Redline.....Thinking about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I use Royal Purple in my 2001 Acura TL right now. I have 12 quarts left. Will I see any differ from Royal purple and going to redline. The only reason I am thinking of this is because I have a Amazon gift card.

Maybe in a uoa, but otherwise I think not. I used Red Line for a long time and was very happy with it. This was in daily drivers and contrary to what many say it's a very good oil for street use. One car is a Volvo 850 Turbo and I have a uoa coming up that I will post.

Get a UOA done and see how the RP is doing. Are you running it out at least 7,000 miles?

I am running the RP for about 4500 miles. Just casue my car now has 106k I do all changes more frequently.

I wouldn't use any syn type oil for 4,500 oil changes no reason or advantage,,,, unless it is a once a year or two change.Or the car is run on a track etc.

Make sure to get the Street version of Redline, They make a Racing oil and a Street oil.
The Racing version should not be used for street application, as per the Redline website.
I am using their 5W-20 oil.

I'm still thinking about Redline and still haven't come to a conclusion. Has anyone?
laugh.gif
I know it's shear stable!

Buster, I used RL for almost 20 years and it performed well, especially in my wife's Volvo 850 Turbo. I had the valve cover off at about 145k and it looked like it was brand new. I have a uoa coming up and will post it.

Ok I use Royal Purple in my 2001 Acura TL right now. I have 12 quarts left. Will I see any differ from Royal purple and going to redline. The only reason I am thinking of this is because I have a Amazon gift card.

Sure...with a gift card great! But long term think of availability. Only one auto parts store in my area carries Redline. Heck, you can find AMSOIL everywhere!

Quote:
Unfortunately, oil analysis is not very good at distinguishing wear between different formulations. Emission spectroscopy has a particle size limit of 3 to 5 microns, which means that particles larger will not be detected. Unfortunately, most serious wear issues generate wear particles in the range of 5 - 15 microns. Oil analysis only measures about 15-20% of the particles in the oil, and changing form one formulation to another is likely to change the particle size profile. Usually formulations with more antiwear additive will more aggressively react with the metal surface and when rubbing occurs will produce smaller particles. Generally, more antiwear additives will give greater iron spectrochemical numbers, even though the total iron can be lower. There are other techniques such as ferrography, which looks at the wear particles under a microscope, but now we are talking about analysis many times more expensive than spectrochemical analysis. The oils with the better spectrochemical numbers will be much less chemically active on the metal surface, so they will be less able to handle more severe loads. There is always a trade-off between chemical wear and adhesive wear. Chemical wear is the very small particles and soluble metals which is identified in the spectrochemical analysis, while adhesive wear is many orders of magnitude greater than the chemical wear, but much is not identified in spectrochemical analysis. But if you were using spectrochemical analysis as a maintenance tool and started seeing a deviation over the baseline, then you would know something was wrong.

It is very difficult for an individual to be able to look at numbers which will conclusively determine the best formulation, you simply have to rely on the reputation of the marketer and whether you trust the marketer's technical expertise. With most of our formulations, we rely on major additive manufacturers to do the basic API sequence testing to determine criteria such as antiwear, dispersancy, cleanliness, etc. All the oil companies rely on the additive manufacturers to do the engine test work. We will take their basic package and add additional antiwear, friction modifiers, oxidation inhibitors or whatever can be safely modified to provide superior performance. Some of the bench tests such as 4-Ball can be useful, but a blind adherance to optimize with one single test will result a less-than-optimum performing lubricant. There are always trade-offs in engine oils, and we try to enhance antiwear and friction reduction at higher temperatures and loads, while trying to maintain performance at lower and normal loads and temperatures.

Buster-I have used Redline 5W-30 in my 05 Sequoia starting at 10k on the odometer and now have over 70k. My oci is 10,000 miles with M1 filters. I drive this vehicle VERY hard and aggressively. On the open road I am usually doing 90 mph on cruise. I pulled a valve cover at 70k out of curiosity and everything was immaculate. I plan on keeping this vehicle for atleast 300k and running all Redline products for the duration. It is a daily driver, so the question of wether Redline products are superior in that application will be resolved for me at some point in the future. So far, I am satisfied.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
Unfortunately, oil analysis is not very good at distinguishing wear between different formulations. Emission spectroscopy has a particle size limit of 3 to 5 microns, which means that particles larger will not be detected. Unfortunately, most serious wear issues generate wear particles in the range of 5 - 15 microns. Oil analysis only measures about 15-20% of the particles in the oil, and changing form one formulation to another is likely to change the particle size profile. Usually formulations with more antiwear additive will more aggressively react with the metal surface and when rubbing occurs will produce smaller particles. Generally, more antiwear additives will give greater iron spectrochemical numbers, even though the total iron can be lower. There are other techniques such as ferrography, which looks at the wear particles under a microscope, but now we are talking about analysis many times more expensive than spectrochemical analysis. The oils with the better spectrochemical numbers will be much less chemically active on the metal surface, so they will be less able to handle more severe loads. There is always a trade-off between chemical wear and adhesive wear. Chemical wear is the very small particles and soluble metals which is identified in the spectrochemical analysis, while adhesive wear is many orders of magnitude greater than the chemical wear, but much is not identified in spectrochemical analysis. But if you were using spectrochemical analysis as a maintenance tool and started seeing a deviation over the baseline, then you would know something was wrong.

It is very difficult for an individual to be able to look at numbers which will conclusively determine the best formulation, you simply have to rely on the reputation of the marketer and whether you trust the marketer's technical expertise. With most of our formulations, we rely on major additive manufacturers to do the basic API sequence testing to determine criteria such as antiwear, dispersancy, cleanliness, etc. All the oil companies rely on the additive manufacturers to do the engine test work. We will take their basic package and add additional antiwear, friction modifiers, oxidation inhibitors or whatever can be safely modified to provide superior performance. Some of the bench tests such as 4-Ball can be useful, but a blind adherance to optimize with one single test will result a less-than-optimum performing lubricant. There are always trade-offs in engine oils, and we try to enhance antiwear and friction reduction at higher temperatures and loads, while trying to maintain performance at lower and normal loads and temperatures.

Sorry if I missed it but where does this come from? I haven't seen some of the detail info here before and wonder how factually-based it is. I'm inclined to believe it is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back