Rejuvenating old hoses

I've had really good luck rejuvenating old hardened hoses that are exposed to oil. PCV hoses and such. Gaskets and any other synthetic rubber parts that have been hardened over time from engine use. As long as they are not compromised with cracks.

I soak in lacquer thinner for a while until they become pliable then soak in Rislone for 24 hrs. You can see the thinner darken as it pulls out the carbon black. Time varies for a few minutes to hours so you have to keep testing pliability and over shoot a bit.

If you don't soak in oil afterwards the thinner just evaporates from the rubber and it is not near as pliable as new. Just doing this on a 23 year old mower PCV hose.

I use Rislone to soak it in. I don't know why. It's the same two quarts I've had for decades.

Would some other product be better for the oil soak?

This post should be moved to the, "You've Got to be Kidding" Forum.

Actually, if your 'hose revival' method works it could be an invaluable tool for restoration projects (for which parts are unobtainable).
It sure isn't 'time efficient'.

Also, I bet, after a hydrocarbon leaching step, any such attempt at infusing such chemicals would result in short-lived results.

Last edited:
PCV hoses usually not under pressure and gaskets.

Rebuilt my V8 SHO short block with all used gaskets, head gaskets included.

head gaskets included.
Now that comes as a surprise. I'd assume 99/100 head gaskets have formed sheet metal in them.
Don't get me wrong. If it works for your situations....AA+!

I restore (flatten out) my metal drain plug gaskets by rubbing them on sintered diamond & brass metal workers' belt. A pal retrieves scrap from discarded, shredded belts.
Apparently, stocking the small range of sizes of gasket is not on any parts shop's 'must do' list.
Obviously this doesn't apply to Subaru style folded metal gaskets.

Now that comes as a surprise. I'd assume 99/100 head gaskets have formed sheet metal in them.
Don't get me wrong. If it works for your situations....AA+!

I restore (flatten out) my metal drain plug gaskets by rubbing them on sintered diamond & brass metal workers' belt. A pal retrieves scrap from discarded, shredded belts.
Apparently, stocking the small range of sizes of gasket is not on any parts shop's 'must do' list.
Obviously this doesn't apply to Subaru style folded metal gaskets.
The head gaskets and stamped multilayer metal gaskets I use cheap spray paint and apply wet.

I have tons of free time but this just isn't something I would care to do . But , if it works for you ...

Would some other product be better for the oil soak?
Oil deteriorates rubber. Would never deliberately soak hoses in oil. Had 2017 Chevy where the trans cooler leaked into the radiator. All the coolant hoses became soft and mushy in a few days. Modern rubber parts these days last a long time unless exposed to oil. The radiator hoses in my '91 Grand Am look original. Replacements are easily available and cheap.

If the hose can be replaced with standard bulk hose, I don't see the point. If it's an *important* hose (failure causes danger, hardship, or equipment damage) I also wouldn't depend on rejuvenating an old hose.

Otherwise, I'd dress the hose with dielectric grease before it got that hardened, or once hardened, try some AT-205 Re-Seal but only applied to the outside, no taking it off to soak in anything. IMO, once a hose has hardened, the easiest way to damage it is try to take it off.

Occasionally I've been able to salvage vac line rubber boots/fittings with sensor safe (non-acid cure) RTV but it's usually with the plan to replace the boot later.

There are many different types of rubber out there . I found that out the first time I went to a supply house to get some " rubber " gasket material . Some materials can hold up to an oil soak and some will become useless in time .

Oil deteriorates rubber. Would never deliberately soak hoses in oil. Had 2017 Chevy where the trans cooler leaked into the radiator. All the coolant hoses became soft and mushy in a few days. Modern rubber parts these days last a long time unless exposed to oil. The radiator hoses in my '91 Grand Am look original. Replacements are easily available and cheap.
“Soft and mushy” is what’s happening here. When rubber gets old the molecules start cross-linking and it gets harder. When it’s “rejuvenated”, you’re making it mushy but since you’re starting with a degraded material it appears better. You can never reverse the cross-linking but you can make it act pliable, at least for a while.

Back