Removing white sunscreen stains from plastic?

The exterior plastic cladding on the Crosstrek has some white stains which I'm pretty sure is from sunscreen. So far I've tried rubbing alcohol, but it did not help. What else can I try to clean it with?

What kind of sunscreen is suspected. Most chemical sunscreens aren't that bad, but it's the base that might cause certain problems with staining or possibly even permanent damage.

I remember some sunscreens had a silicone emulsifier which I believe had a tendency to weaken polystyrene. There was a company called Ocean Potion that had this sunscreen that was inexpensive and non-sticky, but probably used silicone. I remember accidentally getting it on ABS plastics and it would leave a permanent mark. I also remember a Neutrogena spray sunscreen that originally came with a polystyrene cap. Mine started just getting warped as the sunscreen residue ate through it. I think later versions came with a polypropylene cap instead.

Deet will f up plastic permanently.
Perhaps bug repellant is the culprit.
My new PWC with black plastic seats has stains that will not come out.
It's as if they are melted.

As demonstrated with a plastic cup, DEET can melt plastic because it is a member of the tolune chemical categories, and these chemicals are solvents meaning they melt things, basically. What's important to remember here is that you should be careful when applying DEET in relation to what's around you.Sep 15, 2017

Deet will f up plastic permanently.
Perhaps bug repellant is the culprit.
My new PWC with black plastic seats has stains that will not come out.
It's as if they are melted.

As demonstrated with a plastic cup, DEET can melt plastic because it is a member of the tolune chemical categories, and these chemicals are solvents meaning they melt things, basically. What's important to remember here is that you should be careful when applying DEET in relation to what's around you.Sep 15, 2017

Depends on the plastic. The primary plastic used in clothing that DEET will dissolve is polyester. It will also dissolve vinyl. However, nylon isn't affected by DEET.

I do have the feeling that these "stains" seen may very well be permanent damage regardless of the source.

My wife and SIL anointed my QX60 interior seats and rear bumper with SPF50. I used brake clean, then scratch remover on the black of the rear bumper and Griots Garage interior cleaner on the leather. In certain lights the stains still show, Good argument for not owning guns.

I just made some paste from water and baking soda and rubbed it into the stain with a soft sponge. Seems to have helped.

Back