Tips for Painting Sonya Trunk Lid ?

My ‘17 Sonada trunk lid became severely sun damaged / oxidized /faded . I tried to bring it back to life but the paint is too far gone . The Sonata trunk lid is fiberglass / plastic and I am wondering if I can just lightly sand and use the correct color spray (masking off the trunk lid) thin topping with clear coat OR do I need to use a primer first ? Again. It’s just the entire trunk lid (fiberglass /plastic piece) that deteriorated faster than the body paint (which is still in great shape). Thsnks in advance for tips !

I would see if a used trunk lid in better shape is available.

Aside from that, yes, it is possible to get a "decent" finish with rattle cans. Probably get better results if you just take the trunk to Maaco.

not sure rattle can will look better than faded oem.

Better off removing trunk lid from vehicle prepping it and having a body shop paint it.

Spell check fail - I meant Sonata … I can get the exact color match plus primer and clear coat in a small kit for about $60 . I watch Texas Metal and other custom car TV shows painting portions carefully . MAACO or similar will probably be $275 or more just to do a thin , raised trunk lid .

Back