Automotive Paint.

First thing that I have to admit is that I have never painted a car before. I have been looking at youtube videos and decided to give it a go. The car that I want to paint only has a faded Hood, Roof and trunk. What I thought would be a money saver doing it myself is fast becoming a financial nightmare. I bought a 30Gal compressor $500, Two LVLP spray guns, 1.5 tip for primer/clearcoat, 1.3 for basecoat. Now here is the problem, the paint, primer, and clearcoat are fricken expensive! I am sure that the paint shops are making hand over fist on these forever chemicals. Also the lack of knowledge on my part does not help. Is there any way arround these small paint shops? If somebody sold painting supplies on-line I am sure they can easily beat the shops that cater to bodyshops that pass the buck to the insurance companies.

You can buy paint online and usually locally too. Its not cheap. Also consider your health, if you don't know what you are doing. You have to be careful with the isocyanate paints.

I feel your pain. Seem to remember paint easily hitting $100 a gallon.
But if you already have most of the tools
Why not bite the bullet and get the paint locally. At least then the counter people can be bugged for advice or tips on how to get the most out of it.

I feel your pain. Seem to remember paint easily hitting $100 a gallon.
But if you already have most of the tools
Why not bite the bullet and get the paint locally. At least then the counter people can be bugged for advice or tips on how to get the most out of it.
I was quoted $1600 for a gallon of the top paint!

You can buy paint online and usually locally too. Its not cheap. Also consider your health, if you don't know what you are doing. You have to be careful with the isocyanate paints.
I bought a respirator! Thanks

First thing that I have to admit is that I have never painted a car before. I have been looking at youtube videos and decided to give it a go. The car that I want to paint only has a faded Hood, Roof and trunk. What I thought would be a money saver doing it myself is fast becoming a financial nightmare. I bought a 30Gal compressor $500, Two LVLP spray guns, 1.5 tip for primer/clearcoat, 1.3 for basecoat. Now here is the problem, the paint, primer, and clearcoat are fricken expensive! I am sure that the paint shops are making hand over fist on these forever chemicals. Also the lack of knowledge on my part does not help. Is there any way arround these small paint shops? If somebody sold painting supplies on-line I am sure they can easily beat the shops that cater to bodyshops that pass the buck to the insurance companies.

Good paint is expensive $100 a pint for something decent like Chroma base is normal, clear and primers are not cheap for quality.
A 1.5 is big for clear 1.3 for base and clear, 1.4-1.5 for single stage enamels, 1.5-2.0 for primers. I use a 1.8 for epoxy primers and a 1.5 for poly.
HF has cheap guns in the size for primers that are cheap enough to toss after a couple of uses. Do not use a good gun for primers then try to spray color or clear, that is a recipe for disaster.

Do not use a good gun for primers then try to spray color or clear, that is a recipe for disaster.
I’ve actually sprayed a bike frame as a still born project using PPG DC3000LV clear in a cheap $20 HF gun. It turned out better than expected.

Good paint is expensive $100 a pint for something decent like Chroma base is normal, clear and primers are not cheap for quality.
A 1.5 is big for clear 1.3 for base and clear, 1.4-1.5 for single stage enamels, 1.5-2.0 for primers. I use a 1.8 for epoxy primers and a 1.5 for poly.
HF has cheap guns in the size for primers that are cheap enough to toss after a couple of uses. Do not use a good gun for primers then try to spray color or clear, that is a recipe for disaster.
oops I meant 1.3 tip for clear and base coat. Chroma base was quoted $260 for two quarts. I need a burgandy metallic R93-P

oops I meant 1.3 tip for clear and base coat. Chroma base was quoted $260 for two quarts. I need a burgandy metallic R93-P

That is a very fair price for that paint, You can save a little on the clear by using Nason, it is the original Dupont clear formula and works well, sprays easy and it last. Primer is another story I spend the long dollar on it, the whole integrity of the paint job depends on it.

If you want a nice midi gun that can do full single panels and pay for itself in no time this is the one. I have 2 of these one for base and one for clear, it really is an outstanding little gun. The price is without VAT and they deliver in a day or two to the USA. I buy all my guns, regulators, air mask and parts from this company, they are without a doubt a real top shelf business.

You will use 30-50% less paint with this gun, I wouldnt do a big hood with it but a fender, small hood, bumper covers are no problem.

Your first paint job could turn out like a first day apprentice at a body shop even with the best paint. I like the idea of getting the HF sprayer and paint a bicycle first. Next, try the inside of a car trunk. Why shell out for all the equipment before pricing the paint? Anyway, in for a penny in for a pound.

Your first paint job could turn out like a first day apprentice at a body shop even with the best paint. I like the idea of getting the HF sprayer and paint a bicycle first. Next, try the inside of a car trunk. Why shell out for all the equipment before pricing the paint? Anyway, in for a penny in for a pound.
I always wanted a decent compressor, this was a good excuse!

Reactions: wdn
That is a very fair price for that paint, You can save a little on the clear by using Nason, it is the original Dupont clear formula and works well, sprays easy and it last. Primer is another story I spend the long dollar on it, the whole integrity of the paint job depends on it.

If you want a nice midi gun that can do full single panels and pay for itself in no time this is the one. I have 2 of these one for base and one for clear, it really is an outstanding little gun. The price is without VAT and they deliver in a day or two to the USA. I buy all my guns, regulators, air mask and parts from this company, they are without a doubt a real top shelf business.

You will use 30-50% less paint with this gun, I wouldnt do a big hood with it but a fender, small hood, bumper covers are no problem.
They sell the Nason on ebay.

I find this site interesting. I've never ordered anything from them. One of your local Napa stores probably mixes paint as well.
They have urethane base/ clear, single stage.

They sell the Nason on ebay.

The 498-00 is the one you want. Notice it is made by Axalta the company that took Duponts paint over, its a great sleeper clear but not great for white cars, for yours it is perfect. Believe it or not white can be one of the hardest colors there is to match, it needs a super clear coat paint, most will look tobacco stained tinted if its just a little too heavy and change the color totally.
For white I use Chroma Premier 72500S but it cost a small fortune at over $500 a gallon inc hardener but there is nothing (I have used anyway) better over white.

Any experience with Wanda Paint? They carry it at my local Napa Paint supply. Very reasonable. https://wandarefinish.us/

Owned by akzonobel it is a budget paint and performs like one. They also own Sikkens (high end) and Lesonal (mid tier). I like Dupont now Axalta, Glasurit (BASF), Spies Heckler and one or two others. Some of the top shelf PPG stuff is great but since I got into a peeing contest with a rep from them over some seriously crap epoxy primer I haven't used them again.

OP,

Check out Paint Society on YouTube for some good tips and ideas. He rattle canned some fenders on an old dark green CRV that turned out well.

Back