Remote oil filter and Bypass filter routing

Hello,

I have a 2009 Chevy Colorado with a 2.9 4 cylinder. I am wanting to install a Remote oil filter and Bypass filter (note, they are separate head units) and want the best way to route the oil lines. My thought is to install the remote oil filter like normal, then I would add a "T" on the discharge line from the filter. I would then run that line to the Bypass filter, but I am not sure where to return the clean oil too? I know that a lot of set ups use the oil cap as a return port. I am OK with this set up, but wanted to ask if there is a better set up for the return line.
If this has been covered before, my apology, I could not find any info about this kind of set up. If there is any kind of pictures, diagrams or video I would love to see how someone else set theirs up.
Thank you in advance,
Joe

Why? What? I don't understand your question?
Why am I wanting to relocate the oil filter and also adding a Bypass filter? Because Chevy decided to locate the filter right over the "K" member and when you change the filter, it runs down into a cup they welded to the "K" and its a pain to clean up. So if I am going to add the Bypass filter why not move both and have them side by side and make the oil change easier for me. That's why.
Now, please tell me the best way to install this system.

My 2 cents worth are the full flow should be left as is because you probably don’t want oil going far away and coming back to the main bearing oil gallery? Maybe you are proposing something different. Back in time when Frantz filters were popular they supplied a center point tool to make a hole in the oil pan. If the pan is sheet steel it can be done this way. They provided the tapered fitting to go into the punched hole. I think they still do this today, but since pans can be cast aluminum it won’t work on those. Much easier to do the cap return. The way the Frantz was added was to use an adapter that kept the full flow and had a port to go to the bypass. Or go bypass off the oil sender supply line with a T fitting.

I really like having the return line for my bypass filter in the filler cap. It makes taking oil samples really easy, and I can also easily see the flow rate, which gives me an idea of how loaded the filter is getting.

Sorry for the late response but I understand want the remote filter.

Hello,

I have a 2009 Chevy Colorado with a 2.9 4 cylinder. I am wanting to install a Remote oil filter and Bypass filter (note, they are separate head units) and want the best way to route the oil lines. My thought is to install the remote oil filter like normal, then I would add a "T" on the discharge line from the filter. I would then run that line to the Bypass filter, but I am not sure where to return the clean oil too? I know that a lot of set ups use the oil cap as a return port. I am OK with this set up, but wanted to ask if there is a better set up for the return line.
If this has been covered before, my apology, I could not find any info about this kind of set up. If there is any kind of pictures, diagrams or video I would love to see how someone else set theirs up.
Thank you in advance,
Joe
OK, I get it. I'm running bypass filtration with the oil cap as a return line location. Can you think of a better spot? (No sarcasm intended). Full disclosure: I'm actually running two bypass filters. One returns to the crankcase via fitting on the oil cap. The other one returns by gravity drain to a fitting I welded onto the oil pan. I can post pictures if you want, but yours would be completely different because of different engine/different car, etc.
I don't know of any diagrams or video other than principles since every vehicle is unique. https://www.amsoil.com/bypass/how-it-works.aspx

Hello,

Thank you in advance,
Joe

Doc Joe
Do you have room to mount a dual Bypass System on your Truck?
I'm unfamiliar with how your engine is configured under the Hood.
The spin on adapter for the dual Bypass System don't require a lot of room.

Back