Remote Transmission Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I’ve been thinking of adding a remote transmission filter to my Jeep. Once out of the cooler, run it through the filter and back to the transmission. What do you guys think? I’d probably use a Fram Ultra and change it after 4-5 years. I’m keeping the Jeep forever.

Something like this, maybe not exact though:

Amazon LINK

I would think a filter with a lower bypass pressure would be best but I would check with an expert on this sort of thing, the last thing you need is starve your transmission or create too much back pressure.

Couple of Y barbs and make it a bypass. It will reduce the amount of atf going through the filter yes, but will not alter the flow of atf back to the pan. The interval is not necessary with this type setup either, just touch the filter. If it is fully clogged it will stay cold. And even a wix xp is heaps better efficiency than the 60 micron atf filter.

Last edited:
Had one on my old Tacoma. Used a Mobil One filter with a filter mag. Did great but took it out after 6 years of use.

Originally Posted By: Donald
A Magnefine for under $20 will be fine.

+1

I've had a Magnefine on mine for about 50k miles. I plan on changing it in about 10k miles with another one. It was very easy to install on the return cooler line, and the transmission fluid is bright pink.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Couple of Y barbs and make it a bypass. It will reduce the amount of atf going through the filter yes, but will not alter the flow of atf back to the pan. The interval is not necessary with this type setup either, just touch the filter. If it is fully clogged it will stay cold. And even a wix xp is heaps better efficiency than the 60 micron atf filter.

That sounds like a great idea. I have to think about it a bit.

I had one on my 2009 f150. Used an XG8a filter. It was between the radiator and external cooler. Worked when the 6R80’s thermostat opened at about 170f. You could feel the hot fluid rush through the filter when it opened.

I have them on both cars in the sig, 3614 size in the Maxima (due to lack of space) and 3600 size in the Corolla.
If going the inline route, mount it before the cooler, the ATF will have higher temps and less viscosity and flow better through the filter; and you'll pressurize the cooler less and reduce the chance of leakage at the hose connections.
Another piece of advice is to go for the filter mount that takes 3/8" or 1/4" NPT fittings and not the 1/2" NPT, you'll have an easier time finding fittings.

Wouldn't this reduce the effectiveness of the cooling though?
If it was an external air cooler - sure, but the radiator heat exchanger will not cool bellow the coolant temperature (180F-195F or whatever).

Originally Posted By: zorobabel

If it was an external air cooler - sure, but the radiator heat exchanger will not cool bellow the coolant temperature (180F-195F or whatever).

I would put it in the return line post cooler.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would think a filter with a lower bypass pressure would be best but I would check with an expert on this sort of thing, the last thing you need is starve your transmission or create too much back pressure.

It will pretty much never, ever, ever, ever happen.

The flow rate is too small (compared to an engine)
and since there is really very, very little to no contamination,
the filter will NEVER "sludge over" or "blank off" from too much debris on the surface.

It takes a typical "XG-8A" size and turns it into a "lifetime of the car" filter application.

Here is one of the BETTER filter bases that brings it's own saftey by-pass into the works. It is sold for trucks but can fit on ANYTHING. I myself went with a Donaldson filter a step down in micron rating then the Hastings they provide. I wanted the better flowing synthetic media and the reduced micron rating.

http://www.dieselsite.com/transmissionfiltration.aspx

You also have the TransProtector to look at too. It is only available here since he was the main tester and has full selling rights to the retail public from NTF Filters

http://www.ntf-filter.com/transprotector.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkEqdeFjqXE

Nothing is affected, it is just a line -------. You would bypass the filter itself, not any components. It can be placed before or after the cooler, before would increase the flow to the cooler ( hotter oil passes easier), but I prefer after for the amount of room available (dodge ram anyway)

I have run a Derale mount and XG16 filters for four years … change yearly along with 4 quarts Dex VI from B&M drain plug.
20 minutes to do both. Clean and easy
I put behind a Tru Cool LPD …

Nothing is affected, it is just a line -------. You would bypass the filter itself, not any components. It can be placed before or after the cooler, before would increase the flow to the cooler ( hotter oil passes easier), but I prefer after for the amount of room available (dodge ram anyway)

I see what you mean - nothing affected, I agree. I was thinking of the cooler and filter as the 2 branches.

what I've read has been never go lower than 20 microns are the filter could collect some of the good properties of the fluid. micro fine filters have a 3-4 lb bypass normal oil filters have a 8-14 lb bypass is this to much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back