Redline Oil as an additive, revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
might want to look at Redlines real racing synthetics, no additives for longevity but lots of other goodies! although we are not "supposed" to mix oils from different manufacturers Redline states they mix with all oils. least not we forget all the posts about "upsetting" the add pack, only a real oil blender knows for sure. i put 2 qts of their real synthetic with my mostly fake synthetic Mobil I, does it do anything but make my wallet lighter + me feel good, who knows!!

I think it's a decent "additive", but there are cheaper oils with around 750 and higher PPM of oil-soluble moly, like some Eneos oils and Mazda's 0W-20. For ZDDP, there are more cost-effective super concentrated ZDDP additives. Esters are the more expensive part. Zinc Replacement Additive (ZRA) was already mentioned which is 100% polymer ester. Red Line uses polyolester as many people know. Those two esters have very different properties so the two are not one-for-one alternatives for the other. You must know what you are trying to improve by using an ester and the one you select better be known to provide that improvement.

It's not like you are adding a fake boutique that is really nothing but gimmicks, redline actually is ester/pao and nothing fake about it like many other boutiques that are really really good at marketing, less so with formula, whereas Redline seams to be bad at marketing great with formula. There is a reason why so many engines run smooth on the stuff, and it isn't just viscosity, 5w20 ended my hemi tick over other 5w20's, explain that seeing how viscosity of 5w20 is basically the same? Polar esters, dense base oil, branch chain effect of pao, super high moly, high zddp? BTW, the fake boutiques have next to none of this. Adding a qrt of redline would probably take a crank case full of generic oil and making it at least as good as the fake boutiques. I'd rather have 6 qrts super tech and 1 qrt redline then 7 qrts over hyped oil that formula is very similar to the generic oil you just used if you judge the base oil by hths and cSt, which is how you should judge a base oil. I like the strategy, but personally would just opt for redline all the way. Especially in the cold states and countries, redline juice is worth the squeeze. We got guys from hemi forum running reldine in Canada, Sweden, Mass, Mich, that are very impressed with redline over other oils in the cold. Google cold flow oil tests and see for yourself. I doubt you would get that crystal clear cold flow like you do with 100% redline as far as just using a qrt...

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/hj3X_o0_NCo?t=39[/video]

I'll discuss oil and videos, not the people. The video is goofy, and that's an understatement. When I want to know how an oil performs in the cold, I look at the SAE grade and other specifications. I don't put samples of oil in used Coke bottles and hang them from the clothesline in winter.

It does good in specifications for sure, but nothing like a picture or video to show you Redline is the last oil to cloud up under cold conditions, of course there are many video's out there that SHOW this, I'll spare the thread of reposting those. Maybe if the guy used a beaker instead of Coke bottles you all would appreciate that, well kinda doubt it. Those vii's that cheat the CCS will let you down on the backside of your intervals, where pao/ester base does that function more naturally and needs fewer vii's to make those specs on cold flow. Glad I found BITOG in 2006 to even know about redline, of course I didn't use it til much later, but glad I did. I don't miss the tick that is gone becaiuse of the stout formula and second to none base oils.

The fella is in Canada, I'm just saying that adding a qrt as an additive the purpose of this thread to x amount of group 3, will likely take away that crystal clear cold performance of straight redline oil that you obviously get.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Much, much harder to find or have shipped up to Canada, a lot of on-line sellers don't ship to Canada.

RockAuto ships to Canada and has a warehouse in Ontario. Further, they charge Canadian Sales tax so that you don't get dinged with duty if it ships from their US warehouses. Just so you know.

Last edited:
Using a relatively unique oil as an additive to makes more sense than using a additive.

In neither case are you assuming that things like the W grading are maintained and you are adding something that if it carries certifications is at least going to be miscible per d6922.

Add Lucas and you add thick while subtracting Pom's of additives. W performance could also be anywhere.

Nylon 25w60 adds thick, adds solvency, adds mucho zinc, but not much sulfsted ash...way preferable IMO.

Redline as an additive was always on my rational action list

So let me chime in here... Considering an ad pack is designed to work for its designed purpose and oci, im thinking it may be better to just pony up and spend a few bucks more on a better jug of oil than mixing.

Originally Posted by burla
The fella is in Canada, I'm just saying that adding a qrt as an additive the purpose of this thread to x amount of group 3, will likely take away that crystal clear cold performance of straight redline oil that you obviously get.

I would agree. To get the most benefit, use it as formulated, fully formulated.

addyguy: Autopartsway's Canadian website had Red Line the last time I checked. They had the motor oil; I was happier they had some of the driveline fluids.

Originally Posted by addyguy
For basically as long as this site has been around, many people here have been impressed by the absolute overkill amounts of additives in Redline oils, as well as their POE base.

Many have suggested that Redline oil is best used as an 'oil additive' to a regular fill of oil, as opposed to straight up. We have seen some good UOA's with that combo many years ago.

I'm bringing back the idea, but this time with their new 'powersports' line of oils - they boast having an ester base, 2200ppm of Zn, and over 400ppm moly. Lots of grades - 10W-30, 0W-40,...right up to 10W-60.

Rough calculations have that if you added 1 quart to a 4-quart fill of 0W-20, you'd get a 0W-30 ester-blend with close to 1000ppm Zn, which isn't excessive. Pretty cool.

This is certainly an interesting idea.... I'm going to try this.. I just purchased / ordered a single quart of 5W20 Redline Synthetic Oil for my 2017 Jeep Patriot and plan on adding this single quart to my usual STP full Synthetic at my next OCI ... I'll be subbing one quart of the STP SYN with the single quart of Redline.... Interesting thing though is that after purchasing the Redline qt, I went to the Redline website and it indicated that their 5w20 is NOT a match for my 2017 Patriot... odd as 5W20 is what my owner's manual indicates is required and it's also all Ive used since buying it...

Hi found this online- it is a 2015 safety data sheet for redline motor oils and indicates percentage of pao-25-60 at that time. Do remember a more recent safety data sheet from redline in 2017-2018 that had pao content less than 90 percent. The current safety data sheet does not mention specific basestocks.
https://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/828863_MOTOR OIL.pdf

This is the post was referring to regarding pao content. The safety data sheet in the post does not come up anymore-but there was discussion about the basestocks and use of a heavier pao.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4538460/Redline_updated_SDS_90__PAO

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spiderbypass
Hi found this online- it is a 2015 safety data sheet for redline motor oils and indicates percentage of pao-25-60 at that time. Do remember a more recent safety data sheet from redline in 2017-2018 that had pao content less than 90 percent. The current safety data sheet does not mention specific basestocks.
https://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/828863_MOTOR OIL.pdf

This is the post was referring to regarding pao content. The safety data sheet in the post does not come up anymore-but there was discussion about the basestocks and use of a heavier pao.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4538460/Redline_updated_SDS_90__PAO

The post I made in this thread

had this image in it:
[Linked Image]

Thank you for finding that table. Would be interested to know which viscosity grades contain greater POE content. Might assume the 0 weight grades have more PAO content-but could be mistaken because remember someone noting the one type of PAO is a heavier basestock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back