RejeX polymer sealant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: harry j
I use the spot free rinse at the local car wash to carefully wash down the engine, no drying required.

The keyword is "carefully." Personally, I'm too afraid of "hosing up" the electrical connections (pun intended).

If one uses Eagle One all wheel cleaner, would that not strip off the Rejex? So, if you use Rejex on your wheels, then a water rinse is the only recommended cleaning method to remove brake dust and road grime?

Bret, what about using a clay bar, then a pre-wax cleaner/conditioner, THEN using Rejex? Will it work?

And last, Rejex versus Insulator Wax for durability and shine? And the winner is..........?

Originally Posted By: dkryan

If one uses Eagle One all wheel cleaner, would that not strip off the Rejex? So, if you use Rejex on your wheels, then a water rinse is the only recommended cleaning method to remove brake dust and road grime?

Bret, what about using a clay bar, then a pre-wax cleaner/conditioner, THEN using Rejex? Will it work?

And last, Rejex versus Insulator Wax for durability and shine? And the winner is..........?

Any wheel cleaner will certainly erode some of the sealant protecting the wheels, if not remove it completely. Impossible to know how much it will remove or how many times you can use a wheel cleaner before all the protectant is gone, but assume at least some sealant is being removed by the cleaner.

Sure, the combo of clay, pre wax cleaner, and Rejex will work fine. If the cleaner fills in some swirls or adds gloss to the paint like a glaze does, at least wash the car before applying Rejex or any polymer sealant to ensure a strong bond and max durability.

IMO, having used Rejex and Collinite side by side, I think Rejex outshines and outlasts any wax regardless of who makes it or what claims they make.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
A polymer sealant like Rejex will not bond properly if a wax is on the paint. You will need to strip off the wax before applying more Rejex, or any sealant.

Wax on top of sealant? OK, but you can only top off with more wax.

Sealant on top of wax? No can do if you want max durability.

This is basically correct. One small clarification... It's not that RejeX won't stick to wax -- it does. What happens is that wax is a much softer and less durable material than RejeX. So even though RejeX will protect the wax and increase its longevity, eventually the wax is going to break down. And when it washes away, so will the RejeX (because it's bonded to the wax, not to the paint). So for maximum longevity, it's best to put RejeX directly onto the paint, metal, plexi, or whatever you're trying to protect.

If you put a wax on top of RejeX, it's ultimately self defeating for a number of reasons. Take your pick:
1) If the wax contains polishing agents, like many paste waxes do, it may strip RejeX.
2) If the wax doesn't contain polishing agents, it's unlikely that the wax will be able to stick, and will probably just wash off.
3) Wax is duller than RejeX, so wax on top of RejeX will just dull your shine.
4) Wax is comparably very soft and porous. So stains like bug guts, tree sap, bird poop, brake dust, diesel soot, and all the rest will embed into it. So even though your paint is protected by the underlying RejeX layer, the contaminants will embed in a wax topcoat, so your vehicle will be more difficult to clean.

RULE OF THUMB: RejeX instead of wax. If you need a good cleaner, we've just come out with a product called Xtreme Clean. It should be on the Rejex Website by end-of-day today. Please feel free to email anytime if you have any questions or comments:

Edit: Direct links to non-sponsor website removed.

RejeX said:
RULE OF THUMB: RejeX instead of wax. If you need a good cleaner, we've just come out with a product called Xtreme Clean. It should be on the Rejex Website by end-of-day today. Please feel free to email anytime if you have any questions or comments:

I don't see Xtreme Clean listed on your website. I believe it is orderable as part of a package deal, but separate product info seems to elude me.

Thanks, TTK.

I guess I got so excited about the 5 gallon handi-sprayer that I scrolled right past that gallon container of Xtreme Clean!

It's love bug season again, but I don't care. The RejeX makes
cleanup a breeze, the ones that don't fall off themselves are easily taken care of by a good stream of water. The most stubborn ones are removed with a swipe of a sponge. This stuff is the real deal.

Today's detail was one of the rare instances I would use Rejex over Zaino. I had to detail a car in the direct sun (90*F temps..... yaaaay!). Rejex can be applied onto a hot surface and will wipe off without smearing or streaking. Zaino gets temperamental in the hot sun, as does almost everything else. Rejex worked just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dkryan
Bret,

Do you believe Zaino really lasts longer than Rejex?

Based on my informal tests, yes it does. Not by much, though.

I tested them side-by-side on the hood of my truck a couple years ago. When first applied, both products looked great and performed similarly. It wasn't after 3-4 months that Rejex started to fall off in looks and performance (water beading, ease of cleaning, etc).

From my view, Rejex isn't a bad product. It's just kinda old skool. It's like an old generation of Zaino or other polymer sealant. Zaino's current products are much more sophisticated and modern. I do not believe there is a more cutting-edge car care product line on the market than Zaino.

Sometimes an older tech product works better in certain circumstances. When I want to use a sealant applied in the direct sun, Rejex performs better than Zaino. That's why I have it on hand; it does the job I need it to do when I need it done. It's just another tool in the tool box, nothing more than that.

Hey Bretfraz, I might have asked this before, I don't remember, sorry.

I used Rejex, then about 6 months later went over it with a good wax. I want to apply Rejex again, they want it applied over itself or with wax stripped. Will washing with dish soap, and a wax remover a detail shop sold me be enough? The vehicle is garaged and not in need of clay.

Thanks!

Dawn Liquid dishwashing detergent and/or a wax remover will strip wax but will have very little effect on RejeX. RejeX is barely effected by cleaners, detergents, chemicals, acids, etc. When properly cured, RejeX is rated for 50+ detergent wash cycles.

What DOES remove RejeX is abrasion. So if you need to remove RejeX to paint, to apply a clear bra, etc., any polish will do the trick.

So in demarpaint's situation, I'd personally just wash the vehicle with Dawn (or the wax remover) and put on another coat of RejeX.

I've never used Zaino. I did recently detail my 2005 Accord (wash/claybar/Mother's Pre-wax Cleaner/Rejex). I'll let you know how the Rejex holds up.

harry j is impressed with Rejex while bret seems less impressed unless he's in direct sunlight
grin2.gif

I detailed the Accord when I purchased it in October from my mother-in-law; same procedure, except I used Collinite's Insulator Wax (845?) instead of Rejex. In spite of a tough winter and lots of car washes, the 845 held up quite well.

If I wanted a really good shine and great durability, what Zaino product would I use? Good durability = I don't have to detail the ride every four months.

Getting in on this topic later, but I got a couple of bottles ordered from True Value and have used it on all of the cars and all I can say is wow. Really quick and easy to apply and bugs to wipe off relatively easier compared to any other wax product I have used in the past, including NXT. Notice the bottle says don't apply over 90F, now with summer burning us out, I'll have to wait to apply again aroung October.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Today's detail was one of the rare instances I would use Rejex over Zaino. I had to detail a car in the direct sun (90*F temps..... yaaaay!). Rejex can be applied onto a hot surface and will wipe off without smearing or streaking. Zaino gets temperamental in the hot sun, as does almost everything else. Rejex worked just fine.

How was that helpful (other than using temperamental Zaino) to apply Rejex when (non site sponsor links removed) ?

Quote:
RejeX should be applied to a cool (less than 85° F) dry surface out of direct sunlight. If the surface is too hot, the coating will cure before it has properly bonded to the surface, and it won’t perform up to its potential. RejeX is wiped on, allowed to dry to a haze for approximately 20 minutes, wiped off, then allowed to cure for 12 hours.

I plan on trying Rejex but it won't cool down here into the 80s until late September, unless a t-storm kicks up.

Last time I applied Rejex, I washed the car early in the morning, backed it into the garage, and applied the Rejex. I let it cure overnight in the garage. That seems to work well. I try to avoid putting any of these products on in the sunlight or when it is very hot.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Backed it into the garage, and applied the Rejex.

That's a good idea. The low here is 76° (sunrise). Right now, it's 99° in my garage with an outside temp of 106°.
48.gif

And I did find a bottle of RejeX today at a TrueValue store. It had been special ordered by someone who never claimed up.

I went to the mall yesterday to cool off. I saw a great shade spot under a large tree so I pulled up and went into the mall.
After walking around a while and 2 icees later, I left.
You won't believe the amount of bird dung that can accumulate in 3 hours.
A quick trip to the car wash and it all went down the drain, it just rinsed off like it was a coat of road dust.
I really like this RejeX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back