Rejuvenating old hoses

Man, and I thought my grandfather, who was a child of the depression, could cobble things together.

“Soft and mushy” is what’s happening here. When rubber gets old the molecules start cross-linking and it gets harder. When it’s “rejuvenated”, you’re making it mushy but since you’re starting with a degraded material it appears better. You can never reverse the cross-linking but you can make it act pliable, at least for a while.
Yes the lacquer thinner softens them up and the carbon comes out. If you take it out and let it dry then they become brittle. If you soak it in the Rislone I'm using then they stay soft and supple.

Because Ford quit making gaskets and hoses and other parts (cams) for the V8 SHO engine. Before it was even done with it's production run. The engine would spin the cams when the swedged sprockets failed and all the parts got used up with either Ford or others doing repairs.

No OEM or aftermarket manufacturer ever painted an MLS head gasket. Sometimes the coating is Viton, sometimes it is a proprietary high-temperature material. But it's not paint.

If you read the instruction and descriptions that sounds like what I am doing. They use a solvent and a oil. Solvent softens and extracts the carbon and the oil keeps it supple.
You're not extracting the carbon black from the elastomer, that is impossible. The chemical complexes adsorbed onto the carbon black particle surfaces actively bond to the rubber.

No OEM or aftermarket manufacturer ever painted an MLS head gasket. Sometimes the coating is Viton, sometimes it is a proprietary high-temperature material. But it's not paint.
Well that sucks then. Though all the other metal gaskets were painted. Good thing I got 50K miles out of the engine. Sold it and it's still in use as far as I know. Must be my excellent assembly skills. I reused the torque to yield bolts too on the heads.

You're not extracting the carbon black from the elastomer, that is impossible. The chemical complexes adsorbed onto the carbon black particle surfaces actively bond to the rubber.
What turns the thinner black? Why does it soften it up? How can I keep using these ruined hoses and gaskets?

What turns the thinner black? Why does it soften it up?
Dirt? Oil? No real clue, but it isn't the carbon black from the rubber matrix. Why would you want to remove that anyway? Carbon black in rubber dramatically increases the performance of the elastomer, that's why it is there.

If you read the instruction and descriptions that sounds like what I am doing. They use a solvent and a oil. Solvent softens and extracts the carbon and the oil keeps it supple.

Presumably this product uses solvents and oils that have been tested for their long-term effect on rubber.

One such product I had uses d-limonene. It worked for the purpose of making paper pickup rollers work better.

Dirt? Oil? No real clue, but it isn't the carbon black from the rubber matrix. Why would you want to remove that anyway? Carbon black in rubber dramatically increases the performance of the elastomer, that's why it is there.
Well when the hose goes in it's hard and not flexible, the thinner is clear. Soaking for whatever time it takes turns the thinner black and the hose becomes supple. If you do not immediately put the soften hose in oil then it turns hard again.

So after brainstorming I decided to try some High Mileage oil with 5% thinner for the soak.

Back