Redline Professional Series 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be 0w20, don't know for sure but it was labeled 5w20. I am posting for Corey, maybe he will shed light if that was a typo. In my experience Blackstone is very good.

[Linked Image]

Well, it's was Corey's error, he forgot to write it down and Blackstone assumed visc based on cst, but this oil is 0w20. If mods think to change it in title, cool.

Where does Redline get its base oils and additives from? Might be ghe same as SuperTech oil.
Whoever currently owns Redline (ConocoPhillips?) can "brand aura" the Redline name to sell Group3 full syns at high prices.

They could get PAO from ChevronPhillips ? But this GIII thing will really have me thinking twice on the name "Redline" … guess some lines still mention ester on the bottle … but new challenge to understand what is the real deal …

Originally Posted by paoester
Where does Redline get its base oils and additives from? Might be ghe same as SuperTech oil.
Whoever currently owns Redline (ConocoPhillips?) can "brand aura" the Redline name to sell Group3 full syns at high prices.

As far as I know the brand is still owned by ConocoPhillips, so I'd be surprised if they're sourcing from anyone else..and as mentioned, ConocoPhillips and Chevron have a joint venture producing both grp4 and 5 lubricants.

Last edited:
At least the old ester racing (high performance non-API certified street formula) oils are in a separate line. Its just consumer confusion that makes this bad.

Originally Posted by paoester
At least the old ester racing (high performance non-API certified street formula) oils are in a separate line. Its just consumer confusion that makes this bad.

Agreed.. they worked hard to get that rep for very high quality lubes, why dilute it?

Why dilute their reputation you ask? Short term bucks. The old cats want to retire soon you know. Seriously. ..... I think it is clever for the execs at Redline-ConocoPhillips-or-whoever-owns-the-brand to completely fool non-BITOG people with this Pro Series line. They can charge higher prices for an oil comparable to SuperTech or Mag1, etc. Smart business. Deceptive, sure. Deception is Marketing 101 though. In a textbook on Marketing, this is known as "brand leveraging", a shiny-happy way of saying "deception".

Last edited:
Does it hurt amsoil to have lesser quality lineups? There are many applications where the stoutness of their high end line aren't appropriate, this addresses that. I wouldn't run it just because for those said applications there are cheaper choices, without sacrificing anything.

Originally Posted by Cheburashka
TBN is Only 7.5 ???

Clearly they have went after the low saps crowd.. I guess they want traditional engines such as anything that isn't di turbo to use their high end stuff.

This on the euro professional oil.

Full-synthetic low-SAPS formula for passenger vehicles, OEM-certified for use under vehicle warranty
For extended drain intervals and fuel economy of the latest global gasoline/petrol and direct-injection diesel engines with particulate filters
Factory approved for API SN, BMW LL-04, Porsche C30, Mercedes Benz-Approval 229.51 and VW-Audi 507.00/504.00
Recommended for ACEA C3-12, Chrysler MS 11106, GM dexos2®, Light-Duty GM Diesel 4-cyl and 6-cyl engines (2.0T, 1.6T, 2.8T) and Mercedes Benz 229.31
BMW, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and VW-Audi approval letters are available by request

Originally Posted by 4WD
They could get PAO from ChevronPhillips ? But this GIII thing will really have me thinking twice on the name "Redline" … guess some lines still mention ester on the bottle … but new challenge to understand what is the real deal …

It's not a challenge with them.

Professional = no Group V
High Performance, Powersports, Racing = has Group V.

They have it because people have been bugging them that they want API approved oil for new car warranty. So they now make it.

Originally Posted by Mainia
They have it because people have been bugging them that they want API approved oil for new car warranty. So they now make it.

Finally someone gets what's really going on.

True, but I think some wanted a full/majority POE/PAO that is API approved.

Originally Posted by buster

Possibly but everyone wanted a API approved Royal Purple oil awhile back, so they put that on the market and certain people have done nothing but complain about that as well.

We put too much stress on the makeup of oils period.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

Possibly but everyone wanted a API approved Royal Purple oil awhile back, so they put that on the market and certain people have done nothing but complain about that as well.

I agree. What made Redline unique though was it's use of POE base oil. While percentages were never known, it was assumed POE represented a substantial amount of RL's base oil formulation. The oxidation testing we've seen did show a high number, indicating RL was and still is use a good slug of POE. Years ago people were calling for essentially this same base oil blend, minus the high ZDP/Ca. Instead we possibly ended up with CP/Kendall in a Redline bottle LOL.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

I agree. What made Redline unique though was it's use of POE base oil. While percentages were never known, it was assumed POE represented a substantial amount of RL's base oil formulation. The oxidation testing we've seen did show a high number, indicating RL was and still is use a good slug of POE. Years ago people were calling for essentially this same base oil blend, minus the high ZDP/Ca. Instead we possibly ended up with CP/Kendall in a Redline bottle LOL.

Just like everyone thinks that Valvoline and Royal Purple API oils are one of the same as well ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back