name batteries.)

I want to like Bosch but last time I chose Delphi..

COE?

Not sure if this was suggested...low mileage junk yard pull? Car-Part.com etc.
Used OE. I didn't want to be the first to recommend or say.

They usually offer no warranty on electrical parts, so you don't 100% know how it was acting when it was pulled.. still, if price is low enough and you can get it tested, maybe you'll come out ahead.

I would want to know if the bearings are bad or at least know the mileage before making that determination. IMO if it only needs brushes, just replace those and go with it. A bearing replacement would be not something I would recommend for a beginner who is going to need help just doing brushes.
Yes! I got an alternator from Advance Auto for my 2002 Alero, had to install it on the road, jumped the car, got it home, Battery dead.
Charged and tested battery= good. Test Charging system, = No Good!
Took the POS back to Advance, got bearings and brushes from Ebay, replaced bearings and brushes= all good!

Used OE. I didn't want to be the first to recommend or say.

They usually offer no warranty on electrical parts, so you don't 100% know how it was acting when it was pulled.. still, if price is low enough and you can get it tested, maybe you'll come out ahead.
JY's around here usually give 30 days. LKQ gives 1 year replacement.
If you are in the Ohio Valley, see ASAP Auto16th street in Wheeling.
Talk to Larry. His reman guy is good!

Back